Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sepulveda fake punt coming soon? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19902)

tony hipchest 09-21-2007 12:31 PM

Sepulveda fake punt coming soon?

http://news.steelers.com/article/81845/

from tomlins weekly steelers digest interview:

Quote:

Q. Also in that category would be fake punts, onside kicks?

A. Absolutely. We had a fake punt ready to go vs. Cleveland based on field position and the distance that we needed. That situation presented itself in the game, but because we were up by 17 points – the circumstances of the game – we decided to punt the ball.

Q. When you’re making those kinds of decisions, then, it’s not only whether you believe the play can work or not?

A. First and foremost is the flow of the game and what’s going on at that point in the football game. Whether or not it’s there schematically and whether we’re capable of doing it are factors, but you have to keep an eye to what’s happening with regard to the flow of the football game.

with his size, speed, and hitting ability, this is a no brainer. kinda suprised it was in the works for the 1st game though. i think they convert the 1st time they try it.

has anyone noticed if the browns or bills were keeping a spy back there on punts?

dhosmer 09-21-2007 01:32 PM

Re: Sepulveda fake punt coming soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 297473)
http://news.steelers.com/article/81845/

has anyone noticed if the browns or bills were keeping a spy back there on punts?

bill's 5th string cb, jason bourne

ShutDown24 09-21-2007 01:49 PM

I think in desperate situations we should use it...

1. Sepulveda is such a beast at punter; I don't want him getting hurt.

2. If we do it when it isn't necessary teams will start paying attention to it even more than they already should be.

So I say, save it for when the time is right. Don't just do it to show that you can.

BurghZ0n3 09-21-2007 01:59 PM

:dang: Thank God, ...we don't have one like Josh Miller anymore!

Jman 09-21-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDown24 (Post 297489)
I think in desperate situations we should use it...

1. Sepulveda is such a beast at punter; I don't want him getting hurt.

You should talk to Ed from PG. :dang:

ShutDown24 09-21-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman (Post 297496)
You should talk to Ed from PG. :dang:

Seriously. Look at the free agent punters out there. If Sepulveda would go down in a situation where we absolutely didn't need the conversation our punting game is back to or worse than it was last season. I normally don't go the way of preserving players (Sitting starters once you have clinched and so on) but this is one of the very rare cases where I think we should be careful with the guy.

ShutDown24 09-21-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloydfan4life (Post 297506)
I agree with Tony. I think we convert on our first attempt. I also think that D.S. is going to put someone on their backside before he is tackled. He's a pretty big/solid boy.

Yeah, that is why I feel we should wait on it. Because the first attempt in my mind has the best chance at success. Save it for the playoffs! :tt02:

Galax Steeler 09-22-2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDown24 (Post 297511)
Yeah, that is why I feel we should wait on it. Because the first attempt in my mind has the best chance at success. Save it for the playoffs! :tt02:

Agreed I would like to see it if necesary I think it would be great but save it when needed.

Preacher 09-22-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutDown24 (Post 297511)

The problem with saving it for the playoffs, is that the other part of fake punts is not hten utilized. If a team always fakes punts, then you need to pull another player up towards the line, which means you don't have him to block down by the returner.

So I say attempt a couple fake punts a game if necessary, in the right time and places, to open up downfield for our shooters to get to the returner.

Atlanta Dan 09-22-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preacher (Post 297740)
So I say attempt a couple fake punts a game if necessary, in the right time and places, to open up downfield for our shooters to get to the returner.

Attempt a couple fake punts a game? Has anyone ever seen more than one fake punt in a single game?

I assume the argument is they definitely will not be looking for it the second time, but IMO the only beneficiary of that strategy will be Gardocki after we need to call him back once Sepulveda is knocked out