Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Would Cowher go to buffalo? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20132)

Big D 09-28-2007 10:19 AM

Would Cowher go to buffalo?

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...45/1007/SPORTS

September 27, 2007) ? If Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson genuinely hopes to see his team win a Super Bowl, he should aggressively pursue Bill Cowher as coach and whatever other titles the former Pittsburgh Steelers coach might demand.

Why should the Cowher Sweepstakes include the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants but exclude the Bills?

Winless and battered, Buffalo appears well on its way to an eighth straight season without making the playoffs. That's difficult to do in this age of parity. The only other NFL teams without a trip to the postseason in the past six seasons are Arizona and Detroit. The 6-year-old Houston Texans haven't been around long enough to join the futility list, but even they appear closer to making the playoffs than Buffalo.

Assuming Cowher wants to return to the NFL next year after sitting out the 2007 season and driving up his price, why shouldn't Wilson be in the bidding for his services? The best available football people aren't cheap. If you really care about upgrading your team, you pursue them and land them. Cowher has a career record of 161-99-1, including 12 playoff victories.

Just because Tom Donahoe was a bust doesn't mean Cowher would be.

The Bills figure to sell out every home game this season. But if this year's team wins only two or three games, there probably will be plenty of empty seats in 2008 unless some major moves upgrade the product on the field.

It is obvious to high-profile Bills observers "Coach" Chuck Dickerson and Fred Smerlas that Cowher could turn around this long-struggling franchise. I agree with them, and many of you probably do, too.

But the only one who counts is Ralph Wilson.

I can't think of a move that would lift the spirits and hopes of Bills fans more than Cowher taking over to bring a struggling franchise back to respectability.

The Bills lead the NFL in something positive, but there is a catch. The good news is that Buffalo is averaging 44 yards per punt return ? by far the best in the league. The bad news is that opponents have had to punt only three times. One was a fair catch and one was returned 74 yards for a TD by Roscoe Parrish. ... Buffalo's opponents have finished in Bills territory on 25 of 30 possessions this season and scored a TD or field goal 16 times. ... The Bills surprisingly are not 32nd in this week's ESPN NFL Power Rankings. They're 29th, ahead of St. Louis, Miami and Atlanta. ... The Bills do have the "top" spot in the Los Angeles Times NFL "Bottom 10."

Getting lots of penalties often is a sign of a lousy football team, but the Dallas Cowboys are 3-0 despite an NFL-most 30 penalties for 256 yards. ... The NFL's least penalized team is the New York Jets. They've been flagged only nine times for 56 yards. If form holds, the Bills won't get much help from the zebras Sunday when they host the Jets. ... Two reasons New Orleans is 0-3: An NFL-worst turnover differential of minus-8 and zero sacks. ... Sobering thought for fans of Green Bay: The Packers are 3-0 despite ranking last in the NFL with 57.0 yards rushing per game. A weak running attack hasn't hurt because QB Brett Favre has been throwing well. But it could be a big problem when the weather turns and if Favre cools off

Big D 09-28-2007 10:22 AM

Re: Would Cowher go to buffalo?

this article throws three teams as possible suitors for cowher. Giants, Browns and Bills. I kinda wanted to break this down. I could see the giants giving Cowher 8-10 million. I just dont think Cowher could handle the pressure from the new york media as well as the new york fans. I think he would flop with the giants in a hurry. The bills are easy to shoot down. No way would Wilson pony up that kinda cash. Which leaves the usual suspect the cleveland browns. I hope Cowher as an honorable man would not go to cleveland to coach one of our biggest rivals. But I could see the browns giving Cowher full control and a blank check. I guess only time will tell

Atlanta Dan 09-28-2007 12:09 PM

Cowher goes to Buffalo when pigs fly and he arrives there via such air transportation.

Wilson would never meet Cowher's price.

Atlanta Dan 09-28-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 300491)
this article throws three teams as possible suitors for cowher. Giants, Browns and Bills

Dallas is playing surprisingly well so that appears to rule them out. I still think Washington is a possibility along with the Giants.

Cowher treating the New York media like he treated the Pittsburgh coverage would lead to an exchange of gunfire by midseason.

Haiku_Dirtt 09-28-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 300529)
Dallas is playing surprisingly well so that appears to rule them out. I still think Washington is a possibility along with the Giants.

Cowher treating the New York media like he treated the Pittsburgh coverage would lead to an exchange of gunfire by midseason.

If Carolina doesn't go deep - and I mean deep - into the playoffs you don't think that John Fox is toast. And if they kick Fox to the curb the Panthers are a team with little baggage...and a solid roster. How many more chances can they give Fox?

Playing oddsmaker. Washington makes complete sense but following Gibbs in D.C. won't be easy. He's a demigod there. The Giants have more baggage problems than airlines. If Tomlin's success continues then the Cleveland gig might be an uphill battle with Mt. St. Helens proportions.

I'm throwing Carolina out there as a solid 'long shot.'

Big D 09-28-2007 01:12 PM

I dont consider Carolina a long shot at all. I think it makes perfect sense for both Cowher and the panthers.

MasterOfPuppets 09-28-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt (Post 300577)
I
Playing oddsmaker. Washington makes complete sense but following Gibbs in D.C. won't be easy. He's a demigod there.
'

WAS......a demigod there. reality has set in.remember this is a what have you done lately league. the skin fans, at least the morons i'm surrounded by ,are at thiers wits end with gibbs.

Haiku_Dirtt 09-28-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D (Post 300581)
I dont consider Carolina a long shot at all. I think it makes perfect sense for both Cowher and the panthers.

I guess I don't either. I actually think he's a lock if the Panthers aren't in the Super Bowl.

Big D 09-28-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt (Post 300584)
I guess I don't either. I actually think he's a lock if the Panthers aren't in the Super Bowl.

I agree. And the first thing could would do is get rid of that scrub delhomme. The panthers are a superbowl contending team but an underacheving coaching staff holds them back

Liz 09-28-2007 02:27 PM

You really think Cowher would go to another team? I mean geez. everyone knew that he would get bored after a year or two with no coaching job, so why did he quit in the first place? Has it been his intention for a while you think to start with another team?