Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Billick screaming foul (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19792)

I-Want-Troy's-Hair 09-17-2007 08:56 PM

Billick screaming foul

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...40813162&ATT=5

Mangini learned from the BEST!!!

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) - Ravens coach Brian Billick accused the New York Jets of using an "illegal" ploy to draw Baltimore offside during Sunday's game.

Billick said Monday that the Jets' defense shouted out signals to intentionally throw off the Baltimore offense. Billick claimed the tactic led to the three illegal procedure penalties against the Ravens.

"They did an outstanding job. I credit the New York Jets. Their defensive line and linebackers did a very, very effective job of illegally simulating the snap count," Billick said. "They did it the whole game long. It needs to be caught."

Tackle Adam Terry bolted offside in the first and third quarters. Tight end Quinn Sypniewski jumped in the first quarter.

"That's not an excuse by any stretch of the imagination. But it is illegal," Billick said. "Our guys have to deal with it. I don't know how to help my linemen with that because, you're in the heat of battle and you're calling the snap count, and the guy across from you is also calling a snap count - which is illegal."

The Ravens won the game 20-13. Baltimore took a 20-3 lead into the fourth quarter but nearly wilted under a comeback by the Jets, who benefited from four fourth-quarter penalties against Baltimore.

For the game, New York received two penalties for 20 yards and the Ravens were penalized 11 times for 100 yards.

"You have to look at the nature of the penalties. First off, the fact that we had 11 penalties and they only had two and we dominated the game," Billick said. "I have a hard time understanding that the team that was playing so well and dominating had so many penalties and the other team had only two."

Billick's complaint against the Jets could represent the coaching fraternity's first piece of retribution against Jets coach Eric Mangini for the role the Jets played in turning in the Patriots for illegally taping the Jets' defensive signals. Billick may want to spread the word that in his view, Mangini isn't exactly a model coaching citizen, either.

Atlanta Dan 09-17-2007 09:01 PM

Re: Billick screaming foul

:sofunny: Every Belicheat disciple cheats!

IMO the Mangini as Judas subplot for outing Belicheat will cause Mangini grief with a number of the control freak HCs in the NFL who expect total loyalty for life from their assistants

The counterattack is set out in this New York Times column as follows:

Mangini didn’t just flip on Belichick, costing his former mentor a celebrated image that has been reflected in a shelf-full of Lombardi Trophies, as well as a $500,000 fine and a prime draft pick. He did more. He also humiliated the respected Patriots owner and league power player Robert K. Kraft.

That sin has left Mangini toxic to some team executives. After all, would you trust him? Is there anyone — a player, assistant, general manager, owner or mascot — that he wouldn’t betray in a pinch?...

Belichick is who he is. Mangini is the one with an identity crisis. He wants to portray himself as the anti-Bill — oozing charm when talking family values — and yet he longs to be Hoodie, to be known as wickedly smart.

Calling out his mentor lacked thought, though. It is not the wisest idea to mess with the N.F.L.’s version of Zeus. The wisdom of Mangini’s decision to flip Bill will play out all season — and maybe beyond

http://select.nytimes.com/2007/09/18...tml?ref=sports

Nixon/John Dean = Belicheat/Mangenius

TroysBadDawg 09-17-2007 09:05 PM

Is this going to become like the Key Stone Cops? Each one yelling foul at the other? I telling on you, your cheating, no your cheating bigger. no you are. no you are. no you.

ShutDown24 09-17-2007 09:08 PM

It seems to me that the "genius" down in B-more decided to take advantage of the current league happenings...

HometownGal 09-17-2007 09:10 PM

tony hipchest 09-17-2007 09:13 PM

as the article dan linked shows, brian billick was probably rubbing manginas nose in the fact that he was a narc and what goes around, comes around, by pointing out that eric isnt necessarily on the up and up. billick has obviously got the back of the " fraternity of old school coache"s" order.

fansince'76 09-17-2007 09:53 PM

Sour grapes. What the hell is Billick the pompous ass complaining about? They won, for chrissakes.

Quote:

Billick said Monday that the Jets' defense shouted out signals to intentionally throw off the Baltimore offense.
Mmmm...yeah Brian, it's called football. That's a far cry from a cameraman, so give it up and stop whining over a game you won.

MACH1 09-17-2007 11:20 PM

Last time I heard, defenses simulating play calls or snap counts was a penalty. Then why did they not get penalized? All the refs have to do is throw the flag.

tony hipchest 09-17-2007 11:48 PM

ravens were penalized 11 times for 100 yds. only 3 of those 11 were for what the brain is bitching about.

so much for billicks "not to make excuses" spew.

man. we cant play these pansies soon enough. i would love to have them next weekend to give them something to cry about, while theyre still sour pussing it over their monday night meltdown against the bungles.