Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Roethlisberger/Arians on same page (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19701)

83-Steelers-43 09-15-2007 06:48 AM

Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
Steelers' Roethlisberger, Arians on same page
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 15, 2007

It was time to go for the jugular, and Ben Roethlisberger told his teammates as much in the huddle.

"When it's a home run shot and we're really going for it, I tell them, 'Hey guys, line, give me some time,' " Roethlisberger said. "And I told Santonio, 'Hey, this is coming to you, so make a play.' "

Roethlisberger got the time he needed and wide receiver Santonio Holmes did his part Sunday, getting behind the Cleveland secondary and hauling in a perfect, 40-yard strike from Roethlisberger that put the Steelers up, 17-0, late in the first quarter.

It was a play that Roethlisberger had pushed for in the days leading up to the Browns game during his chats with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

The two now get together on a regular basis and discuss what to call and what not to call and when.

The meetings with Arians afford Roethlisberger an opportunity to help formulate the game plan each week by rejecting plays he isn't comfortable with and endorsing those he trusts.

Heading into Sunday's home opener against Buffalo, the Steelers figure to be that much more confident in the process based on the way things played out in Cleveland, especially on first-and-10 from the Browns 40-yard line late in the first quarter immediately after they recovered a Jamal Lewis fumble.

"We saw that their defense plays a lot of Cover 2 and we knew that play was going to be good," Roethlisberger said. "We thought we could get them to really jump, the back-side safety would jump (wide receiver) Hines (Ward, who was running an underneath route). And the front-side safety, Santonio would give him a double-move and we knew that he'd probably jump the first part.

"I looked the safety to the left onto Hines and then just went up top."

Roethlisberger said "pretty much every touchdown" against the Browns had been scored on a play he had campaigned for with Arians.

The two begin going over potential options on Tuesdays and get more specific as the week progresses.

"Bruce and I go up after practice on Fridays, I sit up there and we go over the whole game plan, 'this is what I like, this is what I don't like,'" Roethlisberger said. "We do it a couple times a week.

"The plays that we scored on were all plays that I told him I liked."

Roethlisberger is also being asked to change the blocking assignments for the offensive line at the line of scrimmage when necessary and encouraged to call audibles for the first time this season.

He estimated that stuff came up about 10-plus times in Cleveland.

He wasn't required to deal with those added responsibilities more often because the Steelers never went to their no-huddle package because they produced big plays as opposed to sustained drives and because he and Arians were apparently in agreement as to how to attack the Browns.

"There were some changes that were made, but for the most part, Bruce called a great game," Roethlisberger said. "I didn't have to change too much."

FOUR SCORE

Four plays that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger thought would work and did last Sunday in Cleveland. Roethlisberger threw a career-high four TD passes and the Steelers beat the Browns, 34-7:

Quarter-Down-and-distance-Yard line-Play-Result

First-Third-and-5-Cleveland 5-Pass to WR Hines Ward-TD

First-First-and-10-Cleveland 40-Pass to WR Santonio Holmes-TD

Third-Second-and-5-Cleveland 5-Pass to TE Matt Spaeth-TD

Third-First-and-10-Cleveland 22-Pass to TE Heath Miller-TD

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_527565.html

Atlanta Dan 09-15-2007 10:28 AM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
Roethlisberger said "pretty much every touchdown" against the Browns had been scored on a play he had campaigned for with Arians.

Glad to see Ben is willing to deflect credit to others for last week's triumph over the Browns juggernaut:dang:

ExtonSteelFan 09-15-2007 10:41 AM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
How come every time an article is posted on here there's someone right there waiting to jump on ANY potential negative comment that was made by Ben? Everyone's got an opinion which I understand, but I don't think that particular point was really that obvious in an article which clearly focused on the positive points of Ben's first game.

Atlanta Dan, I mean no disrespect, but I'm just curious why you pointed that out in this particular article? I didn't pull anything negative out of Ben's statements.

JimMac 09-15-2007 10:50 AM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
Let's see if he can do that against the Bill "juggernaut" DE, lol

Atlanta Dan 09-15-2007 11:56 AM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtonSteelFan (Post 294124)
How come every time an article is posted on here there's someone right there waiting to jump on ANY potential negative comment that was made by Ben? Everyone's got an opinion which I understand, but I don't think that particular point was really that obvious in an article which clearly focused on the positive points of Ben's first game.

Atlanta Dan, I mean no disrespect, but I'm just curious why you pointed that out in this particular article? I didn't pull anything negative out of Ben's statements.

It is not just Ben - it is Ben in this case.. I happen not to admire jocks who feel a need to call attention to their self-centered wonderfulness (e.g. - my comments about Faneca's offseason whining)

With regard to Ben, throughout the offseason and preseason he has been taking snide digs at Whiz and Cowher. He could have just said they had a lot of success together but time moves on - instead he has elected to go in another direction - that is his right but if I find it be a sign of immaturity.

Now, in a game where the Steelers trashed perhaps the worst team in football, IMO it would not have been inappropriate for Ben to have just thanked Arians for calling a good game. Instead we get the claim that "pretty much every" play that went for TDs were those which Ben had the keen insight to sift out of the playbook in the days prior to the game and had the foresight for which to "campaign"

Then for good measure he contradicted Tomlin when his new HC had the audacity to say too much was being made about Ben's involvement in the offense:

Coach Mike Tomlin said too much is being made of Roethlisberger's involvement and control of the offense. But Roethlisberger, who threw a career-best four touchdowns against the Browns, said, "Bruce is giving me a lot more freedom to do stuff. [Tomlin] wasn't here last year to know what was going on. I'm not going to take all the credit by any means ... but I'm able to do a lot more than I ever have."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07257/817481-66.stm

Nice way to support your new head coach.

83-Steelers-43 09-15-2007 11:58 AM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
lol, I'm not even touching this one. It's not even worth the air with some. Good luck Dan..lol.

83-Steelers-43 09-15-2007 11:59 AM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMac (Post 294125)
Let's see if he can do that against the Bill "juggernaut" DE, lol

Get all our wins now. We are going to need them after these next three games are up.

fansince'76 09-15-2007 12:00 PM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 (Post 294139)
lol, I'm not even touching this one. It's not even worth the air with some.

Nope, me neither. I made myself pretty clear on where I stand on the issue in another thread recently anyway.

83-Steelers-43 09-15-2007 12:03 PM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 294137)
It is not just Ben - it is Ben in this case.. I happen not to admire jocks who feel a need to call attention to their self-centered wonderfulness (e.g. - my comments about Faneca's offseason whining)

With regard to Ben, throughout the offseason and preseason he has been taking snide digs at Whiz and Cowher. He could have just said they had a lot of success together but time moves on - instead he has elected to go in another direction - that is his right but if I find it be a sign of immaturity.

Now, in a game where the Steelers trashed perhaps the worst team in football, IMO it would not have been inappropriate for Ben to have just thanked Arians for calling a good game. Instead we get the claim that "pretty much every" play that went for TDs were those which Ben had the keen insight to sift out of the playbook in the days prior to the game and had the foresight for which to "campaign"

Just do what I did this morning when I read it. Laugh, shake your head and roll your eyes. :cheers:

fansince'76 09-15-2007 12:03 PM

Re: Roethlisberger/Arians on same page
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 (Post 294142)
Just do what I did this morning when I read it. Laugh, shake your head and roll your eyes. :cheers:

By the way, caught one, 83. :mg: :chuckle:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum