Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   NY Times - Short Leash On Starting QBs (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20174)

Atlanta Dan 09-29-2007 11:09 PM

NY Times - Short Leash On Starting QBs

Interesting NY Times story on how many starting QBs have been dumped 3 weeks into the season which ties QB roulette to most head coaches knowing it is a win now or get fired attitude by most owners.

Failure, injury and the occasional federal indictment (:sofunny:)have combined in the first month of the N.F.L. season to reshape the quarterback landscape with breathtaking swiftness, creating a turbulent tableau for nearly half of the 32 teams. For the most scrutinized position in sports, the leash has never been shorter, the hook never quicker. The old saw in the league is that the backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town. Now, we are seeing more of them than ever.

And this may be the first time in a story on QBs where Ben has been placed as being in a similar position with Brady & Manning (calm down LITP, I am just quoting here:smile:)

?Jacksonville and Cleveland are the most bizarre,? said Paul Hackett, the Tampa Bay quarterbacks coach. ?You kind of go, ?Wow!? ? ...?There may be 10 untouchables,? Hackett said, singling out Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger. ?The trend is, ?What can you do for me right now?? ...

The former Giants quarterback Phil Simms blames coaches? indecision, in part, for the turnover and the pressure from the news media, fans and owners to win quickly, which inevitably filters down to the most important player.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/sp...tml?ref=sports

Elvis 09-30-2007 05:18 AM

Re: NY Times - Short Leash On Starting QBs

Well Dan.. this is a pretty good article. And it is very much true about only a handful of QB's are safe in their position. I dont know if Ben would have been safe if he hadnt come out and impressed like he has. With being that we have a new coach and all, I think that Tomlin wouldnt have been so easy to push over. Ben has looked like his ole' self so far, but there is times when he makes bad decisions. In that 1st game against the Browns, he could have had 1 or 2 ints if the Browns would have made the plays. I just love way that Tomlin and Arians are working with Ben to help with the gameplans.
:tt02:

Livinginthe past 09-30-2007 08:56 AM

Re: NY Times - Short Leash On Starting QBs

My list of 'safe' QB's - guys who will be starter right through to a potential Superbowl barring injury - are:

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
John Kitna
Carson Palmer
Brett Favre
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Donovan McNabb
Jay Cutler
Matt Hasselbeck
Matt Schaub
Phillip Rivers
Marc Bulger
Ben Roethlisberger
Vince Young
Alex Smith
Chad Pennington
J.P. Losman

By my count thats alot more than 10 QB's who are guaranteed to start barring injury - though, its my own list - would anyone disagree with any of those names?

Even though some of those guys aren't challenging for MVP, there either isn't a viable back-up on the roster or they've committed their immediate future to the younger guy (who is probably a high roud draft pick).

I don't really agree with the general thrust of the article - that teams are getting less patient with their QB's - the point is, it is fan's patience that is paper thin...not the guys making the decisions.

Grossman had not just been out of form for 3 weeks - he was awful for the majority of last season - most fans and media outlets continually asking why Lovie Smith has so much faith in the guy - then as soon as he is dropped we get an article proclaiming him to be a victim of some kind of knee jerk coaching decision!!

Leftwich has a very public falling out with his coach - its hard to start a guy who has disrespected your coaching decisions in the past - thats just unworkable.

The nonsense about the McNabb 'whispers' regarding him being dropped are absolute nonsense - he remains one of the best QB's in the NFC, if not the NFL - moving him out and shipping untried rookie Kolb into the lineup would be career suicide for any GM/HC.

You can bet your last dollar that 3 or 4 games into the Kolb 'experience' that Donovan McNabb would suddenly be one of the most popular players on the roster with the fan base.

Fans are fickle - its the FO's job to see past that and make the right decisions; not make the decisions that pacify fans with the attention span of the average goldfish.