Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   4th and short... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19581)

RoethlisBURGHer 09-11-2007 09:49 AM

4th and short...

...and Mike Tomlin decides to go for it instead of punting.

I loved that playcall against the Browns. Cowher never would have done it, he would have punted, giving the Browns momentum.

I liked the agressive playcalling. When it came time for that big desicision, Tomlin didn't back down and go all conservative.

:tt02:

Tankus_Maximus 09-11-2007 10:22 AM

Re: 4th and short...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer (Post 291967)
...and Mike Tomlin decides to go for it instead of punting.

I loved that playcall against the Browns. Cowher never would have done it, he would have punted, giving the Browns momentum.

I liked the agressive playcalling. When it came time for that big desicision, Tomlin didn't back down and go all conservative.

:tt02:

Yup, gotta agree with you there. There's a new sheriff in town, with a new attitude!

It's refreshing, to say the least!

onthebus36 09-11-2007 10:27 AM

I agree.

During the Eagles game, their rush was getting to us in the first quarter so we switched to quick slants and screens. I couldn't help but think Cowher would have continued to pound the rock. That was the first big indicator to me that there was a new flexibility with the team's coaching.

jjpro11 09-11-2007 10:34 AM

how do you know what cowher would have done? he was an aggressive coach himself. these hypothetical cowher-tomlin comparisons are understandable, but rather silly.

alittlejazzbird 09-11-2007 10:57 AM

Forgive my somewhat jaundiced eye, but we'll see how aggressive Coach (or Arians, assuming Tomlin means what he says about letting them do their jobs) is on a 4th and short against, say, Baltimore or New England, if we're trailing in the game. Go for it there, and that's impressive.

We had the Browns in hand from our very first possession. Going for it on fourth down was a much easier decision and it twisted the knife a little, which is always nice. I'm glad they did it too, but still.

Counselor 09-11-2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird (Post 292023)
Forgive my somewhat jaundiced eye, but we'll see how aggressive Coach (or Arians, assuming Tomlin means what he says about letting them do their jobs) is on a 4th and short against, say, Baltimore or New England, if we're trailing in the game. Go for it there, and that's impressive.

We had the Browns in hand from our very first possession. Going for it on fourth down was a much easier decision and it twisted the knife a little, which is always nice. I'm glad they did it too, but still.

Of course it depends on the situation. It depends on the lead, on how much you trust your defense on a given day, on where you are on the field. Going for it on fourth and inches can be stupid, not impressive, in some situations no matter who you are playing--so forgive me, but I would not say that whether or not Tomlin goes for 4th and inches against the Ravens (who didn't look very good last night) or New England will tell us if Tomlin is gutsy.

BlastFurnace 09-11-2007 11:37 AM

I don't know what Cowher would have done, but what I did love about this was the confident look on Tomlin's eye when the camera caught him at the moment he said "go for it". There was no hesitation and a belief that the players he has coached could get the job done.

SteelerFanInCA 09-11-2007 12:16 PM

That was a great call by Tomlin. Cowher probably would have punted the ball away.

Preacher 09-11-2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlastFurnace (Post 292039)
I don't know what Cowher would have done, but what I did love about this was the confident look on Tomlin's eye when the camera caught him at the moment he said "go for it". There was no hesitation and a belief that the players he has coached could get the job done.

Cowher would have punted it.

Yeah, Tomlin looked like he already decided what to do, before the situation had really came up.

What I liked was the killer instinct. We are up by what was it, 10 at the time? Tomlin's idea was to finish the game right there, in the second quarter. Put up the extra points, bury the Browns, and then just smack them the rest of the game.

DACEB 09-11-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlastFurnace (Post 292039)

For someone like myself that could not watch the game, that doesn't get the local Burgh coverage, this is the priceless information that I crave.