Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Team of the 2000's (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17706)

moedap 07-02-2007 09:05 AM

Team of the 2000's

New England right now clearly stands as the team of the 2000 decade. There is only 2 more possible superbowl winners in the 2000 decade. Since teams of the decade are determined by the number of Superbowl wins there are only 5 teams capable of equaling the Pats 3 SB wins: Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay Bucs, or the St. Louis Rams. I think the probability of Tampa or St. Louis winning the next 2 SB's is a very low 0.10 probability(no science pure opionion). Although the Ravens have a higher probability than the previous 2 I think their offensive problems(Mcghee doesnt solve them) prevents them from winning 2 in a row. That leaves only 2 teams in MHO that could possibly win 2 SB in a row to challenge N.E. for team of the decade: our black and gold or the Colts

Only 1 team can claim Team of the Decade and since 2 SB wins by either the Colts or Steelers would tie N.E. another factor has to be used to determine the TOTD. I chose to look at a few post season stats to determine if the title could be taken from N.E.

Indianapolis Colts
2 AFC Championship appearances 1-1
4 Division crowns
6 playoff appearances

If last 2 SB wins
4 AFC Championships 3-1
6 Division crowns
8 playoff appearances

Pittsburgh Steelers
3 AFC Championship appearances 1-2
3 Division crowns
4 playoff appearances

If last 2 SB wins
5 AFC Championships 3-2
4 Division crowns
6 playoff appearances

New England Patriots
4 AFC Championship appearances 3-1
5 Division crowns
5 playoff appearances

Assumption of making playoffs
4,5, or 6 AFC appearances, 3-2, 3-3
7 Division crowns
7 playoff appearances

Based on those simple stats I would have to say if the Colts win the next 2 they would be the clear TOTD for the 2000's. Our black and Gold would lose out to the Patriots due to the slight edge N.E. has in the stats and our history against them in AFC Championships. Of course this is all moot if N.E. wins 1 more b4 the decade is over.

Livinginthe past 07-02-2007 12:02 PM

Re: Team of the 2000's

Interesting thread - its going to be difficult for any team to win the next 2 SB's during the salary cap era.

I think the sheer level of consistency gives the edge to the Patriots over their rivals - however that could change if they failed to make the postseason the next 2 years, or they got beaten by the same foe in the playoffs (and that foe went on to win the SB both times).

The Colts seem the most likely to take the throne at this point as they have shown an (annoying) ability to beat the Patriots over the last couple of years.

Maybe the same lethargy will set in with the Colts the year afer the won the SB as happened with the Steelers - who knows?

rbryan 07-02-2007 12:20 PM

2007,2008,2009 would make three more seasons wouldn't it?? We get it, you guys really like the patsies. Between you and the pro New England contingent at ESPN, you must all be very happy with yourselves.

Someday everyone will realize that ESPN bought and paid for those SB's

SteelCityMan786 07-02-2007 12:32 PM

The Decade isn't over till 2010.

moedap 07-02-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryan (Post 261821)
2007,2008,2009 would make three more seasons wouldn't it?? We get it, you guys really like the patsies. Between you and the pro New England contingent at ESPN, you must all be very happy with yourselves.

Someday everyone will realize that ESPN bought and paid for those SB's

There are only 2 more superbowls in this decade 2008 and 2009.

I hate the patsies i have been a black and gold fan since 1974 and I was born and raised in Spfld, Massachusetts. However, my hatred for them doesnt cloud my since of reality and they really had our number for much of this decade(thats where the hatred comes from).

moedap 07-02-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 (Post 261824)
The Decade isn't over till 2010.

A decade is ten years 2000 - 2009(10 years)

Livinginthe past 07-02-2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moedap (Post 261827)
There are only 2 more superbowls in this decade 2008 and 2009.

I hate the patsies i have been a black and gold fan since 1974 and I was born and raised in Spfld, Massachusetts. However, my hatred for them doesnt cloud my since of reality and they really had our number for much of this decade(thats where the hatred comes from).

Well said.

Some people have a hard time grasping reality when the subject of a team they don't like raises its head.

I don't like the Dolphins or the Jets but I give props where they are due.

ESPN conspiracy theories are for the bitter.

rbryan 07-02-2007 01:11 PM

Never said I wasn't bitter. BTW although the 2009 SB may be played in Feb of 2010 it is still considered the 2009 season. 3 years left, so don't count your chickens just yet.

rbryan 07-02-2007 01:26 PM

The Patsies will always have an asterick next to thier SB wins in my book.

It's mind over matter and it doesn't matter to me whether you mind or not. Patsies are cheaters.

lamberts-lost-tooth 07-02-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livinginthe past (Post 261832)
Well said.

Some people have a hard time grasping reality when the subject of a team they don't like raises its head.

I don't like the Dolphins or the Jets but I give props where they are due.

ESPN conspiracy theories are for the bitter.

I dont know....I'm pretty sure the Zapruder tape shows Stuart Scott behind the grassy knoll.