Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   PFW's take on our draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16685)

lamberts-lost-tooth 05-06-2007 02:14 PM

PFW's take on our draft

Pro Football Weekly's take on the Steeler draft

15. Pittsburgh — OLB Lawrence Timmons, Florida State
Timmons gives the Steelers the flexibility to line up in a 3-4 or 4-3 front, and his versatility was most attractive to the Steelers. Timmons has pass-rush ability, but he is best as a weak-side linebacker in a 4-3 front, an indicator to me that the Steelers may be looking to move from the 3-4 defense they have long run to the Tampa-2 system that head coach Mike Tomlin so successfully implemented in Minnesota in his previous stop as defensive coordinator. Timmons has a lot of upside, and if the defense is kept simple and he is allowed to be turned loose, he could excel. However, if he is asked to do too much, especially early on, he could struggle. With cornerbacks slipping and the depth of the LB class being weaker, it made sense for the Steelers to pass on Leon Hall, but the Steelers could have traded down, acquired more picks and still landed Timmons.

46. Pittsburgh — DE-LB LaMarr Woodley, Michigan
The Steelers had a need for pass rushers and nabbed another one, after selecting OLB Lawrence Timmons in the first round, who could provide some scheme flexibility. Woodley does not have great workout numbers, but he made plays for the Wolverines and came up with big plays in the clutch.

77. Pittsburgh — TE Matt Spaeth, Minnesota
Spaeth drew a massive showing to his pro-day workout because he did not work out at the Combine while recovering from a shoulder injury. He is one of the best blockers in the draft and has the type of tough-minded, hard-nosed mentality to endear himself to the Pittsburgh brass. The Steelers, who like to use a lot of multiple-TE packages, landed a warrior.

112. Pittsburgh — P Daniel Sepulveda
Chris Gardocki struggled with his accuracy and placement last year, landing fewer punts (11) inside the 20 than any other punter in the league. Sepulveda is a precision punter with a booming leg and should improve the Steelers' field position. He was clearly drafted to play now and can be penciled in as a starter.

132. Pittsburgh — DE Ran McBean, Ryan
Ryan McBean is a developmental base end well-suited for a 3-4 front. If he can learn to play every down with a greater sense of urgency, he could be a solid pro.

156. Pittsburgh —G Cameron Stephenson
The Rutgers OG flashed a lot of raw ability as a first-year starter after moving from defensive tackle and fits the mold of a Steelers offensive lineman. He is strong, powerful and fairly light on his feet. With Alan Faneca dissatisfied in Pittsburgh, it is a bit surprising the Steelers did not act a little sooner to secure a guard.

170. Pittsburgh —CB William Gay
A classic cover-2 corner with great ball skills. He does not have great speed, but he fits what head coach Mike Tomlin desires in cornerbacks and, if asked to only defend short areas, he could contribute.

227. Pittsburgh —WR Dallas Baker
Could turn out to be a good value in the seventh round. He has very long arms, decent quickness and was the go-to receiver for the national-champion Gators. He has the size that the Steelers like and could be a factor in the red zone.

tony hipchest 05-06-2007 02:42 PM

Re: PFW's take on our draft

other than he will never be a primary target like gates or gonzales, i have yet to read anything negative about who i initially thought was our worst draft pick:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6753028

Quote:

READY TO PLAY
Matt Spaeth, tght end, Steelers: The Steelers have an excellent young tight end named Heath Miller, so why did they select Spaeth? Two tight-end sets have become very popular in the NFL, and teams like the Patriots have demonstrated that you can do more than just run the ball with two big guys on the field. Spaeth is the best blocker in this year's draft class, so he can stay at home to protect Ben Roethlisberger or seal off linebackers on running plays while Miller splits the seam. Spaeth is the second coming of Mark Breuener, a tough blocker who started for the Steelers for nearly a decade.

Elvis 05-06-2007 03:34 PM

When I seen the pick for the first time, I was thinkin' what in the world are they doing. But the more I hear about him, the more I like what I hear. And he is massive for the TE position, but I wouldnt be suprised to see him as an OLineman at sometime during his upcoming career.
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Mosca 05-06-2007 05:53 PM

I still say Spaeth is going to add some weight and move to taclke, where he will become a perennial Pro-Bowler.

Tom

rlg09 06-30-2007 10:51 AM

I love the Cameron Stephenson pick, he has a ton of potential and really solidified a very good Rutgers line last year

pittsburghp8baller 06-30-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosca (Post 245189)
I still say Spaeth is going to add some weight and move to taclke, where he will become a perennial Pro-Bowler.

Tom

what is wrong with him that will make him change position?

i told all of yall on draft day this was a good pick. im glad some people are starting to realize that. i think he could be a better tight end than the first two tight ends taken before him (im pretty sure their were two tight ends taken before him- i know olsen and then zach miller was before him im pretty sure)

Elvis 06-30-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller (Post 261356)
what is wrong with him that will make him change position?

i told all of yall on draft day this was a good pick. im glad some people are starting to realize that. i think he could be a better tight end than the first two tight ends taken before him (im pretty sure their were two tight ends taken before him- i know olsen and then zach miller was before him im pretty sure)

He might be a better blocker and a decent reciever coming out of college, but he will be primarily used as a Blocking TE or extra tackle. The Steelers say almost every year that they are gonna use the TE's more... well, have been hearing that for years now, and until I actually see it, then I dont believe it. Heath Miller is an excellent recieving TE, so if anyone is gonna catch those passes over the middle then it should be him.
:tt02:

The Duke 06-30-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 (Post 261361)
He might be a better blocker and a decent reciever coming out of college, but he will be primarily used as a Blocking TE or extra tackle. The Steelers say almost every year that they are gonna use the TE's more... well, have been hearing that for years now, and until I actually see it, then I dont believe it. Heath Miller is an excellent recieving TE, so if anyone is gonna catch those passes over the middle then it should be him.
:tt02:

Totally agree with you, he'll be used mostly on blocking and will receive the occasional pass IF he's open. I think I read an interview with arians or tomlin that said this exact same thing.

SteelCzar76 07-01-2007 08:48 PM

The player that has drawn the most 'intrigue' or accolades from Tomlin/Colbert's Draft class,........is a Punter.

That about sums things for me.:coffee:

dhosmer 07-01-2007 09:08 PM

i really like our last two picks. it seems we got some great value at a point in the draft that most people just toss in the towel. i'm excited to see if gay or baker can make anything of the opportunity.