Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   League considering expanding the schedule (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16733)

lamberts-lost-tooth 05-10-2007 11:36 AM

League considering expanding the schedule

League considering expanding the schedule
Thu, 10 May 2007

Barry Wilner, of The Associated Press, reports the NFL is discussing the possibility of adding an extra regular season game and having each of those games played somewhere outside the United States. The idea is in the preliminary stages and would not become a reality until 2009 or 2010.

fansince'76 05-10-2007 11:41 AM

Re: League considering expanding the schedule

Would they scale the preseason back to 3 games while increasing the regular season schedule to 17 games (much like they did back in '78 from 6 games to 4 games, while increasing the regular season from 14 to 16 games)?

Atlanta Dan 05-10-2007 11:50 AM

From a TV contract standpoint (and that is the straw that stirs the revenue drink), the regular season games do not start until after Labor Day due to ratings. I doubt the starting date for the regular season would move up.

If the regular season expands to 17 games, I guess they could dump the bye week or just extend the season to the point the Super Bowl is played President's Day weekend.

Sounds like a way to increase TV revenue rather than anything to do with expanding the game overseas (a losing proposition as American influence wanes worldwide and basketball appears to be the "American" sport that most readily will have a worldwide appeal).

Anything that cuts down the number of preseason games works for me.

Newzfoxjr 05-10-2007 12:08 PM

Yeah, preseason just isn't cool. I don't know about having all of the extra week (whenever they decide they are being played) being played outside of the US, but this way the season ticket holders wouldn't lose a game...

Jeremy 05-10-2007 12:41 PM

Dumb

Dumb

Dumb

Although teams like Buffalo (Toronto) and Detroit (Windsor) already have built in Canadian games.

stlrtruck 05-10-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 246104)
From a TV contract standpoint (and that is the straw that stirs the revenue drink), the regular season games do not start until after Labor Day due to ratings. I doubt the starting date for the regular season would move up.

If the regular season expands to 17 games, I guess they could dump the bye week or just extend the season to the point the Super Bowl is played President's Day weekend.

Sounds like a way to increase TV revenue rather than anything to do with expanding the game overseas (a losing proposition as American influence wanes worldwide and basketball appears to be the "American" sport that most readily will have a worldwide appeal).

Anything that cuts down the number of preseason games works for me.

With ratings now starting to change, moving the season back 2 weeks won't hurt their ratings what so ever. It's definitely not a driving force in the task (although it is one to consider).

I remember growing up and I would look forward to Labor Day Weekend - that was the start of the NFL season. There were a lot of traditions in the NFL when I grew up. Too bad they don't look forward to holding on to those traditions.

Petesburgh66 05-11-2007 12:01 AM

This is what I heard today on the Fan590 in Toronto with Lee Hamilton on the bullpen.

Nothing is concrete but:

- Pre-season games would be reduced from 4 to 3.
- The season would start on labour day weekend with games overseas
- Teams playing a game say in Toyko, Sydney or London would have to get the bye the following week (to account for all the travelling)

The biggest hurdle is that their isn't enough international markets with the right venues to host the games. So a city 4 rotation is possibility.

I think this is a dumb idea. Almost as dumb as the rumour the NFL wants to do a three day draft, with the first round held on Friday night (with the TV rights going to the highest bidder).

Atlanta Dan 05-11-2007 08:14 AM

I agree that I cannot think of 16 cities overseas that would want to host an NFL game. Add travel to Europe being a lot less cumbersome than travel to East Asia/South Africa (or Baghdad? - someone can throw out the first IED to kickoff that one) and the logistics do not add up.

Since expansion to 17 games gives some teams an extra home game, I think this is a stalking horse to expand the regular season by 2 games for more broadcast $$$ - when it is agreed 16 overseas games do not make sense they will move on to the real Plan A, which is to go with 2 exhibitions and an 18 game regular season. This will move the Super Bowl to late February but as long as the season ends before CBS broadcasts March Madness that does not create any broadcasting conflicts.