Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Pirates (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Bucs get blanked by a pitcher with a 10.97 ERA?? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17503)

PisnNapalm 06-21-2007 10:13 AM

Bucs get blanked by a pitcher with a 10.97 ERA??

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07172/796012-63.stm

:dang: That's just pathetic. In some ways I'm glad I don't live near enough to Pittsburgh. I know I'd want to go to more than a few baseball games. PNC Park is fantastic. It's a shame that it's wasted on such a crap team. :banging:

Mosca 06-21-2007 10:38 AM

Re: Bucs get blanked by a pitcher with a 10.97 ERA??

Quote:

Although the Pirates have fared better in winning five of eight, that has had mostly to do with pitching. Their .314 on-base percentage and total of 202 walks each ranks second-lowest in Major League Baseball.

And those numbers point -- sharply -- to a lack of commanding the strike zone, which is the key to putting pressure on a pitcher, which is the key to creating hitter's counts, which is the key to drawing pitches to drive with authority.

Good writing, pointed analysis.

Tom

verks36 06-21-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PisnNapalm (Post 258218)
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07172/796012-63.stm

:dang: That's just pathetic. In some ways I'm glad I don't live near enough to Pittsburgh. I know I'd want to go to more than a few baseball games. PNC Park is fantastic. It's a shame that it's wasted on such a crap team. :banging:

Yes it is harsh but look at it this way.

The MLB is a league where big market team have huge advantages on small market teams. How can a team compete with another team that has over tens times there pay roll. The pirates arent going to spend much money so ya some times they will be embarrassed. The MLB salary cap is just plain out stupid and unfair. Just look at the bright side we the bucs sucks but we dont spend much money the orioles suck and they are a top 10 team salary.

SteelCityMan786 06-21-2007 10:48 AM

This is pathetic. If you lose to a team who is starting a pitcher with an ERA Greater then 10, there is absolutely NO excuse for it. I don't care how young this team is. If the starting pitcher has an ERA greater then 10, then you should be smacking him around and driving his ERA up further.

X-Terminator 06-21-2007 11:40 AM

Why is anyone surprised? They've managed to make scrubs like Matt Belisle (twice), Kyle Lohse, Kameron Loe and now Jeff Weaver look like Cy Young candidates. Maybe if they had a hitting coach who actually knows something about hitting, rather than a former journeyman who barely managed a .230 average for his career, they'd be a little bit better hitting club.

verks - the Pirates cannot use the small market excuse for failure anymore. When you have teams like the As, Twins and Brewers finding ways to win despite playing in small markets (and in the case in the As and Twins, playing in old stadiums), then the Pirates have the ability to be successful as well.

HometownGal 06-21-2007 11:52 AM

I watched that game and though Weaver has had a rough time this season, he pitched quite well against the Bucs in those 9 innings. As both Bay and Wilson stated- he was "good". Can't argue with that. Maholm, on the other hand, was awful to say the least.

Quote:

"When you do as little as we did offensively, you're not going to afford yourself much of a chance to win," manager Jim Tracy said.
No DUH, Jim. :dang::dang: When you are a piss poor manager, your team isn't going to afford itself much of a chance to do squat diddly doo either. Here Jim - have a shot......

SteelCityMan786 06-21-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal (Post 258252)
I watched that game and though Weaver has had a rough time this season, he pitched quite well against the Bucs in those 9 innings. As both Bay and Wilson stated- he was "good". Can't argue with that. Maholm, on the other hand, was awful to say the least.

No DUH, Jim. :dang::dang: When you are a piss poor manager, your team isn't going to afford itself much of a chance to do squat diddly doo either. Here Jim - have a shot......

Amen to that sister.

Preacher 06-22-2007 02:45 AM

Hometown.. LOL...

So I guess from your pic that you really didn't like the managers comments!

Actually... Congrats, you are now at the Tony level of finding pics!! :flap:

83-Steelers-43 06-22-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verks36 (Post 258232)
Yes it is harsh but look at it this way.

The MLB is a league where big market team have huge advantages on small market teams. How can a team compete with another team that has over tens times there pay roll. The pirates arent going to spend much money so ya some times they will be embarrassed. The MLB salary cap is just plain out stupid and unfair. Just look at the bright side we the bucs sucks but we dont spend much money the orioles suck and they are a top 10 team salary.

Partly, I do look at it that way. As I've stated in the past, IMO our problem is a combination of horrible ownership, horrible management and a league which is a complete joke when it comes to a level playing field. When a team has two pitchers (Clemens/Mussina) who's payrolls combined equal out to more than your total payroll that tells me something is wrong with this league. It's no secret.

BUT, there is absolutely no excuse for this team to be this bad for this long. None at all.

HometownGal 06-22-2007 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 258502)
Hometown.. LOL...

So I guess from your pic that you really didn't like the managers comments!

Actually... Congrats, you are now at the Tony level of finding pics!! :flap:

Tracy's a nice guy but who the hell needs a nice guy to manage a professional baseball team? I wasn't all that thrilled when they signed him and I'm even less thrilled now. Nice guys finish last - fits him well doesn't it?