Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=18667)

Atlanta Dan 08-10-2007 06:02 PM

Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look

If the Democrats put this out as a rumor it would be denounced by the GOP as shameless political fear mongering but I assume this story is true.

Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," Lute added in his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

The master plan to set up a GOP loss of historic proportions in 2008 continues to unfold as Bush pulls out all the stops to take a run at Nixon's all time disapproval rating of 67%. This position will certainly help solidify Republican support with voters under 25.

There is no doubt the sacrifices of the Iraq war are not being equally shared, but with regard to using conscription to fill up the military that train left the station 35 years ago and is not coming back.

I guess I missed Bush's speech during the 2004 campaign where he said bringing back the draft has always been on the table.

Preacher 08-10-2007 06:06 PM

Re: Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look

Ask me if I believe it...

as every military general I have ever heard speak on the subject has stated emphatically that they don't want a draft.

Personally... I think it is a comment taken WAYYYYYYYY out of context. But good luck finding the context in the american press.

Atlanta Dan 08-10-2007 06:17 PM

Here is the audio link to the full interview Preacher - does not seem out of context to me. The possible restoration of the draft discussion kicks in at around the 3:50 mark.

I think his point is that the Army does not currently have the resources for the mission to which it has been committed and that something has to give. My bet is we are leaving.

http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/pop...fier=&mtype=WM

rog 08-10-2007 06:17 PM

This may not be exactly on tack here but it's worth stating. I'm 28 years old and when I graduated high school didn't really have plans other than finding a job. I considered the Airforce and the National Guard, but decided it wasn't for me, didn't really want to leave my girl friend(who I married acouple of years later) or my family. I do however have alot of friends and a soon to be brother-in-law who are fighting over seas right now. My soon to be brother-in-law is in his second tour in iraq he was also in (i know i have no chance of spelling this right but) Afgahnastan. He is supose to be home in a couple of month and he will actually be done with his time in the Army. He is marring my wife's sister next year in August. I just hope he gets to. If any of you see a man or woman that is in our military please take the time to stop and thank them for doing what some of us were not willing or able to do they are my true heroes.

Crushzilla 08-10-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 276774)
Personally... I think it is a comment taken WAYYYYYYYY out of context. But good luck finding the context in the american press.

Original statement. Lute turns to a colleague. "Hey, look. I found a beetle in my pocket"

To beetle. "How did you get in there, little fella?

Quote:

Press Release:
Lt. General Douglas Lute said yesterday at a press conference that he "found a beetle in (his) pocket" and the killer insect was no doubt sent ahead by the beetle army to recover confidential dossiers from the Pentagon.

There is no telling when the beetles may attack. Said one terrified bystander "I don't know when. I don't know where. But something bad is going to happen.

This war will surely spell the end of not only American, but all civilizations.

War expert Jonas Donogue, a custodian at West Lake Junior High School, predicts that the beetles certainly will have obtained WMDs by now and "are not afraid to pull the trigger." Donogue, who reeked of whiskey and cat urine, wants to remind concerned Americans that they "should definitely be soiling themselves at this point. I already have." "I realize beetles can't actually 'pull the trigger,' because they don't have fingers," he added, "but that sure as hell didn't stop them from rigging the '97 Series. Did it?"

In unrelated news, the Florida Marlins organization and ex-manager Jim Leyland are under investigation under suspicion of breeding and providing guerrilla training for beetles throughout the entire southeastern United States.

Donogue offered advice to all Americans "who value their livelihood." "Run... for... your... lives.... Beetles fly, though, so you're probably already dead..."

"Now if you'll excuse me, some kid threw up in sixth period lunch."
Hasn't this been stirred up already in this gross military "campaign?"

I really can't see it happening. That ship has long sailed. With Americans already boiling over the decisions of this administration, I truly think re-establishing the draft may cause a total coup...

Hammer67 08-10-2007 06:31 PM

Never happen unless there is a full blown world war

Atlanta Dan 08-10-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer67 (Post 276787)
Never happen unless there is a full blown world war

Agreed, but this is a smart guy - hard to see the upside to making the comment but I assume he did not just float a trial balloon to see how long it took to be shot down unless he has particularly cynical sense of humor. All it does is seem to confirm the officials who planned this war did not have a clue what it would take to prevail.

If athletes in next year's Olympics can run anywhere near as fast as the Administration will be running away from this statement they will be locks for medals.

Stlrs4Life 08-11-2007 07:51 AM

It would not surprise me one bit if they did reinstall the draft.

Hammer67 08-11-2007 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 276788)
Agreed, but this is a smart guy - hard to see the upside to making the comment but I assume he did not just float a trial balloon to see how long it took to be shot down unless he has particularly cynical sense of humor. All it does is seem to confirm the officials who planned this war did not have a clue what it would take to prevail.

If athletes in next year's Olympics can run anywhere near as fast as the Administration will be running away from this statement they will be locks for medals.

There have been hundreds of ex advisers, ex generals, ex colonels on the various news channels making statements all over the board...

Jeremy 08-12-2007 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 276780)
Here is the audio link to the full interview Preacher - does not seem out of context to me. The possible restoration of the draft discussion kicks in at around the 3:50 mark.

I think his point is that the Army does not currently have the resources for the mission to which it has been committed and that something has to give. My bet is we are leaving.

http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/pop...fier=&mtype=WM

The Army has been taking Air Force members to fill open spots in their combat units for a couple of years now. This General needs to come out and tell people the whole story.