Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Staley: You got something that Bus and I don't have (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1796)

BlitzburghRockCity 09-15-2005 11:39 PM

Staley: You got something that Bus and I don't have

It's good to see Jerome and Duce in Parkers corner.. what a team we have !!!!! :cheers:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_374277.html

Duce Staley hopped aboard the Willie Parker train last Sunday -- and he has no immediate intentions of jumping off.

The nine-year veteran is willing to part with his No. 1 spot at tailback upon his return to the lineup, which could happen this week. Staley, who missed the season opener last Sunday while healing from Aug. 8 arthroscopic surgery on his right knee, practiced Wednesday and moved well.

He is listed as questionable (50-50) for Sunday's game against the Texans in Houston.

"I don't have the explosiveness that I've had, but it's slowly but surely coming back," said Staley, who sported a sleeve on the knee yesterday. "It's day-to-day right now. Hopefully, I can go out (today) and put two good days in. I'll see how I feel from there."

Even if Staley gets clearance to play in Houston, he'll have no qualms with backing up Parker, who ran for 161 yards in the Steelers' 34-7 win against the Tennessee Titans at Heinz Field.

In fact, he encouraged the coaching staff yesterday to stick with Parker, who was named the AFC's Offensive Player of the Week. Days earlier, tailback Jerome Bettis, who might miss his second game Sunday with a calf injury, endorsed Parker, as well.

"If he's out there running and he's doing what he's doing, and putting up great numbers and we're winning, without a doubt - leave him in there," Staley said of Parker. "And Jerome will tell you the same thing. You got to understand we went through the same thing last year. I got hurt and Jerome went in, and we didn't miss a beat. So, here we go again. Willie comes in and we don't miss a beat."

Staley would prefer to move into the lineup slowly, as opposed to jumping in feet first and being the featured back right away.

"I have to be patient," said Staley, who ran for 707 yards the first seven games last season before giving way to Bettis due to a hamstring injury. "I've got to make sure I'm around for the long run. You definitely have to ease me back in. You have to understand I missed all the preseason and I missed those weeks building up to that, so I don't have any games under my belt right now. I think that's what I'm doing. Coach is pretty smart with that."

There is a possibility Staley could be used on third downs, with Parker serving as the primary back.

"Just getting back out there will help me," Staley said. "Right now, I want to be out there and want to play, but I'm not going to do anything to hurt the team. So, I'm not going to go out there in bad conditions. I'm not going to go out there and still be hurt and play. I'm only hurting the team doing that, so that's not going to be the case."

Staley entered training camp as the Steelers' top back, but tore his lateral meniscus early on. He was expected to carry the load this season with Bettis serving as his primary backup. But while those two backs were nursing injuries, Parker emerged, highlighted by last Sunday's performance.

"I told (Parker), 'You got something that Bus and I don't have - that's a couple gears,'" Staley said. "Bussie has one gear and I have two-and-a-half. ... But Willie definitely has five or six gears."

Staley was quick to point out that neither he nor Bettis nor Parker would be putting up solid numbers without the Steelers' talented offensive line leading the way.

"They need the spotlight just as much as we do," Staley said.

ironcitychef 09-15-2005 11:42 PM

Re: Staley: You got something that Bus and I don't have

Wouldn't you be excited to know come December you will be as fresh as you have been in years?

BlitzburghRockCity 09-15-2005 11:51 PM

No doubt, it helped Jerome out tremendously last year when he was just our goal line guy for the first half of the season..he was running strong all the way thru the playoffs. The possibility of 3 star RB's healthy for the stretch run would be amazing. Let's hope they all stay that way too!

bigbensgirl7 09-16-2005 07:37 AM

What I want most is to have all three guys healthy for the end of the season and post season!

SteelR1 09-16-2005 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbensgirl7
What I want most is to have all three guys healthy for the end of the season and post season!

DITTO!!!!!!!!!

Koopa 09-16-2005 11:11 AM

i was down on duce for about a month cause he is always injured but with comments like this shows what kind of man he is and i will never lose respect for him cause he puts the team in front of his stats. this will be good for duce cause like some of ya'll said he'll have fresh legs come down the stretch of the season and in the playoffs. i can't wait for him to get fully healthy and then we got that one two punch that all the teams wish they had.

Prosdo 09-16-2005 01:13 PM

It's always nice to see this type of attitude. If all three of these guys are healthy at once we have one hell of a 1-2-3 punch!

clevestinks 09-16-2005 02:07 PM

I`m always on the other side? I`m not sure about Duces comments. Yeah on one hand he seems like the ultimate team player. But I have always, even when he was an Eagle, questioned his heart. Yes it would be easy for him to sit back and watch Willie run, and collect that big fat paycheck. Most guys would want to play more???????????????????????????????

BlitzburghRockCity 09-16-2005 04:26 PM

He was a pretty good team player at philly, but he was stuck behind that 2 or 3 back rotation they always did..but he kept his mouth shut and played his heart out everytime he got the ball. but when contract time came, he left to a place that runs more and would give him more of a chance to shine. Inspite of the injuries he still seems to have a positive attitude about it, but he knows football is a team game and if a player has the hot hand, u gotta keep him in.

SteelersNation7 09-16-2005 08:49 PM

Props to Duce for being a team player...Class act putting the team first