Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NCAA Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Pitt Panther Thread (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1791)

Ambridge 09-15-2005 03:00 PM

The Pitt Panther Thread

After losing to Notre Dame in the season opener the Panthers then go and lose last weekend to MAC Powerhouse Ohio U.
Up next...an away game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lincoln this Saturday 9-17 a game that doesn't look promising as well and can have Pitt starting the season at 0-3.

Was Dave Wannstedt the right choice? Will he get it turned around and if not will he be gone after one season?

Thoughts??

Suitanim 09-15-2005 05:22 PM

Re: The Pitt Panther Thread

I follow Pitt on the periphery...ND loss was certainly acceptable, since they seem to be for real. I'm a little confused about the OU loss. Sure, Frank Solich coaches the team, and that is a HUGE step up in coaching for them (Ohio U), but not for the MAC. Miami of Ohio alone has been coached by:

Woody Hayes
Sid Gillman
Ara Parseghian
Bo Schembechler
(If you young guys don't recognize some or any of those names, do a little homework...3 of the 4 are among the greatest college coaches ever, and Sid Gillman was not only a great college coach, but also a great pro coach, and is partly responsible for the game we now know as the Super Bowl)

Dion Byrum returning 2 picks to the house made all the difference, but why was OU within 2 TD's to begin with?

New system and all that will slow Wannstedt down, but he'll be fine in the end.

Ambridge 09-17-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:

Woody Hayes
Sid Gillman
Ara Parseghian
Bo Schembechler
Wow! Those are some old relics there Suit, but all of them are Coaching Icons to say the least.
I didn't know they all had roots in the MAC.

I don't know about Wanny!!
He's never struck me as a motivating, butt kicking kinda coach.
In the first two games the Panthers didn't seem to have any fire or toughness about them on either side of the ball and they seemed to fold when the other team stepped it up.

BlitzburghRockCity 09-17-2005 10:44 AM

I cant say for sure if Dave W. was the right choice, but I do know that he's definately not starting out on the right foot loosing to OU. To be fair though, a first year coach installing a new system is gonna take some time to learn so their has to be a curve there to some degree so fans have to be alittle patient.

Ambridge 09-17-2005 06:09 PM

Nebraska-7
Pitt-6

I watched most of the game and Pitt looked absolutley horrible.
They had their chances but costly penalties and terrible execution killed the Panthers.
Two missed FG's, two FG's blocked....with the last attempt to win the game being blocked with 1 second left. :pity:

Pitt's basic fundamentals and execution suck and that's all on Wanny and staff.

BlitzburghRockCity 09-17-2005 06:12 PM

What in the world was that FG attempt on 3rd down when the ball was snapped and hit the holder right in the helmet ??? Comon guys, playing like this just isnt good on any level.

Ambridge 09-17-2005 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
What in the world was that FG attempt on 3rd down when the ball was snapped and hit the holder right in the helmet ??? Comon guys, playing like this just isnt good on any level.

That was kinda funny! "Doink" right in the helmet of the holder.
The holder wasn't even looking to the snapper.

Suitanim 09-18-2005 08:12 AM

The thing is, had he been looking, Pitt might have hit that FG and won the game...after that mistake, I think they were shaken up which led to the block...

Ambridge 09-18-2005 08:20 AM

Up next for the Panthers............Youngstown St. comes to Heinz Field next Saturday. :rolleyes:

Suitanim 09-18-2005 04:15 PM

Jim Tressel's old team is just what the doctor ordered...