Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dolphins Looking to Trade Jason Taylor? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19835)

CantStop85 09-18-2007 11:14 PM

Dolphins Looking to Trade Jason Taylor?

Quote:

The NFL's Best Defender on the Block?
The NFL trade deadline is Oct. 16 and that fact is important now only because the Dolphins should use the next four weeks to do the difficult thing and trade Jason Taylor. The Dolphins obviously can't give away Taylor as if he was a discarded suit in an outlet store. So anything less than a first-round pick wouldn't make it worthwhile for Miami. It's a steep price but perhaps the Broncos, Colts, Seahawks, Cowboys, or even the Patriots, could be enticed into giving up such a pick for the 2006 NFL Defensive Player of the Year.
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/21715

Livinginthe past 09-18-2007 11:29 PM

Re: Dolphins Looking to Trade Jason Taylor?

How would these teams find the room to sign him and then get under the salary cap?

You look at the transactions the Dolphins have made (inluding the draft) and they appear to be collecting talent for 'one final push' rather than re-building.

- Signed an Ageing Joey Porter with diminshing output to a fat contract
- Used their 2007 1st round pick on an injured punt returner
- Signed an old, over the hill, QB with the intention of releasing another old, over-the-hill QB.

Letting JT go would be a criminally bad piece of business for Miami - their D is the only thing stopping them dropping repeated 4-12 seasons.

How often are superstars traded at this point in the season when teams have their salary cap (barring emergencies) fully allocated?

Not often would be my guess.

tony hipchest 09-18-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livinginthe past (Post 296614)
How would these teams find the room to sign him and then get under the salary cap?

"where theres a will, (and a cheater) theres a way".

perhaps a small, insignificant advantage, but an advantage nevertheless.

im thinking taylor will stay put. hes on the verge of retirement as it is (although that may be enough incentive and take a paycut to try and bandwaggon on somebody elses victory parade tour.)

OneForTheToe 09-19-2007 12:19 AM

I would think if the Pats still had two first round picks that could be of interest to them. Belecheat is pretty good at finding use for players. Taylor might still be a good third down pass rusher. I'm glad the Steelers won't even give it a thought, though.

Livinginthe past 09-19-2007 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneForTheToe (Post 296622)
I would think if the Pats still had two first round picks that could be of interest to them. Belecheat is pretty good at finding use for players. Taylor might still be a good third down pass rusher. I'm glad the Steelers won't even give it a thought, though.

JT is way too good of a player just to play as a 3rd down situation pass rusher - this guy would make an impact on just about any team in the country.

As far as the Patriots go, he wouldn't be enough of an upgrade over our existing OLB's to warrant such a high trade price.

ChronoCross 09-19-2007 04:19 AM

Porter is not as good as Taylor.. That is a mistake on there part to trade him off and bring in another older LBer in Porter..

revefsreleets 09-19-2007 07:57 AM

As far as the Steelers go, Taylor would not be a good fit at DE in our 3-4 scheme, as 260 is way undersized. He would have to either gain at least 20 lbs, or play OLB. But we're not trading for him anyway, so this is all just idle speculation.

ShutDown24 09-19-2007 08:47 AM

WTF? Bring in a worse player in Porter to pass rush behind Taylor or opposite of him (That was the whole idea) and now trade Taylor? Just goes to show you where Miami has been going since Saban joined/left the party...

jjpro11 09-19-2007 03:53 PM

id take him for a very large hometown discount if he really wants to go after a ring.

RoethlisBURGHer 09-19-2007 09:37 PM

I doubt they do it.

Fan Nation has become nothing but a bunch of rumor mongering. If they try and trade him, he'll just retire. I think he's set to live in Miami for the rest of his life.