Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Once again.... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19346)

Welcome To Smashmouth 09-04-2007 10:28 PM

Once again....
 
Thusfar I've been extremely happy with what I've heard/seen from the coaching staff this year.....but to me the most expected thing to see out of the staff during training camp up to the start of the regular season is to make sure the best player is on the field.

I dont think that is the case this year.

If you'd like to make an argument AGAINST Anthony Smith starting, taking into consideration the fact that hes done nothing but PRODUCED under the small amount of time he gets on the field, then please feel free to "enlighten" me.

McFadden sitting on the bench as a rookie is understandable, the second year: ehh I'm not liking it but I'll live, BUT THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!! Man, I just don't get it. I started salivating at the mouth with the thought of Porter, McFadden, and Smith laying down the law on their side of the field......if you were to tell me at the close of the '06 season that NONE OF THE TREE would be starting, I'd have laughed and simply stated "Dude.....watch a f'ing steelers game!'

I like Deshea, I like Harrison, and I like Clark. But I also have watched, studied, loved, supported, questioned, screamed at, and re-found faith in this football team....lets give the proper players their shot at performing on a regular basis....they've earned it

Preacher 09-04-2007 10:36 PM

Re: Once again....
 
Smith.

I too like him, tremendously. Though he would be starting this year. However, I can understand him not starting. FS is the QB of the defense. If he doesn't have the ability yet to read the offense and call plays, re-set the defense, support the SS, etc., then he shouldn't start. That is the type of things that we may NOT see. Yes, he produced. But it may be possible that his production didn't make up for the mistakes he made in calling the defense before a play. I think he will end up starting at some point. When, I don't know.

The Duke 09-04-2007 10:44 PM

Re: Once again....
 
I would love for Anthony to start, but this is Tomlin's first year so I'm trusting his decisions, I would also like Bryant to start at corner but Tomlin knows what he's doing. Sooner or later we'll see this guys starting

shutdown 09-04-2007 11:37 PM

Re: Once again....
 
McFadden cried and moaned about starting PT then gave up an obvious cross pattern up the middle for the TD.

Or CB's have been suspect for quite sometime and im crossing my fingers Tomlin, with his expertise, attempts to adjust this. Granted with MIN his passing defense blew but with T.B. he was great. I think he has a knack for it and there is a reason why McFadden isnt starting yet.

Preacher 09-04-2007 11:43 PM

Re: Once again....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shutdown (Post 288088)
McFadden cried and moaned about starting PT then gave up an obvious cross pattern up the middle for the TD.

Or CB's have been suspect for quite sometime and im crossing my fingers Tomlin, with his expertise, attempts to adjust this. Granted with MIN his passing defense blew but with T.B. he was great. I think he has a knack for it and there is a reason why McFadden isnt starting yet.

I so hope you're right.

tony hipchest 09-05-2007 12:00 AM

Re: Once again....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welcome To Smashmouth (Post 288059)
Thusfar I've been extremely happy with what I've heard/seen from the coaching staff this year.....but to me the most expected thing to see out of the staff during training camp up to the start of the regular season is to make sure the best player is on the field.

I dont think that is the case this year.

If you'd like to make an argument AGAINST Anthony Smith starting, taking into consideration the fact that hes done nothing but PRODUCED under the small amount of time he gets on the field, then please feel free to "enlighten" me.

McFadden sitting on the bench as a rookie is understandable, the second year: ehh I'm not liking it but I'll live, BUT THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!! Man, I just don't get it. I started salivating at the mouth with the thought of Porter, McFadden, and Smith laying down the law on their side of the field......if you were to tell me at the close of the '06 season that NONE OF THE TREE would be starting, I'd have laughed and simply stated "Dude.....watch a f'ing steelers game!'

I like Deshea, I like Harrison, and I like Clark. But I also have watched, studied, loved, supported, questioned, screamed at, and re-found faith in this football team....lets give the proper players their shot at performing on a regular basis....they've earned it

the steelers defense allowed fewer points per game than any other team in the preseason (tomlin era). are you asking for better than the best?

Preacher 09-05-2007 12:06 AM

Re: Once again....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 288094)
the steelers defense allowed fewer points per game than any other team in the preseason (tomlin era). are you asking for better than the best?

Of course... we are Steeler fans.

If we don't win the SB by 30 points, people will call for Tomlin's head!!

Galax Steeler 09-05-2007 03:56 AM

Re: Once again....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 288097)
Of course... we are Steeler fans.

If we don't win the SB by 30 points, people will call for Tomlin's head!!

We want to win by 40 points.:smile:

Steel Pit 09-05-2007 04:50 AM

Re: Once again....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welcome To Smashmouth (Post 288059)
Thusfar I've been extremely happy with what I've heard/seen from the coaching staff this year.....but to me the most expected thing to see out of the staff during training camp up to the start of the regular season is to make sure the best player is on the field.

I dont think that is the case this year.

If you'd like to make an argument AGAINST Anthony Smith starting, taking into consideration the fact that hes done nothing but PRODUCED under the small amount of time he gets on the field, then please feel free to "enlighten" me.

McFadden sitting on the bench as a rookie is understandable, the second year: ehh I'm not liking it but I'll live, BUT THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!! Man, I just don't get it. I started salivating at the mouth with the thought of Porter, McFadden, and Smith laying down the law on their side of the field......if you were to tell me at the close of the '06 season that NONE OF THE TREE would be starting, I'd have laughed and simply stated "Dude.....watch a f'ing steelers game!'

I like Deshea, I like Harrison, and I like Clark. But I also have watched, studied, loved, supported, questioned, screamed at, and re-found faith in this football team....lets give the proper players their shot at performing on a regular basis....they've earned it

I also would like to see Anthony Smith start. I'm sure that he'll make a few more mental mistakes then Clark will but I think that the BIGGER hits delivered by Smith will TRUMP a few mental mistakes.

The same assessment probably holds true for McFadden. Townsend is simply better mentally prepared but McFadden is 3 times the athlete. He reminds me a lot of Rod Woodson just by the way that he breaks on the ball. I'll accept a few errors by McFadden in exchange for the interceptions that he'll come away with.

I hope that these 2 guys find the starting line-up soon. I hate to see young talent wasting away on the bench.

DACEB 09-05-2007 09:10 AM

Re: Once again....
 
I had stated in another thread that Tomlin is going with the vets in many of these situations. I look at it as a good thing for now in the sense that the younger guys are working even harder to get on the field. At the same time the vets know there is someone just itching for that oppurtunity. I agree with everyone on the potential Smith and McFadden have shown, but the vets bring consistency and I think that's what Tomlin is looking at right now.

These players will have plenty of oppurtunity to play in certain packages, so we will see them plenty. Let's see what type of impression they make!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum