Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Maddox doubtful, batch is 2nd Qb now..Injury report included (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2046)

BlitzburghRockCity 10-08-2005 01:25 AM

Maddox doubtful, batch is 2nd Qb now..Injury report included

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05281/584898.stm

Saturday, October 08, 2005
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed, Post-Gazette
A calf injury will keep Tommy Maddox out of the game Monday vs. San Diego.
Click photo for larger image.

The Steelers will likely be without their top backup quarterback against the San Diego Chargers. And they might have a new backup running back, too.

Tommy Maddox's right calf was strained when he dropped back to pass in practice yesterday and had to be carted from the indoor practice field. He was listed as doubtful for the game Monday night in San Diego, elevating veteran Charlie Batch to the top position behind quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Maddox was not available for comment after practice.

"When it happened, he stayed in the next play," Batch said. "After that he went off to the side. But I'm still preparing the same way. You have to be ready for everything."

That might not be the only change on the depth chart.

Running back Jerome Bettis, who hasn't played since his calf was injured in the third preseason game against the Washington Redskins, will play against the Chargers and probably be the No. 2 back behind Willie Parker.

That means Duce Staley, who missed the entire preseason and the first two games of the regular season, could be deactivated against the Chargers.

Staley dressed for the Sept. 25 game against New England, but he appeared for only three plays and did not touch the ball. He hasn't had a carry since the AFC championship game and the Steelers are concerned about his lack of activity.

Injury report

Right tackle Max Starks' ankle was injured in practice and he was added to the team's injury report. He was listed as probable and should play against the Chargers.

Wide receiver Hines Ward, who aggravated a hamstring injury in practice Wednesday, returned to practice. He remains questionable on the injury report.

Linebacker Joey Porter (knee), who was upgraded to probable, has practiced every day and will play in San Diego.

Koopa 10-08-2005 01:44 AM

Re: Maddox doubtful, batch is 2nd Qb now..Injury report included

well i sure hope ward can go monday and hopefully nothing happens to ben so we won't have to worry about who is number 2 qb

Suitanim 10-08-2005 06:21 AM

Maddox must've dropped his clipboard on his calf pretty hard!

bigbensgirl7 10-08-2005 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suitanim
Maddox must've dropped his clipboard on his calf pretty hard!

:rofl: that's great!!!

Ambridge 10-08-2005 09:51 AM

Ben needs to stay away from taking the big hit and with Hines being injured maybe the Steelers will finally get Heath Miller more involved.

pitt 10-08-2005 10:17 AM

I like Tommy. Hope he heals soon. I'm excited about Jerome coming back.

Prosdo 10-08-2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambridge
Ben needs to stay away from taking the big hit and with Hines being injured maybe the Steelers will finally get Heath Miller more involved.

I hope you're right. I would love to see Miller get more involved in the passing game.

slashsteel 10-08-2005 05:55 PM

Yes then some Steeler fans hopefully would stop with the
Tackle
Eligible joke. ;)

Go Heath, it's Miller time baby!