Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   To vote earlier or not vote earlier. That is the question. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=17840)

SteelCityMan786 07-11-2007 09:34 AM

To vote earlier or not vote earlier. That is the question.

The State House says PA Should move up their primary.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07192/800759-103.stm

Pa. House approves '08 primary on Feb. 12

Wednesday, July 11, 2007
By Tom Barnes, Post-Gazette Harrisburg Bureau

HARRISBURG -- State Rep. Harry Readshaw admitted he was a bit surprised that his bill to move the state's 2008 presidential primary to Feb. 12 won so easily in the House yesterday.

House Bill 289 was approved 117-85. The Carrick Democrat claims Pennsylvania will have almost no influence over who becomes the Democratic and Republican presidential candidates if it holds an April 22 primary, as now planned.

But the earlier-primary proposal still has a tall mountain to climb -- the state Senate.

Mr. Readshaw wants the Senate to act on the bill before this weekend, when the Legislature begins its summer recess. He admitted the Feb. 12 primary is dead if the Legislature doesn't act until October or November, because county elections officials need at least 90 days to prepare for the primary, and candidates need time to circulate petitions.

The bill's success or failure depends in large part on how strongly Gov. Ed Rendell, a supporter of a February primary, gets involved, Mr. Readshaw said. Mr. Rendell previously has said he'd like a Feb. 5 primary. Several other states already plan a primary on that day, called "Super Duper Tuesday."

Mr. Rendell has said he'd like the Keystone State to have more influence over the two national party candidates.

Erik Arneson, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Dominic Pileggi, noted the Senate has its hands full with other pending legislation, including the new state budget, a transportation aid package, a new slots-funded economic development fund and other measures.

"We have no plans to move the primary date," he said.

But Mr. Readshaw said he'll keep pushing. He said Pennsylvania is now basically irrelevant in the process of choosing presidential candidates, even though it's the sixth-largest state.

"We should empower the people of Pennsylvania to have influence in the presidential choices," said.

Rep. Matt Baker, R-Tioga, said bad weather could hamper turnout for a Feb. 12 primary. He noted the "Valentine's Day massacre" snowstorm of Feb. 14 this year, when several interstates in eastern Pennsylvania were shut down with ice for three days.

He also complained that with a Feb. 12 primary, candidates would have to seek petition signatures during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

Rep. Chris Sainato, D-Lawrence, said, "Pennsylvania voters are tough. They can handle a February primary. I'm sure they can get to the polls. Senior citizens will go through 10 feet of snow to make their vote count."

Rep. Bill Kortz, D-West Mifflin, also supported the Feb. 12 primary. "Pennsylvania is a nonentity now for presidential candidates," he said. "We should be part of the process."

Preacher 07-11-2007 01:43 PM

Re: To vote earlier or not vote earlier. That is the question.

While I understand that move of states to all go early... and it would make sense to simply nationalize the primaries and run them all on one day...

I really miss the long primary season leading up to the summer, votes in the convention to nominate.... floor battles... etc.

It has just become more and more a show... less and less about actual beliefs.

Anyone else miss the old style politics... where certain customs were ALWAYS followed, like no presidential campaigning until after labor day? Politics was pretty much a moot issue between the last primary and the convention. Both the GOP and Dem. candidates would respect each others conventions, and not do anything big during, just before, or just after it.

Wow have we ever devolved.

MasterOfPuppets 07-11-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 264058)
While I understand that move of states to all go early... and it would make sense to simply nationalize the primaries and run them all on one day...

I really miss the long primary season leading up to the summer, votes in the convention to nominate.... floor battles... etc.

It has just become more and more a show... less and less about actual beliefs.

Anyone else miss the old style politics... where certain customs were ALWAYS followed, like no presidential campaigning until after labor day? Politics was pretty much a moot issue between the last primary and the convention. Both the GOP and Dem. candidates would respect each others conventions, and not do anything big during, just before, or just after it.

Wow have we ever devolved.

ican't remember the last time i'd seen a politician kissing a baby...:huh:....it may have been when yosemity sam and bugs were both runnin for mayor...:hunch:

SteelCityMan786 07-11-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 264105)
ican't remember the last time i'd seen a politician kissing a baby...:huh:....it may have been when yosemity sam and bugs were both runnin for mayor...:hunch:

I never remember seeing that as of late.

xXTheSteelKingsXx 07-11-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Would you want some of our politicians kissing your baby???:yuck:

Preacher 07-11-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

:sofunny::sofunny: That is hilarious....

Go Bugs... though I don't know... Yosemite sure would take care of the crime problem!!!

HometownGal 07-11-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx (Post 264132)
Would you want some of our politicians kissing your baby???:yuck:

Hell no. I'd be too afraid of Rendell eating it or Ted Kennedy stealing its "bottle". :sofunny:

SteelCityMan786 07-11-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal (Post 264150)
Hell no. I'd be too afraid of Rendell eating it or Ted Kennedy stealing its "bottle". :sofunny:

Darn right.