Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Frye to start against the Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19298)

The Duke 09-03-2007 03:13 PM

Frye to start against the Steelers

Quote:

Frye will be Browns' starter for opener

BEREA, Ohio -- Charlie Frye will start at quarterback for Cleveland's season opener Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Frye, who started 13 games last year, entered training camp slightly behind Derek Anderson in the quarterback competition. But he outperformed Anderson during preseason games and directed one touchdown drive against the Denver Broncos. Anderson produced no touchdowns when he led the offense during preseason games.

David Maxwell / Getty Images
Charlie Frye started 13 games for the Browns in 2006.

Coach Romeo Crennel said Monday the position will be evaluated on a weekly basis. But he wouldn't say if Frye's backup was rookie Brady Quinn, a first-round draft pick, or Anderson.

Quinn, selected 22nd overall in April, missed 11 days of training camp in a holdout, but led four touchdown drives in three preseason games, mostly against backups.

Crennel said Frye's experience playing against Pittsburgh and as a team leader was the deciding factor.

"I think that gives us the best chance to win," he said.

Frye said he's looking forward to facing the rival Steelers.

"Obviously I'm excited," he said. "I've been working hard. The competition's been going since minicamp, and I think all of us have benefited from it. It's going to help the team."

The Browns on Saturday released a fourth quarterback, Ken Dorsey, who acted as a mentor to Quinn during training camp.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

I don't get it, first they say they're going to keep the steelers guessing who will start and now they confirm Frye will start. Browns Front office :dang:

Quote:

Crennel said Frye's experience playing against Pittsburgh and as a team leader was the deciding factor.
He means experience at getting his ass kicked against pittsburgh right :wink02:

j-dawg 09-03-2007 03:37 PM

Re: Frye to start against the Steelers

Savage had a pretty in depth press conference on Saturday. He made some points that I was glad to hear.

“I felt it was unrealistic to expect a quarterback to come in after holding out and missing 16 practices, not play in the first preseason game, play in the remaining preseason games and then be at the controls of an $800 million organization against some pretty complex defenses.”

Savage also pointed out that Derek Anderson and Charlie Frye combined to attempt about 700 passes during training camp and preseason games. Quinn attempted 97 passes prior to last week.

Savage thinks that having better surrounding talent will make Frye a more productive quarterback, I totally agree.

Everybody knew, (team, coaching, general manager, most of the fans) that after the bears preseason game, Frye was going to start against the Steelers.

stillers4me 09-03-2007 03:51 PM

Looks like we'll have to wait til November to use Quinn as a tackling dummy. We'll be warmed up good by then...................:wink02:

Are they going to have to put Brady in a separate room on Sunday when he cries and pouts on the sideline????? :coffee:

rog 09-03-2007 03:54 PM

Atleast there are not going to ruin any chance of a real career for Brady right away.

Black@Gold Forever32 09-03-2007 04:22 PM

I knew it was going to be Frye....I knew Anderson wouldn't win the job...I'm just sad the Steelers won't get to kick the living crap out of Brady Quinn Sunday....lol I can't wait until Harrison,Haggans or Woodley knock the crap out of him though...lol

MACH1 09-03-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rog (Post 287430)
Atleast there are not going to ruin any chance of a real career for Brady right away.

It was ruined when they drafted him.....:wink02:

MasterOfPuppets 09-03-2007 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=j-dawg;287427]

Savage thinks that having better surrounding talent will make Frye a more productive quarterback, I totally agree.

QUOTE]
:jawdrop: wow !!! this savage guy is a freakin genius !!! :toofunny:

Atlanta Dan 09-03-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillers4me (Post 287428)
Looks like we'll have to wait til November to use Quinn as a tackling dummy. We'll be warmed up good by then...................:wink02:

Are they going to have to put Brady in a separate room on Sunday when he cries and pouts on the sideline????? :coffee:

You can bet there will be sideline shots with the Brady-Cam of his reactions whenever Frye gets sacked, intercepted, or otherwise screws up.

j-dawg 09-03-2007 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=MasterOfPuppets;287449]
Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dawg (Post 287427)

QUOTE]
:jawdrop: wow !!! this savage guy is a freakin genius !!! :toofunny:

:yawn:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...snatchers2.jpg

are not funny. :flap:

steelerbackr4life 09-03-2007 05:37 PM

Does it really matter who the Brown stains put under center? I say that Harrison is the first one to get a sack in 2007 and it comes against whoever is the unfortunate individual playing QB for the Brown stains