Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Training Camp (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   2 a days? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=18125)

chadgorrell74 07-24-2007 08:33 PM

2 a days?

Does anyone else think coach tomlin is making a mistake by putting these guys through so many 2 a days? And some of these players may try and lay down a bit? I hope not, but alot of these guys are used to a little more relaxed training camp, and thats probally some of the reason we were 8-8 last year.

RoethlisBURGHer 07-24-2007 08:38 PM

Re: 2 a days?

I like it because it's gonna make the guys focused.They have to work harder than they did under Cowher.

tony hipchest 07-24-2007 08:42 PM

no, its not gonna kill em. so far ben and okolbi say they like it and it is needed. tomlin himself has commented how all the guys like to work. the players will not lay down and like the running drill, if they are adequately prepared they will probably be rewarded for not laying down.

this isnt tomlins 1st go around in camp. he knows what hes doing.

fansince'76 07-24-2007 08:45 PM

I don't have a problem with it as a large portion of the extra practices will be focused on special teams play, which is one department this team needs a lot of improvement in. It's not like Tomlin is going to make them run until they all puke or anything.

Atlanta Dan 07-24-2007 08:48 PM

According to Ed.B. from the P-G, this isn't exactly Bear Bryant and "The Junction Boys" or, for that matter, Tom Coughlin and the Giants

Not only did he relieve more than half the team from going through a run test yesterday, he stopped it short for the 35 players who did run it.

Tomlin revealed yesterday that those players who completed 44 of the 50 offseason workout sessions were absolved from running yesterday. The others were to run 110-yard jobs 16 times on the newly named Chuck Noll Field.

When Tomlin came up with the idea to give 51 players off if they had a good attendance record in the spring is unknown, but he did not spring it on his players until it was too late for many to make up lost time.

"We wanted to reward those guys for being in town and being part of a voluntary program this offseason," Tomlin said. "If they were here working out, we knew what kind of shape they were in."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07205/803940-66.stm

The alleged "two a days" apparently involve a lot of special teams work in the morning session - hard to argue that emphasis is misplaced.

Preacher 07-25-2007 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 268505)
According to Ed.B. from the P-G, this isn't exactly Bear Bryant and "The Junction Boys" or, for that matter, Tom Coughlin and the Giants

Not only did he relieve more than half the team from going through a run test yesterday, he stopped it short for the 35 players who did run it.

Tomlin revealed yesterday that those players who completed 44 of the 50 offseason workout sessions were absolved from running yesterday. The others were to run 110-yard jobs 16 times on the newly named Chuck Noll Field.

When Tomlin came up with the idea to give 51 players off if they had a good attendance record in the spring is unknown, but he did not spring it on his players until it was too late for many to make up lost time.

"We wanted to reward those guys for being in town and being part of a voluntary program this offseason," Tomlin said. "If they were here working out, we knew what kind of shape they were in."

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07205/803940-66.stm

The alleged "two a days" apparently involve a lot of special teams work in the morning session - hard to argue that emphasis is misplaced.

Yep. I worry a little about running our RB out. However, that is why we picked up a number of backs for these practices. It is going to be good to see our guys just hitting thier stride come the 4th quarter and breaking a sweat only a couple minutes before the game is over!! (cue severe overstatement)

SteelCityMan786 07-25-2007 07:35 AM

Nope, Training Camp is supposed to have multiple practices a day.

Preacher 07-27-2007 04:14 PM

Wow...

Do we all think that they were that soft last year...

stlrtruck 07-27-2007 09:40 PM

Hey, as long as he's keeping them hydrated, I don't care if he runs 3 a days. The bottom line is that during the game there are no breaks and in order to run over people in the 4th quarter they have to be conditioned for it. And the only way that Tomlin can make sure they are ready for it is to prepare them for it now.

The Super Bowl may be won in February but it's prepared for in Training Camp!

iloveben7 07-27-2007 10:12 PM

i don't think Tomlin is working them too hard. Hey we have two-a-days for band and I think if the Steelers want to win, they have to wark hard. Almost all the players seem to love Tomlin and not bothered by more practices.