Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   ** The War Room 2012 ** (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   steelers draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17540)

polamalu3000 06-22-2007 08:15 PM

steelers draft

the first round pick timmons was a great pick and so was woodley the tight end was a decent pick and im not sure why we took a punter in the 4th round. but hopefully the new coach knows what he is doing.:tt02::helmet:

Black@Gold Forever32 06-22-2007 08:30 PM

Re: steelers draft

Not sure why they drafted a punter? Well Gardocki just flatout sucked last year and it was due to the fact he turned 100 last year......Plus Daniel Sepulveda was a two time Ray Guy award winnder in college....The only punter to win the award twice......Now I'm not one for drafting punters since you can find one without drafting one most of the time....But Tomlin thought it was huge need and if you're going to draft a punter then Sepulveda is the one to draft....His punting will help our defense alot this year.....

Livinginthe past 06-23-2007 06:45 AM

We need some more people to join who are called HinesWard and Polamalu - real short on them, right now. :wink02:

Mistah_Q 06-23-2007 02:09 PM

The only thing I don't like about the Timmons pick, is that he isn't Patrick Willis. After the 49ers grabbed Willis (which I thought they would), I thought we'd get Timmons, and was content with it.

When the second pick rolled around, I wasn't too thrilled with Woodley, especially with Dwayne Jarrett slipping away from us by just one pick. Maybe we woulda picked Woodley anyways. But he's been a nice surprise so far, and we could certainly use it, so there we have it.

Spaeth, probably the most controversial pick. The value here was alright and if they're serious about using the TEs and spread formations, then yes, the depth after Miller was so bad, that grabbing a washed up FA or an UDFA, was not going to cut it. Still hard to swallow because of the good OL's and Michael Bush still on the board, but I got over it quick, he's a Steeler now, and he does infact improve the team.

To me. . Day one was. . . acceptable. Day two. . we absolutely struck gold.

Sepulveda is what the Steelers have been needing since. . . since I can remember. He will impact our field position game, and probably bail us out once or twice a season.

McBean is very intriguing, could've gone as high as the second round if a team fell in love, so nice value -- maybe a one trick pony, but one with a heap of potential.

William Gay looks like the next Willie Williams type. . if he works out, he can be a reliable backup for a good while. Never will be a starter but has potential to be the kind of depth that you want to have. If he doesn't work out, well, darn.

Cam Stephenson. . the pick was a yawner. A position I'd have liked to seen addressed earlier, maybe in the third round, with someone like TE Clark Harris being picked here instead. . but oh well. . Nothing intriguing, but nothing to hate either. A developmental guy who may or may not turn into a decent backup.

Dallas Baker. . . I'm excited. His set of skills, measurables, and stats, from any program other than Florida, and he's probably a second or third rounder. Sure, Florida WRs tend to be NFL flops. But no doubt this is an exciting kid who could've gone a lot sooner, and I like his potential. Hopefully he can develop into a decent possession guy, who can occasionally do something dangerous downfield.

ricksteelers55 06-25-2007 05:10 PM

I think overall it was a pretty decent draft.

Timmons was in my point of view the choice to make since Revis wasnt there anymore.
Woodley was a good pick and I was happy with his arrival.We all know that it's a matter of time til Coach Tomlin brings the 4-3 scheme so we needed to be prepared for that and Woodley and Timmons are going to be usefull on both scheme.

The pick of Matt Spaeth was a deception for me,because I wanted Michael Bush so badly,but I know a lot of people in here are not sold on Bush,so I wont spend too much time on that pick.

Sepulveda was a must for this organisation.Gardocki was stealing 1 million from our cap room,and he had tough time last year,specially agains those rat birds when they kept us inside our 20 for a while he just wasnt able to get our team good field position.

McBean could be a steal.He's got the tools to be a decent starter in the NFL,and help this D-Line in the near future.

Baker did great things with FSU,but I hope he's not going to end up like Fred Gibson that we drafted 2 years ago and just didnt make the team even though we didnt have tall WR.

My favorite pick was Timmons and Sepulveda.
My question mark pick: Matt Spaeth & Cam Stephenson cause even if He's a good TE,we could have spend that pick on a big RB or even a good DB,OL and wait til the 5th round to get a decent TE.

As far as Stephenson is concerned,I dont know the guy,but I would have love to get Doug Dattish instead.

My own view of the draft

steelpride12 07-05-2007 04:04 PM

come on no love for the punter? 2 Ray Guy awards he will def. help the defense out and Gardocki come on he was too old and a new punter who is also GOOD will help out alot!

wharalson 07-08-2007 02:27 PM

why did'nt pittsburgh draft any db's thats where we need some help on

wharalson 07-08-2007 02:29 PM

nobodys talking about the defenseand what are the expectations being put on the d

lamberts-lost-tooth 07-08-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wharalson (Post 263326)
why did'nt pittsburgh draft any db's thats where we need some help on

We did draft a DB ...(William Gay)...but most publications are predicting Taylor to show up in 2005 form...and consider McFadden an upgrade over Deshea. I have also seen three publications that call Anthony Smith a rising star at safety.

steelersfanman92 07-18-2007 11:41 AM

lets hope taht Taylor gets back to 2005 form, when he is good he can really play but he can also get burned big time