Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Entire backfield ready.. Parker gets the nod (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2010)

BlitzburghRockCity 10-03-2005 11:21 PM

Entire backfield ready.. Parker gets the nod

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05277/582243.stm

he Steelers should have their full backfield healthy and ready to play Monday night in San Diego. How their halfbacks are used is up to coach Bill Cowher.

Jerome Bettis practiced again yesterday after going through their only full practice last week. He said he's healthy after being out since he left early in the third preseason game with a pulled calf muscle. Duce Staley dressed for his first game against the Patriots but did not have a carry.

The only thing Cowher has said is that Willie Parker will start at halfback for the fourth consecutive time.

"It doesn't get complicated for me," Bettis said. "Either you play or you don't play. It's not as hard as it's made out to be. He has to make a decision. I don't think anybody's going to be upset, no matter which way it goes."

Bettis has never gone this long in a season without playing or carrying the ball, but he says it's more important for him and Staley to be healthy than to play at this point.

"It's a long season. The fear is not having the guys when you really need them. To know that we're here is the best thing. To be here and not use you, that's OK. But to not be here when you need them, I think that's the problem."

Koopa 10-03-2005 11:35 PM

Re: Entire backfield ready.. Parker gets the nod

i hope willie can come out running and rack up some yards cause last week he didn't do to great. this will be a good test to see if willie is for real or if he was just a few game wonder. i'm thinkin he's the real deal but you never know

Prosdo 10-04-2005 03:14 AM

This should get really interesting with this backfield. I would love to see Willie have a great game and see Bettis in there as well.

bengalsfan21 10-04-2005 05:30 AM

Well I need Willie to do good, he is on my FF squad..........Go FWP

sisitki 10-04-2005 07:13 AM

I just hope we don't bail on Willie too quickly. There were no holes last week. Staley wouldn't have done any better. I haven't looked at the stats this year but I know the Chargers were one of the best run D's last year. It's going to be tough running again. The O line better step up.

CowherLover 10-04-2005 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sisitki
I just hope we don't bail on Willie too quickly. There were no holes last week. Staley wouldn't have done any better. I haven't looked at the stats this year but I know the Chargers were one of the best run D's last year. It's going to be tough running again. The O line better step up.

Yep Yep. I think if Willie is having a hard time following the tackles through or if he can't break it on the outside, we're gonna see the big guys come in to bust it loose. Willie is a capable back, IMO, but if our line isn't going to open the holes then I expect to see Duce get a share of the load. I'm geekin' to see the Bus on the field, a Monday nighter is the perfect time to get him going!

ironcitychef 10-04-2005 10:31 AM

The key will be using all three to keep picking up 1st downs. The start of limiting SD offense is to keep them off the field.

SteelR1 10-04-2005 03:34 PM

I'm glad they are sticking with Wilie!!! Duce and the bus should be able to back him up after he runs for 40 yards at a time just so he can get some gatorade in him!!!!!!!!

LETS GO STEELERS!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity 10-04-2005 06:37 PM

Yep I would imagine if the running game struggles, and Duce comes in to spell Willie and starts making things happen, they'll stick w/ him. Same goes w/ Jerome if thats the case. I agree we cant bail on Parker too quickly if he struggles alittle bit..but having 3 healthy backs if awesome!! Its about time!!

BB2W 10-05-2005 06:37 PM

I like to see Cowher giving Parker the nod over the more experienced veterans... coupled with Ike Taylor starting this is a little out of character for Bill.