Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Most parents don't use TV V-chip, survey finds (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17470)

SteelCityMan786 06-19-2007 02:34 PM

Most parents don't use TV V-chip, survey finds

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07170/795355-100.stm
Quote:

Most parents don't use TV V-chip, survey finds
But they are monitoring children's online activity

Tuesday, June 19, 2007
By Sally Kalson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Most parents still aren't using the V-chip filtering device in their TV sets to block objectionable programming, but the vast majority are monitoring what their children do online.

A national survey released this morning by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that only 16 percent of parents have ever used the V-chip. Some 82 percent had bought a new TV since the chip became required in January 2000, but 57 percent of them weren't even aware of the device.

Yet most parents are checking their offspring's Instant Messaging buddy lists (87 percent), reviewing their profiles on social networking sites (82 percent) and looking to see what Web sites they've visited (76 percent).

The survey -- available online -- also found that few parents of young children understand the TV ratings system. For example, only 11 percent know that "FV" means "fantasy violence," while 9 percent think it means "family viewing."
Monitoring what your child watches on TV is in important, but must of the problems today are with the internet. Parents have to worry about their kids meeting a stranger and getting kidnapped raped and murdered, etc.

Most kids(like me) should be able to tell what is appropriate for them to watch and what isn't. I feel that kids(starting at age 12 or 13) should be able to start figuring for ourselves what is/isn't appropriate to watch on TV.

Just my 2 cents on this one.

stlrtruck 06-19-2007 03:25 PM

Re: Most parents don't use TV V-chip, survey finds

Personally, from a parent's standpoint, I'm involved in both the tv and internet monitoring. While at times, I've been lax with my oldest daughter's online activity, I still make a point to interact with her while she's online, checking out websites (which is mostly myspace), and IMs.

As for the tv, I actively monitor what all my children watch.

PisnNapalm 06-19-2007 03:26 PM

I monitor what the kids watch and what they do online. They have to ask permission to do either.

SteelCityMan786 06-19-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PisnNapalm (Post 257730)
I monitor what the kids watch and what they do online. They have to ask permission to do either.

Doesn't hurt to do that.

tony hipchest 06-19-2007 06:35 PM

my dad cant program the clock on his VCR but flies a sattelite for NASA via computer commands :hunch:

he can take sattelite image photographs of my back yard from space, yet still hasnt figured out how to take a picture with his cellphone (which he finally broke down and bought 6 months ago).

parents are just weird.... especially when it comes to modern technology.

CantStop85 06-19-2007 08:06 PM

If I were a parent I might monitor computer use, just because of the stuff they could possibly expose themselves to...at least until they're 14 or 15. But I don't really see much of a need to set limits on television...let the kids grow up.

My cousin is really strict with her children about any kind of technology use. I don't think they watch TV more than one hour per day and they only use the computer for homework and such. Anyway, the oldest boy turned out to be gay and the second child (a girl) basically turned into a complete hoe. Coincidence? I think not.

SteelCityMan786 06-19-2007 08:14 PM

Nope, and you can tell that your cousin is a strict parent.

tony hipchest 06-19-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantStop85 (Post 257794)
If I were a parent I might monitor computer use, just because of the stuff they could possibly expose themselves to...at least until they're 14 or 15. But I don't really see much of a need to set limits on television...let the kids grow up.

My cousin is really strict with her children about any kind of technology use. I don't think they watch TV more than one hour per day and they only use the computer for homework and such. Anyway, the oldest boy turned out to be gay and the second child (a girl) basically turned into a complete hoe. Coincidence? I think not.

:sofunny:

so before the invention of tv and the computer, america was full of a bunch of fags and hoes? :huh:

how did we get here? :confused:

:computer:

Livinginthe past 06-19-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 257800)
:sofunny:

so before the invention of tv and the computer, america was full of a bunch of fags and hoes? :huh:

how did we get here? :confused:

:computer:

You lot were warned about the dangers of independence!

Its not too late for the lost sheep to come back to the flock :wink02:

SteelCityMan786 06-19-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livinginthe past (Post 257867)
You lot were warned about the dangers of independence!

Its not too late for the lost sheep to come back to the flock :wink02:

Why should we? We enjoy our friendship as seperate countries.