Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   3rd and 4 yds or less. shotgun formation (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=1923)

tony hipchest 09-26-2005 04:41 PM

3rd and 4 yds or less. shotgun formation

everybody knows it will be a shotgun formation and usually a pass. on a smashmouth running team. sure it usually works but look how few 3rd downs were converted yesterday. it only works against the subpar teams an belichick looks at so much game film. is anyone tired of seeing the steelers in shotgun on EVERY 3rd down play? or do you think its a good strategy. like i said it worked well in the past but only against the lesser teams.

Koopa 09-26-2005 05:46 PM

Re: 3rd and 4 yds or less. shotgun formation

i don't really know i just think heath miller should be more involved in the offense especially on 3rd downs, he'd help out a lot, also morgan might be good to put in if chad didn't interfeer with that one pass morgan gets the touchdown. we just need to mix it up a little

RoethlisBURGHer 09-26-2005 06:21 PM

Miller needs to be in the damn game more.The guy has some speed,hands,can block,and he can jsut truck people.We drafted him for a reason,now USE HIM!

clevestinks 09-26-2005 06:40 PM

Why use Miller? On third and long we ran it twice, I love Cowher but did question the play calling somewhat. I understand what your saying I`m just venting out of frustration

BlitzburghRockCity 09-26-2005 06:41 PM

the shotgun is just designed to give Ben more time to see the field and make a decision..we'll probably continue to do it, always has been that way to varying degrees since BC become the head coach.

tony hipchest 09-26-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
the shotgun is just designed to give Ben more time to see the field and make a decision..we'll probably continue to do it, always has been that way to varying degrees since BC become the head coach.

and in some games last year the steelers had like a 75% 3rd down conversion rate. it just doesnt seem to work against the patriots. but then again neither did running it on them yesterday either. cowhers almost damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. i do like the confidence it shows in big ben to make the play though.

CowherLover 09-28-2005 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity

The way their D was able to chase him around he needed to be in the shotgun! We're damn lucky he's as big and agile as he is otherwise we could be without our starting qb. O-line needs to get their protections down against this team in particular.

Black-n-Gold 09-28-2005 11:19 AM

I was hoping to see them play Duce in some of those 3rd downs, they stuck with what they couldn't get started. I don't know what down it was on, but when was the last time that a reverse actually worked for the Steelers?

tony hipchest 09-28-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black-n-Gold
I was hoping to see them play Duce in some of those 3rd downs, they stuck with what they couldn't get started. I don't know what down it was on, but when was the last time that a reverse actually worked for the Steelers?

i think that play was right before the clock mistake happened i dont know what they were trying with that mularkey either :grin: (pun intended)

Prosdo 09-28-2005 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i think that play was right before the clock mistake happened i dont know what they were trying with that mularkey either :grin: (pun intended)

lol Certainly made you remember when he use to be here.