Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Training Camp (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Steelers begin to separate themselves (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=18600)

83-Steelers-43 08-09-2007 06:39 AM

Steelers begin to separate themselves

Steelers begin to separate themselves
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 9, 2007

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin informed his players this week that he's seen separation among some of them.

It's a process that began against New Orleans on Sunday night in Canton, Ohio, and will continue Saturday night at Heinz Field against Green Bay.

The early part of camp was about preparing individuals to compete for roster spots.

Now, it's about weeding out.

Now, it's time to step up or step back.

Amazingly, Lawrence Timmons has distinguished himself by doing neither.

Timmons was sent to Philadelphia on Wednesday for more medical evaluation of the groin that has kept him from practicing for seemingly all but five minutes of his Steelers career.

"Somewhat of a breakthrough there," said Tomlin, who added that he would have more information about Timmons today.

Tomlin still isn't sure when or to what extent Timmons will be able to practice. He's separated himself.

No. 4B pick Ryan McBean has, too.

Initially thought by assistant head coach/defensive line coach John Mitchell to be a prospect of great potential, McBean is struggling mightily with assignments and remains a distant third-teamer behind the established second line of Nick Eason, Chris Hoke and Travis Kirschke.

Heading in the other direction is linebacker Marquis Cooper, who was summoned to camp July 31, in part because of Timmons' continued unavailability.

Cooper played in two games with the Steelers a year ago -- against Denver and New Orleans -- and has played in 30 NFL games over three seasons, bouncing from Tampa Bay to Pittsburgh to Seattle and now back to Pittsburgh

He played on special teams Sunday night, and by Wednesday morning, he was moved up to the No. 1 kickoff team.

Linebacker James Harrison (ribs) was back in pads by then, and linebacker Clint Kriewaldt (shoulder) was back at work covering kickoffs.

Cooper's promotion to the No. 1 kickoff team, therefore, appears to be more of an acknowledgment of his special-teams effectiveness in the Hall of Fame Game than it does a body filling a vacated spot.

"I guess so, yeah," Cooper said.

Cooper's separating himself.

So is running back Carey Davis, who combined for 100 yards rushing and receiving and worked with the No. 1 units on kickoff and punt coverage against New Orleans.

So is cornerback William Gay, who joined the No. 1 kickoff team along with Cooper and Kriewaldt (linebackers Arnold Harrison and Richard Koonce and safety Anthony Smith were removed).

Gay had an interception against the Saints, but his most memorable play was the vicious, ball-separating lick he put on New Orleans wide receiver Robert Meachem.

Meachem was a No. 1 pick and Gay was a fifth-rounder, but that stuff only matters in April.

In August, it's about separation much more than selection.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_521258.html

RoethlisBURGHer 08-09-2007 10:28 AM

Re: Steelers begin to separate themselves

I really like Gay...and I think in a year or two he'll be pushing McFadden for playing time.

I think Anthony Smith was removed from ST because he'll end up the starter at FS.

The Duke 08-09-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer (Post 275898)
I think Anthony Smith was removed from ST because he'll end up the starter at FS.

:banana: I really hope so. Once he becomes the starter I'll have to start thinking about buying his jersey

rog 08-09-2007 03:36 PM

No matter who ends up being the starter at free safty you gotta love our depth there, not to mention all the young talent at cornerback though inexperience will pose some problems there this year I think the young players will help energize our defense.

Welcome To Smashmouth 08-09-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer (Post 275898)
I really like Gay...and I think in a year or two he'll be pushing McFadden for playing time.

Your 1/2.

Theres no way McFadden is still battling for a nickelback or even #2 spot. Hes shown nothing but postitives with the little he's been given, and with townsend on the down-slope and taylor still iffy, theres no way McFadden doesn't at LEAST become our obvious #2, i see him as our solid #1 in the timeframe you gave.

But yea i think yoru right about Smith

RoethlisBURGHer 08-09-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke (Post 276077)
:banana: I really hope so. Once he becomes the starter I'll have to start thinking about buying his jersey

Oh for sure...I am planning on getting his after I get Parker's and Hampton's.

Preacher 08-09-2007 10:47 PM

I SO love how Tomlin is handling this camp.

Two weeks for players to prep themselves to complete for a spot.

four weeks to win the spot. It is simple, and smart.

jjpro11 08-10-2007 12:31 AM

i always thought arnold harrison was pretty good on special teams.

rabidfrodo 08-10-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welcome To Smashmouth (Post 276397)
Your 1/2.

Theres no way McFadden is still battling for a nickelback or even #2 spot. Hes shown nothing but postitives with the little he's been given, and with townsend on the down-slope and taylor still iffy, theres no way McFadden doesn't at LEAST become our obvious #2, i see him as our solid #1 in the timeframe you gave.

But yea i think yoru right about Smith

Completely agree. Smith has the ability to get better I mean the Steelers don't really have any CB that are considered great. I have always like McFadden even though I dislike Florida State, he was always good and played well in clutch situations like against Jacksonville in 05' he intercepted a would be touchdown that would have won them the game. Though they won in the end he gave the offense another chance. So Smith will be good when Towsend finally leaves.

Jman 08-10-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 276421)
I SO love how Tomlin is handling this camp.

Two weeks for players to prep themselves to complete for a spot.

four weeks to win the spot. It is simple, and smart.

And it's great that coach already has the idea.