Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top 10 Linebacker Corps All-Time (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17775)

LambertIsGod58 07-06-2007 01:48 PM

Top 10 Linebacker Corps All-Time

This is how The NFL Network has it:

10) Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Darren Sharper (2000 Ravens)

9) Tom Jackson, Joe Rizzo, Randy Gradishar (Denver Broncos late '70's)

8) Matt Millen, Ted Hendricks, Rod Martin (Oakland Raiders early '80's)

7) Greg LLoyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, Chad Brown (Steelers Mid 90's)

6) Ray Nitschke, Leroy Jaffey, Dave Robinson ( Packers Late '60's)

5) Mike Singletary, Wilbur Marshall, Otis Wilson (Bears Mid 80's)

4) Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier, Jim Lynch ( Chiefs Late 60's)

3) Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Carl Banks ( Giants Mid 80's)

2) Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Andy Russell ( Steelers 70's)

1) Pat Swilling, Ricky Jackson, Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson

LambertIsGod58 07-06-2007 01:49 PM

Re: Top 10 Linebacker Corps All-Time

Lambert, Ham and Russell accounted for 25 Pro Bowls and won TWO Super Bowl Titles together. What has New Orleans ever won? I can't figure out how they came up with this order....Just more bias against our Steelers IMO!

VolatileMan 07-06-2007 02:04 PM

In all fairness (remember Im a huge Steeler fan) that core from the Saints was SICK!

As far as what did they ever win, what the hell did they have for an offense? Bobby Heburte.

Compare thiers to the offense the Steelers had in the 70's!!

It is a close call, but I cant argue with the Saints crew being number 1 (on the topic of linebacking corps)

Just my $.02
VolatileMan

fansince'76 07-06-2007 02:24 PM

I think it's interesting to note that the Saints LB corps is the only group in that list that never even at least made it to a Super Bowl.

Atlanta Dan 07-06-2007 02:29 PM

Glad to see the Chiefs LBs on the list - since the Steelers were not competitive until 1972 and I needed a team to root for during the playoffs after the Steelers season always ended I picked the Chiefs over the Raiders/Jets alternatives in the late 60s/early 70s (AFL was a much more entertaining game than the pound the ball NFL of that era). Christmas Day Chiefs/Dolphins OT playoff game ranked among my earliest memories of great playoff games.

The Saints LBs seem like a nice contrarian choice as top LB corps, but the point is to win something; it is like picking Marino as the all time greatest QB. I would pick the LT Giants LBs or Ham/Lambert/Russell over the Saints.

Crushzilla 07-06-2007 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58 (Post 262854)
Lambert, Ham and Russell accounted for 25 Pro Bowls and won TWO Super Bowl Titles together. What has New Orleans ever won? I can't figure out how they came up with this order....Just more bias against our Steelers IMO!

I gotta agree with LiG here. We get snubbed all the time with these things.

:banging:

F it. I'll take the Lombardi's that team won over this guy's rankings...

xXTheSteelKingsXx 07-06-2007 02:50 PM

:banging:Yeah NFL Network really dropped the ball on this one Russell, Ham, and Lambert should definitly be number 1 on this list.

verks36 07-06-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 262871)
I think it's interesting to note that the Saints LB corps is the only group in that list that never even at least made it to a Super Bowl.

that is a good point

I dont see how in the world they cant put that crew #1. Come on you can knock roethlisberger all you want but there is no way you can knock are amazing linebacking core. I think winning has to factor in to. If there linebacking core was o great they should have had something to show for it. Come one the steeler curtain.

boLT fan 07-06-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verks36 (Post 262895)
that is a good point

I dont see how in the world they cant put that crew #1. Come on you can knock roethlisberger all you want but there is no way you can knock are amazing linebacking core. I think winning has to factor in to. If there linebacking core was o great they should have had something to show for it. Come one the steeler curtain.

Winning the superbowl is a team thing, just having a good LB core doesn't guarentee you anything. Are you going to say Domonic Rhodes is better than LT because he won a superbowl? I was never alive during those two groups of LB's, so I can't say a whole lot but using the superbowls as a way to say your LB's are better is a bad argument.

verks36 07-06-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boLT fan (Post 262910)
Winning the superbowl is a team thing, just having a good LB core doesn't guarentee you anything. Are you going to say Domonic Rhodes is better than LT because he won a superbowl? I was never alive during those two groups of LB's, so I can't say a whole lot but using the superbowls as a way to say your LB's are better is a bad argument.

No i am just saying if they are that good why dont they have anything to show for it?

Here is my argument if you trade places with the steelers linbacking core with the saints one would the steelers have won both those superbowls?