Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why did stapleton make the team over Philip (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19292)

jsteelers51191 09-03-2007 08:27 AM

Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
He was injured for most of training camp and the preseason

4n2t0 09-03-2007 08:37 AM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsteelers51191 (Post 287277)
He was injured for most of training camp and the preseason

More upside? Your guess is as good as anyones since we can't poll the coaching staff.

Elvis 09-03-2007 08:44 AM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
He must have impressed the coaches more I guess and Phillip can play other positions is also a plus I guess... I am just ready for some FOOTBALL!!!!
:tt02:

83-Steelers-43 09-03-2007 10:37 AM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
PPG - August 31, 2007

Quote:

It appears he will cut another fourth-rounder, defensive end Ryan McBean, who was impressive early in camp but then fell way off. Fifth-rounder Cameron Stephenson, a guard from Rutgers, likely will be cut, as well. His former college teammate, Darnell Stapleton, also a guard, has been more impressive and could make it as an undrafted rookie. Another undrafted rookie with a strong chance of making the cut is running back Gary Russell. Wide receiver Dallas Baker, a seventh-round pick who led Florida in receiving last season and scored 10 touchdowns, might wind up on the practice squad.
Also fwiw, from what I heard on the FSN Pittsburgh Steelers roundtable, they (FO) liked Stapleton the day he stepped into camp.

DACEB 09-03-2007 11:03 AM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 (Post 287311)
fwiw, from what I heard on the FSN Pittsburgh Steelers roundtable, they (FO) liked Stapleton the day he stepped into camp.

Exactly what I understood and I thought it was the other way around, Stephenson was the one injured. Stapleton played in the pre-season at center I believe.

Stapleton and Phillips were both working at both guard and center, I guess Stapleton showed more promise.

comyns 09-03-2007 11:06 AM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
Others have noted that Stapleton was a Rimington award finalists(for the best center). What impresses me is that he made the award watch list before the 2006 season. At that point in time he was a a junior college transfer who had only played one year at the major college level. Add to that the fact that he played at Rutgers which had a good year in 2006 but was not exactly the center of the collegiate football universe in 2005. and its clear that he has something that gets people's attention.

83-Steelers-43 09-03-2007 11:10 AM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DACEB (Post 287322)
Exactly what I understood and I thought it was the other way around, Stephenson was the one injured. Stapleton played in the pre-season at center I believe.

Stapleton and Phillips were both working at both guard and center, I guess Stapleton showed more promise.

Quote:

Rookie free-agent offensive line man Darnell Stapleton will have surgery today for a lateral meniscus tear in his knee and will be out a minimum three weeks.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07215/806640-66.stm

Stapleton was out for a while during camp. Like I said, I'm just relaying what I heard on the Steelers roundtable and what I read in the PPG on the guy (which wasn't much). To be honest, I did not pay much attention to Stapleton when I went to Latrobe nor did I keep an eye on him during the preseason.

I'm guessing they like what they saw in his college days with Rutgers and what he has brought to the team since the start of camp up until now.

DACEB 09-03-2007 11:23 AM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 (Post 287329)
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07215/806640-66.stm

Stapleton was out for a while during camp. Like I said, I'm just relaying what I heard on the Steelers roundtable and what I read in the PPG on the guy (which wasn't much). To be honest, I did not pay much attention to Stapleton when I went to Latrobe nor did I keep an eye on him during the preseason.

I'm guessing they like what they saw in his college days with Rutgers and what he has brought to the team since the start of camp up until now.

Thanks, 83-43, comyns.

83-Steelers-43 09-03-2007 11:55 PM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DACEB (Post 287341)
Thanks, 83-43, comyns.

No problem brother. Here's another little tidbit from this mornings PPG....

Quote:

Along the offensive line, the inclusion of Darnell Stapleton is surprising only in that Stapleton was able to overcome knee surgery in training camp that had seemingly derailed his candidacy for a roster spot. Stapleton, another rookie free agent, had made a name for himself among the coaches and scouts by the conclusion of the offseason's organized team activities. And he's more position-flexible (Stapleton plays guard and center) than his former Rutgers teammate, fifth-round pick Cameron Stephenson (guard only).

Preacher 09-04-2007 01:12 AM

Re: Why did stapleton make the team over Philip
 
I too have found it weird that we let Okobi and then just put one center on the PS... without anyone else on the roster...

Thanks for the info though guys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum