Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Training Camp (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Steelers switch up offensive line (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=18561)

The Duke 08-08-2007 02:16 AM

Steelers switch up offensive line

LINE DANCING: The Steelers unveiled their first changes to the first-team offensive line during Tuesday afternoon's practice.

The changes were made in accordance with their training camp schedule and because of left guard Alan Faneca's unavailability (shoulder), according to coach Mike Tomlin.

The first team consisted of left tackle Marvel Smith, left guard Chris Kemoeatu, center Chukky Okobi, right guard Kendall Simmons and right tackle Willie Colon.

Starting right tackle Max Starks played left tackle on the second team and also worked some at right tackle with the second unit.

Starks had played left tackle for the first time in Sunday's preseason win over New Orleans.

Tomlin had said following the game that the Steelers wanted to work Starks as a "swing tackle," preparing him as a potential in-game replacement for Smith.

Center Sean Mahan (excused absence) still hadn't rejoined the team as of yesterday afternoon.

The second-team line consisted of Starks, left guard Trai Essex, center Marvin Phillip, right guard Cameron Stephenson (No. 5A, Rutgers) and right tackle Brandon Torrey.

GOT ANOTHER ONE: Cornerback William Gay (No. 5B, Louisville) intercepted quarterback Bryan Randall during 11-on-11 work.

Gay took advantage of a slip by receiver Eric Fowler.

Gay also recorded an interception of Saints quarterback Tyler Palko on Sunday night.

FILLING IN: Rian Wallace filled in for Larry Foote (ankle) at inside linebacker with the first-team defense.

CATCH OF THE DAY: Tight end Heath Miller made a one-handed grab after beating linebacker LaMarr Woodley (No. 2, Michigan).

BACK TO WORK: Tight end Matt Spaeth (No. 3, Minnesota) practiced after dressing for but not playing in Sunday night's Hall of Fame Game.

The Steelers are being cautious with Spaeth, who's recovering from a shoulder injury.

Spaeth worked in three-tight-end sets yesterday with Miller and Jerame Tuman.

YOUR TURN: Free safety Anthony Smith continues to work with the first-team defense on an every-other-day basis.

Free safety Ryan Clark started against New Orleans.

LONG DISTANCE: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger found receiver Santonio Holmes behind strong safety Troy Polamalu on a big gainer.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_521075.html

The Duke 08-08-2007 02:18 AM

Re: Steelers switch up offensive line

Quote:

LONG DISTANCE: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger found receiver Santonio Holmes behind strong safety Troy Polamalu on a big gainer.
I'm getting worried about this. Either our secondary is still having some troubles or Ben has really improved. Hope it's Ben having improved, the secondary didn't seem bad at all on sunday.
And injuries also seem to be pilling up. Now Faneca and Foote, two very important players

stillers4ever 08-08-2007 02:21 PM

I like what i keep hearing about william gay. He seems like a solid pick-up and and legit reserve for deshea or whoever else starts. I dont have any worrys about our secondary.

Dynasty 08-08-2007 02:51 PM

It's well known that Polamalu's strengths aren't exactly in coverage.... but it sounds like it was just a blown assignment to me, nothin too major. It also probbaly has to do with Ben's improvement as well

Welcome To Smashmouth 08-08-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillers4ever (Post 275414)
I like what i keep hearing about william gay. He seems like a solid pick-up and and legit reserve for deshea or whoever else starts. I dont have any worrys about our secondary.

Yeah, if he plays out like the first glimpse we got of him Sunday, I do believe Colclough's days are numbered...