Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Keshawn Johnson to retire (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=16960)

83-Steelers-43 05-23-2007 02:24 PM

Keshawn Johnson to retire

Johnson turns down Titans, will retire
ESPN.com news services

Keyshawn Johnson has declined an offer from the Tennessee Titans and has decided to retire.

The wide receiver, who also expected to receive an offer from the Oakland Raiders, is expected to announce his decision at a Wednesday afternoon news conference at his alma mater of USC, his agent, Jerome Stanley, told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Johnson will pursue a broadcasting career with ESPN.

"Following Keyshawn's retirement announcement we plan an announcement on his joining ESPN," the network said Wednesday.

"The timing of it was just right," Stanley said of Johnson's decision. "There were a couple of slots open in broadcasting. He was either going to retire this year or next year, but the timing just turned out to be right now."

Johnson, who turns 35 in July, was released by the Carolina Panthers earlier this month after the Panthers drafted Southern California wideout Dwayne Jarrett. He had 70 catches for 815 yards and four touchdowns for Carolina in 2006.

Johnson, the No. 1 pick in the 1996 NFL draft, has started 162 of 167 games in his 11 NFL seasons that spans stints with Carolina, Dallas, Tampa Bay and the New York Jets. He retires with 814 career receptions for 10,571 yards and has 64 touchdowns.

He worked as an analyst on ESPN's televised coverage of the the NFL draft last month.

Johnson had visited the Titans on Friday and met with coaches and watched film. Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who became friends with Johnson while he played at USC and Johnson was a ball boy, said Monday he thought Johnson's numbers and production spoke for themselves.

"He still played at a high-level last year. He takes very good care of himself," Fisher said. "He hasn't had any injuries per se. Anytime you get a chance to bring an experienced veteran in to add to your roster then it's a good thing."

But Johnson decided to leave the field for the broadcast booth -- though he was coy about his plans.

"Out of respect for the announcement I plan to make, I just want to wait until the press conference for everyone to find out," Johnson told The Associated Press. "If there's a lot of rumors and stuff out there, that's fun."

ESPN.com senior writers Michael Smith and John Clayton and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2879994

rbryan 05-23-2007 02:55 PM

Re: Keshawn Johnson to retire

This is a good example of why todays players act like they do. Johnson, who was an above avg player, is known mainly for his me me, bad attitude. Leave it to ESPN to give this guy a job. He'll fit in nicely over there, probably taking that crack head Irvins spot. (You know Irvin must have really Screwed up this time if ESPN cut him loose right before his Hall of Fame induction) Keyshawn certainly won't have a problem talking about himself for hours on end. I'll bet ESPN can't wait for TO to retire.

83-Steelers-43 05-23-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryan (Post 250074)
This is a good example of why todays players act like they do. Johnson, who was an above avg player, is known mainly for his me me, bad attitude. Leave it to ESPN to give this guy a job. He'll fit in nicely over there, probably taking that crack head Irvins spot. (You know Irvin must have really Screwed up this time if ESPN cut him loose right before his Hall of Fame induction) Keyshawn certainly won't have a problem talking about himself for hours on end. I'll bet ESPN can't wait for TO to retire.

Granted, ESPN hires these idiots, but somebody was watching Irvin every week. ESPN did not fire Irvin because of lack of ratings, but because the guy is a complete bum.

Somebody will be watching Keyshawn Johnson every week. So while ESPN does deserve some of the blame, the people who watch scumbags such as Michael Irvin are not helping matters.

fansince'76 05-23-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 (Post 250076)
Somebody will be watching Keyshawn Johnson every week. So while ESPN does deserve some of the blame, the people who watch scumbags such as Michael Irvin are not helping matters.

Guess I'm in the clear - I refuse to watch that network with the exception of a Steelers game being broadcast on it.

83-Steelers-43 05-23-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 250078)
Guess I'm in the clear - I refuse to watch that network with the exception of a Steelers game being broadcast on it.

I'm right there next to you.

Livinginthe past 05-23-2007 04:46 PM

Anyone think this is the type of retirement that might become a Seau-type 'graduation' if the right player gets injured in TC and the right team comes calling with enough money?

There seems to be a definite lack of WR talent in the NFL at this time.

tony hipchest 05-23-2007 04:50 PM

with enough $$$ offered he could be lured back. titans were pretty stupid for lowballing him.

rbryan 05-23-2007 05:42 PM

He seems awfully happy with his new TV gig, way more camera time.

MACH1 05-23-2007 06:14 PM

And he'll have a new book 'Just give me the damn mic'

MasterOfPuppets 05-23-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrabt (Post 250137)
And he'll have a new book 'Just give me the damn mike'

mic......:coffee: