Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   We're just on the edge of exploding !!! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1627)

BlitzburghRockCity 09-01-2005 12:24 AM

We're just on the edge of exploding !!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05244/563518.stm

Roethlisberger accepts pressure

Thursday, September 01, 2005
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher pulled quarterback Ben Roethlisberger aside the past week and had a talk with him about pressure, and not the kind he has in the tires on his Harley.

http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/...s0827c_230.jpg

"I just make sure that every time he throws an incompletion or he misses a read that people don't overreact,'' Cowher said.

"He is going to be held to a very high standard," he said, adding that he tells Roethlisberger: "Don't put any undue pressure on yourself. Just continue to grow as a quarterback, grow as a player.''

Roethlisberger carries a 30.0 passer rating into the final preseason game tonight against the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte, N.C., and has not produced a touchdown in three preseason games. Pressure, he said, is not necessarily a bad thing.

"I put pressure on myself because I want to be the best. I get disappointed with myself when we don't score and when I don't complete passes. On the flip side of the coin, I look at it like I feel much better about myself, where this offense is and where I am in the offense.

"I really feel that I'm disappointed I'm not playing as good as I could, but I feel I'm coming along pretty good and I think this offense is going to be coming along with me."

Teammates say Roethlisberger is not ignoring the obvious, that he and the offense have improved this summer.

"We're just on the edge of exploding,'' receiver Cedrick Wilson said. "We're leaving a lot of plays out there on the football field, a lot of them, and, if we make those plays, you'll be talking about how we're overachieving right now. We're just one play away from opening this thing up, and I hope that it happens."

Hines Ward, who has played briefly in just two games, said they don't want to be at their best right now anyway.

"Yes, we have to get better, but we don't need to be clicking on all four cylinders right now. We don't want to max out. It's a learning curve. We're all getting better and we're getting a feel for one another and I think we'll jell with one another."

Said Roethlisberger, "The thing that's most important for us is that we score against Tennessee [in the season opener]."

Bamataco1 09-02-2005 09:58 AM

Re: We're just on the edge of exploding !!!

By the look of our starting offense it looks more like we are on the verge of imploding.

BlitzburghRockCity 09-02-2005 10:28 AM

I hope that edge isnt too far off becuz right now our offense looks like its too far off.

SteelR1 09-02-2005 10:29 AM

We'll be okay,,, I would much rather have them look like ass in the preseason, but we will certainly see come Sep 11th..

If our offense could match our defense, that would be the team of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!

Koopa 09-02-2005 02:02 PM

for some reason i'm not to worried, usually i am but my gut feeling tells me that offense will be just fine. hopefully i'm not wrong.

Prosdo 09-02-2005 04:39 PM

I'm not really worried right now. I do think Ben needs to relax and have a little more confidence. The offense will get it together.

Koopa 09-02-2005 05:27 PM

he'll get that after week one. after willie runs past everyone and he gets a touchdown to heath, he'll get that confidence he needs and it'll be a great season, maybe not 15-1 but it'll be good enough for us to win the division and get us into detroit. awwready

bigbensgirl7 09-02-2005 08:32 PM

Alright, here's my thought on the offense. First off, Ben is always stronger in the 2nd half, and has yet to play in a 2nd half. We are also being very conservitive and I don't think we have shown the rest of the league what to expect. I truely believe we are ok. Everyone keeps saying what a great camp Ben is having and I just have to believe that is true. There is a possiblity maybe we will get off to a slow start...but it won't be the 1st time and we seem to still make the playoffs when we do. Every one needs to calm down a bit and put faith in your team. We will be ok, and I think you are going to see an entirely different offense come week 1 then we have in the preseason! HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!

Suitanim 09-02-2005 08:50 PM

I agree...I don't believe we have even started gameplanning yet, at least not to any real extent. All the players are saying that they are crisp in camp and can't seem to translate that into the games, and the day I was there is definitely in line with that. They have 10 days to get in game shape, and I expect they will be there.

We are usually a pretty slow starting team, not just the first game but usually the first month. As long as we beat the Titans, I'm not particularly concerned exactly how we do it. Every team needs an identity, and a little time to find it. Hopefully by time we play the Pats they've found out for themselves who the 2005 Steelers are...

Koopa 09-02-2005 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbensgirl7
Alright, here's my thought on the offense. First off, Ben is always stronger in the 2nd half, and has yet to play in a 2nd half. We are also being very conservitive and I don't think we have shown the rest of the league what to expect. I truely believe we are ok. Everyone keeps saying what a great camp Ben is having and I just have to believe that is true. There is a possiblity maybe we will get off to a slow start...but it won't be the 1st time and we seem to still make the playoffs when we do. Every one needs to calm down a bit and put faith in your team. We will be ok, and I think you are going to see an entirely different offense come week 1 then we have in the preseason! HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!

great great post, that is the exact reason why i haven't been to worried about ben, he usally doesn't play to well in the first half then bam second half comes and he's throwing clutch passes and touchdowns when it matters the most. he'll be ready for the titans, and we'll start this season on a good note, por favor believe it

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!! :tt: :tt: :tt: