Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Oh, the irony! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17826)

revefsreleets 07-10-2007 04:57 PM

Oh, the irony!

The NAACP buried "Nig**r" today. Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with all the hypocrisy, or am I way out of line? The very organization that did so much in it's own community to artificially empower a word now wants to bury it? It was just a word, then the race card was played so hard that even black people in the media had to refer to it as "The 'N' Word". No offense, but doesn't the black community have about a million other more important challenges facing it then burying words they made so important in the first place? I just don't get it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...r=U.S._3032635

HometownGal 07-10-2007 05:06 PM

Re: Oh, the irony!

Wonder if they buried the word "honky" too? :rolleyes:

I agree revefsreleets - surely the NAACP has more important issues at hand.

Resists.....urge.....to.....go.....on.....a.....ra nt.

SteelCzar76 07-10-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 263818)
No offense, but doesn't the black community have about a million other more important challenges facing it then burying words they made so important in the first place? I just don't get it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...r=U.S._3032635

A word that THEY made so important in the FIRST PLACE ??

Was this word which originally meant simply the color black in latin not "made important in the FIRST place" by savage, demented, hypocritical, cowardly, muderous, honorless, thieving rapists as a means to belittle and or make less than human (in their unenlightened eyes and minds),......other human beings ?

Yes,...much to the 'dishonor' of the Black community the word was taken and used albeit with an entirely different context than before. And this can be considered foolish.

But at the same time,......let's not forget EXACTLY why this word bears so much signifigance in this nation. (And across the rest of the world as well )

fansince'76 07-10-2007 07:10 PM

When is the NAACP going to do away with the word designated by the "C" in their organization's name? Seems to me that is a racist term as well....

tony hipchest 07-10-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 263840)
When is the NAACP going to do away with the word designated by the "C" in their organization's name? Seems to me that is a racist term as well....

this is where don imus would suggest they switch the "C" to the acronym for Afro-American, and become the "NAAAAPy headed hoes" :dang:

fansince'76 07-10-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 263842)
this is where don imus would suggest they switch the "C" to the acronym for Afro-American, and become the "NAAAAPy headed hoes" :dang:

No, seriously - I'm becoming somewhat confused by what the NAACP considers acceptable verbiage in regards to race. It seems to me that most black people would be seriously offended by being referred to as "colored". Even Dictionary.com refers to the word as being "often offensive" when used in this context. Why is it still in the organization's name?

SteelCzar76 07-10-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Personally at this point,....i don't find anything humorous about the topic of this thread at all. I don't care about the hypocrisy of the NAACP or any other organization on the face of this planet.

But what does concern me is bigotry in any form be it subtle or otherwise on the part of any person of any particular ethnicity. (Because it's absoloute foolishness and archaic)

"Stand up" people are just that,.... and it has nothing to do with "breed". And the same can be said for weak, lowlife, foul, self righteous jackals,...as this has nothing to do with "breed" either. But is based upon an individuals particular character.

Yes,..different ethnic groups in a general sense may have different ways of carrying themselves,...many of which are humorous to those whom are not of that particular 'group'. But that's the case all accross the board.

And when someone's punk azz laughs at or tries to belittle someone else and it's not just strictly for the sake of humor,......they should look in the mirror and know that whatever "ethnic" group they belong is also pretty "entertaining" itself to those whom they are taking any types of shots at via stereotype or otherwise. Even if done subtlely,... but yet with obvious venom and hatred in their hearts.

HometownGal 07-10-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

I have to agree with you there, Gary.

HometownGal 07-10-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 (Post 263844)
Personally at this point,....i don't find anything humorous about the topic of this thread at all. I don't care about the hypocrisy of the NAACP or any other organization on the face of this planet.

But what does concern me is bigotry in any form be it subtle or otherwise on the part of any person of any particular ethnicity. (Because it's absoloute foolishness and archaic)

"Stand up" people are just that,.... and it has nothing to do with "breed". And the same can be said for weak, lowlife, foul, self righteous jackals,...as this has nothing to do with "breed" either. But is based upon an individuals particular character.

Yes,..different ethnic groups in a general sense may have different ways of carrying themselves,...many of which are humorous to those whom are not of that particular 'group'. But that's the case all accross the board.

And when someone's punk azz laughs at or tries to belittle someone else and it's not just strictly for the sake of humor,......they should look in the mirror and know that whatever "ethnic" group they belong is also pretty "entertaining" itself to those whom they are taking any types of shots at via stereotype or otherwise. Even if done subtlely,... but yet with obvious venom and hatred in their hearts.

Czar - I don't think anyone finds this topic humorous. I don't have a racist bone in my body, but I can't disagree with some of the opinions contained in this thread. The NAACP has long been one of the most hypocritical and self-righteous organizations out there, imho, and if they are going to officially "burn the "N" word (a word which is and never has been in my vocabulary), let's see if they encourage the black race to stop using it as well. I can honestly say that I've heard the black race refer to each other using that word more times than I've ever heard a reference to that word by a member or members of any other race.

fansince'76 07-10-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 (Post 263844)
And when someone's punk azz laughs at or tries to belittle someone else and it's not just strictly for the sake of humor,......they should look in the mirror and know that whatever "ethnic" group they belong is also pretty f*cking "entertaining" itself to those whom they are taking any types of shots at via stereotype or otherwise. Even if done subtlely,... but yet with obvious venom and hatred in their hearts.

I wasn't taking a swipe at the NAACP or black people with that question. It's a FACT that that word is offensive to blacks, so why is it still in the organization's name? Valid question. I hate bigotry myself - who doesn't?