Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Big Receivers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19454)

SteelermanBirth2Death 09-08-2007 11:28 AM

Big Receivers

Why did we, once again, let go of our big receives? Not only did we get rid of Walter Young again, but we also dismissed the rookie Dallas Baker. I thought Walter had a good preseason, when he was given a chance. I know we have some talented receivers, but a tall target, when your on the goal line, is always good to have too. Maybe Im just reminecent of Hines and Plaxico. I think you just cant go wrong with a receiver that can go up and get the ball over defenders.

yinzer-inseattle 09-08-2007 11:42 AM

Re: Big Receivers

Size doesn't matter if you can't get open (against first stringers). Size alone is overrated Steve Smith 5-9 and Marvin Harrison 6-0 are two of the best in the league. Plus with the way we run, I'd much rather have Hines at 6-0 knocking people's blocks off then some 6-4 guy who's not committed to doing the same.

The Duke 09-08-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle (Post 289628)
Size doesn't matter if you can't get open (against first stringers). Size alone is overrated Steve Smith 5-9 and Marvin Harrison 6-0 are two of the best in the league. Plus with the way we run, I'd much rather have Hines at 6-0 knocking people's blocks off then some 6-4 guy who's not committed to doing the same.

exaclty, like randy moss :wink02:

And we also got our tight ends for the end zone, that's a reason I hope we got Spaeth in the 3rd round for

lamberts-lost-tooth 09-08-2007 12:24 PM

LOL...I wouldnt bring up Plaxico if you are trying to sell us on taller recievers.

OneForTheToe 09-08-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle (Post 289628)
Size doesn't matter .............. Size alone is overrated

I agree, and thank god for that :hope: ....I mean, lade da lade de da . I have heard others say that.is the case. :ouch: VIVA, VIVA VI ....... :banana:

Mosca 09-08-2007 01:48 PM

The big guy brings the ball down, and there's the little cornerback with his hands in the way, knocking the ball loose.

Give me guys who will be where they're supposed to be, doing what they're supposed to do, and I'll beat a bunch of undisciplined big guys every time.

You can have Plex.

Tom

MasterOfPuppets 09-08-2007 02:34 PM

15 out of last years top 25 recievers were listed as 6 ft and under.

4n2t0 09-08-2007 03:04 PM

MasterOfPuppets re-sort your top 25 by TD's instead of yards. All of a sudden there are only 3-4 receivers that are under 6 foot. Tall receivers are usually valued for their red zone abilities. It's hard to create space/separation in red zone situations, you run out of field quickly :egg:. Regardless, the Steelers should be fine with two pass catching TE's over 6 foot.

SteelermanBirth2Death 09-08-2007 03:37 PM

That is what my point was. If you throw a floater to the corner of the endzone, I think a tall receiver would be a better target. I believe that it wouldnt hurt to have someone, other then TEs, to throw the ball to.

Galax Steeler 09-09-2007 06:41 AM

It wouldn't hurt to have a tall reciever but I don't think baker showed that much in preseason I know he dropped several passes so what good is he if he can't hold on to the ball in the endzone.I would have liked to seen young make the team but who do you cut to make a roster spot for him.