Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Joey Porter's Bark Proves Bigger Than His Bite (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19807)

alittlejazzbird 09-18-2007 01:17 PM

Joey Porter's Bark Proves Bigger Than His Bite

From Alex Marvez's column yesterday on Foxsports.com....so far, looks like the Rooneys once again knew exactly when to cut ties.

And props to Terrell Owens for the (probably unbeknownst to him) "Marion the Barbarian" musical theatre pun. (sorry, a little musician humor, couldn't resist) :wink02:

After Sunday?s 37-20 loss to Dallas, linebacker Joey Porter should know it was easier to back his words when playing for Pittsburgh rather than the downtrodden Miami Dolphins.

Porter talked some trash about Marion Barber to FOXSports.com before the game, calling him ?BLEEP y? and saying the Cowboys running back ?thinks he?s a tough guy sometimes.? Porter also said he was ?going to be looking for? Barber.

It didn?t take long for Porter to find him, as the two exchanged words on the field before the game. Porter also was penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct on Barber?s first carry when ripping off his helmet on a tackle.

Barber was unfazed and proceeded to rush for 89 yards and two touchdowns on just 14 carries. Porter finished with a measly two tackles, which isn?t what the Dolphins expected when signing him to a five-year, $32 million contract this off-season.

Barber said afterward that he was unaware of Porter?s pre-game comments and had nothing further to add. But such a plea of ignorance sounds suspicious, especially when wide receiver Terrell Owens said he knew about Porter?s barbs.

?I think Marion handled that situation very nicely getting into the end zone twice,? Owens said. ?Marion, by no means, is going to shy from anyone. His name should be ?Marion the Barbarian? because he has a nose and a knack for the goal line. If there is contact to be made, he's going to make it."

As for Porter, he was short with Dolphins media after a second consecutive loss.

?We are a better defense than we showed the last two weeks,? Porter said. ?To have it happen like it did (against Dallas) ? it?s kind of embarrassing.?

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs..._than_his_bite

fansince'76 09-18-2007 01:26 PM

Re: Joey Porter's Bark Proves Bigger Than His Bite

Quote:

Porter also was penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct on Barber’s first carry when ripping off his helmet on a tackle.
Quote:

Porter finished with a measly two tackles, which isn’t what the Dolphins expected when signing him to a five-year, $32 million contract this off-season.
So, one of the two times Porter did anything all game, he gets himself tagged for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The decline of Peezy continues....

tony hipchest 09-18-2007 01:30 PM

i'll still give porter style points for ripping off the dallas cowhelmet.

Atlanta Dan 09-18-2007 01:39 PM

With regard to 2 disgruntled vets, Faneca has kept quiet since the regular season started - any thoughts on whether Joey would be running his mouth about his contract situation if he was still in Pittsburgh?

Joey was a great Steeler for many years, but give the Rooneys credit to recognize cutting ties was the way to go even if they received nothing in return.

rbryan 09-18-2007 01:58 PM

I must admit that Faneca has looked pretty good the first two games. If he continues to play like he has, he will get paid.

I don't take any satisfaction from JP going down hill. I think everyone except Miami saw that coming. I will choose to remember him running over Peyton Manning when it counted the most during the 05 playoffs as my lasting memory of him.

fansince'76 09-18-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryan (Post 296357)
I don't take any satisfaction from JP going down hill.

Me neither, I said what I said more as being glad we didn't break the bank to keep him, which more than a few wanted us to do.

alittlejazzbird 09-18-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryan (Post 296357)
I don't take any satisfaction from JP going down hill. I think everyone except Miami saw that coming. I will choose to remember him running over Peyton Manning when it counted the most during the 05 playoffs as my lasting memory of him.

I'm with you - I'm always rooting for former Steelers as long as it doesn't affect us on a divisional basis, so there's no joy here over his misfortune. Even though we couldn't keep Peezy, I'll always wish him well unless he's playing against the Steelers or we're fighting for the same playoff spot.

Also agree re: the '05 Indy game; it's my best memory of him, and the one I'll keep.

rog 09-18-2007 04:27 PM

Just so everyone knows I still have my signed Joey Porter jersey hanging on my wall but he needs to learn how to quit running his mouth. I'm not sure but I don't think Barber called him out so why does he feel like he has to do this it doesn't make sense. I loved watching Porter play for us and was sad to see him go but I don't know if he stayed if Tomlin would put up with this kind of stuff.

polamalufan43 09-18-2007 05:58 PM

Joey Joey Joey :banging:

Well, if the gas in the tank is almost on empty, I'm glad we traded him when we did.
Still like him as a though, that whole Steeler attachment thing I guess.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

HometownGal 09-18-2007 06:27 PM

No matter who they were/are - if they ever wore black and gold, I wish them nothing but the best when they leave da Burgh. Peezy was one of my heroes when he was here, but now he is da enemy!