Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why Linux sucks...for now. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19152)

Hammer67 08-28-2007 10:39 AM

Why Linux sucks...for now.

Ok?so, I downloaded the latest Fedora 7 Linux release. I work in IT and want to configure my home PC to dual boot to both Windows Vista and Linux. Now, I have no strong feelings for either (some people are irrationally behind one or the other). To me, they are just operating systems on computers?I look at them both as opportunities to teach myself something new and to make me more money at the work I do. BUT?.

I partition part of one of my hard drives in preparation for the Linux load. All goes well. Linux 64bit version loads flawlessly. I configure the system to give me the option of booting to either OS when my computer fires up (a handy little Linux utility called GRUB). All continues to go well. But, here is the problem. DRIVERS. This is the bane of the current Linux existence. The complete lack of driver support for many current and popular pieces of hardware.

There are no Linux drivers for my sound card and my wireless network adapter. So, no sound and no internet. Running cable is not a viable long term option right now so no Linux for me!!!!!

I hope driver support changes in the future.

On top of all that, they make installing a new driver rather archaic in Linux.

Linux lacks some of the polish that Microsoft has with Windows. Otherwise, I think it could compete.

Sorry for the rant and I know some of you have no idea about what I am talking about. I just had to vent.

X-Terminator 08-28-2007 11:22 AM

Re: Why Linux sucks...for now.

I agree totally. I use Linux on one of my machines here at work (Red Hat 9), and my biggest issue with it has always been driver support. The main core of Linux/UNIX seems to be built for older, legacy hardware, because it's most often used as a server OS and a lot of them use older hardware. It's also much more secure than Windows. And since it's open-source software (meaning you can customize/modify/write scripts and software to suit your needs), programming geeks love it too. It could be a viable home OS someday, because once you actually get all of your hardware to work, you can run almost anything on it. But until they fix the driver support problem, it'll continue to be a distant 3rd behind Windows and Mac as a choice for home users.

Hammer67 08-28-2007 02:03 PM

And, it isn't even technically more secure the Windows. It is just more secure in the sense that less people are using it. We load linux on half of our servers where I work. I like using it but you have to harden the loads baked with custom drivers.

For my wireless adapter at home, I found out that the work around is to repackage the windows driver. Linksys and Creative are two companies that really need to step up their Linux support. At least give me a basic functional driver...who cares about the bells and whistles!

X-Terminator 08-28-2007 02:38 PM

We do the same thing here with our Linux distros - every one is custom-built for our environment. You are correct, though, that Linux is more secure mainly due to its low market share. If it had Windows' market share - or hell, even Mac's share - it would be much less secure than it is now.

Unfortunately though, it's going to be a while before some companies get really serious about Linux support. Obviously Linksys and Creative don't really care about Linux since most people have never even heard of it, much less use it. So they won't put much time or money into improving it - at least for now.

Dynasty 08-28-2007 03:07 PM

The thing is, Fedora Core isn't a distro designed to be so easy-to-use right out of the box. On the other hand, if you were looking at one like Ubuntu, that would be a different story. When I have had linux on computers at my house, I never had problems setting up drivers.... but that might be because the computer had a low-end setup with many integrated components.

But I'm fairly certain that a lot of that depends on the distro.

Hammer67 08-28-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynasty (Post 285149)
The thing is, Fedora Core isn't a distro designed to be so easy-to-use right out of the box. On the other hand, if you were looking at one like Ubuntu, that would be a different story. When I have had linux on computers at my house, I never had problems setting up drivers.... but that might be because the computer had a low-end setup with many integrated components.

But I'm fairly certain that a lot of that depends on the distro.

Linux has a decent driver base for onboard and legacy hardware. Integrated graphics and sound are usually supported, as are basic NIC offerings.

What Linux distributions lack, in general, is support for (mostly end user) peripheral hardware. I was amazed that Fedora 7 found my ATI Radeon card...it's a newer x1900. But Creative and Linksys won't release drivers for it's components as they are mostly marketed to home users who would rarely use Linux. Almost anything that you would find in a server will have Linux support.

But, I think that is partly what is holding Linux back from really competing in the home market. It still is just a fringe OS that only pros and nerds will install. I would never put it on, for instance, my parents machine.