Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bill Cowhers fate... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1840)

BB2W 09-21-2005 02:01 PM

Bill Cowhers fate...

I like Cowher, but I know there are a lot of Steelers fans that want him gone, and some people down right hate him. There is some serious Cowher bashing at many of Steelers message boards on the net, but you don't see it much here. I wondered what the general opinion was, and what would coach Cowher's fate be at the hands of SF.

Post your thoughts too...

Prosdo 09-21-2005 02:10 PM

Re: Bill Cowhers fate...

I like Cowher as well. He always seems to have a competitive team and has taken us to the playoffs a lot. Yes, he hasn't won the big one yet, but he isn't doing a bad job here. I say keep him here.

Va_steeler 09-21-2005 02:24 PM

I like Cower alot. I think he has done alot for the Steelers, yet the havent got to the big 1, but every year he seems to progress and gets better player for the team!

pitt 09-21-2005 02:39 PM

I like Coach Cowher. I hope he stays for a long time.

BB2W 09-21-2005 02:45 PM

I like the fact Cowher has the logest tenure of active coaches. I think it says a lot about the stability of the organization.

I know he has not won it all, and may be too conservative, or is not the best situational coach, but you can't say enough about motivational skills, leadership, preparation, and overall eye for talent.

I have a unique veiw on Cowhers struggles in the playoffs... I think that he is a master motivator and a great leader, and he can get his teams to play above there ability week in and week out in the regular season. The problem is in the late rounds of the playoffs a lesser team will likely get exposed no matter how well prepared or motivated they are. Maybe those Steelers teams under Bill never were the best...

I am not a Superbowl or nothing kinda fan, and if I could pick between...

A). A team that wins a Superbowl, but is usually a non-factor and out of the playoff race.

B). A franchise that is always competitive, and usually at the top of the conference.

I would choose B...

SteelProven 09-21-2005 02:55 PM

Cowher has earned his right to stay with the Steelers as long as he likes, IMO. There isn't a coach out there right now that fits Pittsburgh and represents what the Steelers organization is all about more than Cowher does.

TasmanianTroy271 09-21-2005 03:09 PM

The Rooneys'll keep Cowher as long as he keeps fans in the seats, and he'll keep fans in the seats as long as he keeps up his "never 2 losing seasons in a row" streak.

Soldier4Steelers 09-21-2005 03:19 PM

i think cowher is perfect for the steelers. his downfall is he only knows one kind of football. when he couldnt run it up the gut in 03-04 they missed the playoffs and thats when the real cowher bashing began. id rather watch 15ish seasons of 12 or more wins majority ending in close afc champ L's, then be like the bucs and go a decade absent from the playoffs, win a superbowl... and go RIGHT back to being .... well.... the bucs.

clevestinks 09-21-2005 03:27 PM

There are no gaurantees out there. Changing coaches rarely seems like it is the right answer. Beside year after year, we have descent teams. Yeah it blows not winning the big one. But could it be worse? Hell Yes. No offense to Cleve, NO, Cinci, Det. and some others,have they ever one the big one? Are they competetive year after year? Have they made it to 5 afc championships, combined, in the last 15 years? Yet see how many coaching changes they gone through. We are in a great spot right now, and Cowher will prevail.

Cowher is Pittsburgh

Hammer67 09-21-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier4Steelers
i think cowher is perfect for the steelers. his downfall is he only knows one kind of football. when he couldnt run it up the gut in 03-04 they missed the playoffs and thats when the real cowher bashing began. id rather watch 15ish seasons of 12 or more wins majority ending in close afc champ L's, then be like the bucs and go a decade absent from the playoffs, win a superbowl... and go RIGHT back to being .... well.... the bucs.

I completely agree...how enjoyable was all of last season?

Whenever someone bashes Cowher they usually fail to answer the question of "Who would be a better coach with the Steelers and with the talent they have?"

I do have to disagree just a little...he did change it up a few years ago (remember the arrival of Tommy Gun?) and opened up the passing game. That obviously was a failed experiment. :checkit:

I just think the type of football Cowher preaches is the type of football we love in Western PA. Hard nosed, physical & tough. They are generally consistent and always competative unlike a lot of teams in the NFL. Look at the Steelers of the 50's & 60's...even though they usually lost, they still intimidated and played physical. Teams hated to come here. It's the same way now but they have more talent and win.

Cowher will win a Super Bowl. And, he will win it his way, the Steeler way. And, I wouldn't WANT it any other way. :sign08: :drink:

Hammer :cool: