Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Food for thought.. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1917)

The JoKeR 09-26-2005 11:23 AM

Food for thought..

Everybody know the Steelers are a run first, pass when needed team. Go back to the Pats game and tell me how many rushing touchdowns there were....there were none. There were two passing touchdowns (and POSSIBLY a third if ward caught the lateral OR randel El ran it in). The Pats fan on the board (forgot your SN sorry!) posted a link where it showed the Steelers failure in the playoffs because they relied on the run so much. It shows that during cowher's tenure as head coach, we only reached the superbowl during one season.....in which that season we had a top ten ranked rushing offense and a 12th ranked passing offense. The offense is playing well. Big Ben showed yesterday that he can bring the team down the field in clutch situations. All the players are doing their jobs. HUMANS make mistakes (IE: Randel El). I was as pissed as anyone else yesterday when they lost, but after sleeping on it, I am satisfied at how the team is coming along in the THIRD week of the season. We now have two weeks to get ready for the final 13 games and it's not going to be easy (still have the divisional games to go). Just keep in mind that the Steelers can beat teams down the field with the passing game, and in week 5 we will have a backfield with Parker, Staley, and Bettis. The only worry on the defensive side of the ball is they need to make the tackles on first contact and not let receivers gain an extra 4-5 yards per play.

**Cliff notes: Steelers scored no rushing touchdowns, yet still were in it till the very last 7 seconds, last time steelers went to the superbowl, they had a 12th ranked pass off and top ten rush off. Don't look too far into week 3's loss!

Livinginthe past 09-26-2005 12:01 PM

Re: Food for thought..

Im always looking at the big picture.

I would have to disagree with your assessment of Big bens abilities yesterday in the clutch - he failed on numerous drives despite nice starting positions and only got out of jail on a 4th and 11 because of a suspiciously late flag thrown for PI.

This may well be only week3 - but the Patriots are probably the team you are going to have to beat to win it all - dont let games against teams like the Texans and the Titans kid you into thinking everthing is a-ok in Camp Steeler.

Cheers

NM

SteelersWyo 09-26-2005 12:11 PM

Man it pains me but I have to agree with Livinginthepast. We are a long way from the Steelers winning it all, but things look better than they have in a while. The Pats are still the team to beat. They lose players left and right, and still finds ways to win. Now we have to finish a game ahead of them for home field in the playoffs since they have the tie breaker. Although Heinze Field has not been real good to us in the post season.

ironcitychef 09-26-2005 12:44 PM

I am reserving the right to say things are not as bad in Steelerville like you all continue to get to say the Pats are still always going to be able to over come injuries. As for Ben, two sides of the glass...full=was at least picking the right WR to throw to, and didn't throw it to Vrabel. The tight pass to Verron in the shadow of the goal line was a moment I remember. Empty=still floating some high and outside. Overall I still say the guy is okay. As for us, two concerns...first 3rd down conver rate. We are awful on offense, and not getting off the field on defense. Two..Why doesn't Troy cover the back or crossing WR in the middle as opposed to Farrior who has been quiet this year and not the MVP quality that Haggans is showing? And of course it is only week 3, we wouldn't be able to use this game win or lose anyway. Finish the season now Steelers!