Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Steelers' D vs. Brady, Moss and the Pats (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19803)

DACEB 09-18-2007 12:15 PM

Steelers' D vs. Brady, Moss and the Pats

O.K. I'm sure everyone knows that the Pats dismantled the Jets and the highly touted Chargers, and actually made it look easy.

Brady to Moss has looked pretty unstoppable, granted I don't think neither the Jets or Chargers played well defensively. The Chargers actually deployed their base 3-4 against the Pats 4 WR set, which the LBs were easily overmatched by the WRs speed. The Jets brought absolutely no pressure on Brady which gave him all the time in the world to pick them apart.

My question is, what defensive package and what personell would the Steelers put on the field to combat the Pats 4 & 5 WR sets?

I myself like a 4 man D-line so that you can apply some pressure with just the front 4 instead of 3 men and a possible blitzer. The Steelers have used a combination of Keisel, Hoke, Hampton and Smith for their DIME package with Woodley subbing. I prefer the natural DE over the OLB playing DE in the DIME package.

2 deep safeties and 4 CBs.

The man in the middle of the formation is important to me, and is usually a LB. That is where Timmons could play a major role, with his speed and athletism. Timmons does'nt have the experience at this time so Farrior would probably be the man. I would actually put Polamalu in the middle and put Clark and Smith at safeties. Troy can cover much more ground, is a great blitzer, and can tackle in the open field. This would also put Smith in position to play the ball and lay the big hit.

What do you all think?

fansince'76 09-18-2007 12:21 PM

Re: Steelers' D vs. Brady, Moss and the Pats

DACEB - I hope you don't mind, but I renamed the thread "Steelers' D vs. Brady, Moss and the Pats" - thanks.

Polly 09-18-2007 12:34 PM

I like it, but I wouldn't be surprised if lebeau rushes 3 guys and keeps brady guessin on whether that fourth man is commin or droppin back in coverage. What you said about polamalu in the middle could be quite risky. I like it though because brady wouldn't have a clue what troy is going to do. Anthony smith is a beast dont get me wrong I love the guy, but brady will be lookin his way..a lot.

Brady will still pass for a lot of yards, and he always seems to exploit the steelers pass defense when he plays us, always. With moss, stallworth, and welter, I'd be havin nightmares if I were lebeau

tony hipchest 09-18-2007 12:43 PM

this big dime is something lebeau and the 4 linemen really like. of course the lb's such as foote think it sucks to come off the field but they admit the scheme is effective.

the good thing about this package is that if a team tries to run out of it, our 6 db's are excellent in run support. i think weve played a simple form of it to this point. once we get to more complicated offenses with more talent, is when we could see something like troy coming on a blitz while timmons drops back to pick up his man.

TackleMeBen 09-18-2007 12:50 PM

i dont care what defense we have out there as long as they can keep brady on his rear all game..

NateC 09-18-2007 01:04 PM

In my mind Only way to be effective againse the pats is to just slow them down, Brady if he is in the game is gonna find targets. but can we step up on D and make maybe even 1 big play, thats the question i know we can but will we. And on offense we can also basically do what we want. Ben can find open guys with time. I have confidence in that. i also think we will be able to get the ground game going with najah and willie at the right times. maybe a few more passes to willie and a few more runs to NaJEHHH. you cant Stop the pats, we can hope to pressure pressure and pressure some more and try to slow em down. and hope our offense just plain scores more points.

DACEB 09-18-2007 01:07 PM

absolutely Tony, These are the types of packages that Tomlin wants Timmons in on. These are the types of packages where Timmons would show his versatility. Imagine Troy and Timmons wandering around the line of scrimmage with both having the ability to blitz, cover and attack the ball carrier.

Polly, you have a concern with Smith in coverage? I think from strictly a coverage standpoint (2 deep safety zone)that Smith has all the ability and speed Troy has and I just love his hitting. I look at it like this, we won't be able to stop them all the time so you need someone to lay that BIG hit to deter Moss from running rampant. It's amazing how many balls get dropped when the WRs are looking around for the big hit.

I think we have some talented DBs. No way would I put Townsend on Moss, but Ike would do a good job. Put someone with more speed, like McFadden, on Stallworth and let Townsend cover the crafty Welker. Gay and Smith have shown themselves to be quite the ballhawks so I actually think we have the personell.

Rotorhead 09-18-2007 01:08 PM

The Pats are stoppable, we have done it before. We need to get pressure on Brady and not let him sit in the pocket picking us apart. We need to take away the long plays so they have to work for their yardage. And we have to do what we do best, stop the running game and make them 1 dimensional.

TackleMeBen 09-18-2007 01:09 PM

well we did get to peyton that year... so maybe we can do the same to the sperminator aka brady

fansince'76 09-18-2007 01:11 PM

If we pressure Brady, we will be successful, if not, we will get eaten alive. Simple.