Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Coming off the bye, what do you change?? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20486)

Welcome To Smashmouth 10-10-2007 05:08 PM

Coming off the bye, what do you change??

Obviously, at 4-1, you don't want to go into week 6 with a whole new recipe for success when its been there so blatantly. BUT, if you were standing in the coach's shoes, what would you like to see more of/less/changed coming off the bye week??

Personally, I've LOVED the play of our D, but would like to see #94 and #56 get a little more reps in. The defense has played lights-out so obviously a cry for new starters is far from neccessary. Lebeau has dont a GREAT job with the safety rotation in my eyes (as I was a little dissapointed Smith didn't win the FS battle). We've got more 3-safety sets I've EVER seen us run, and its working to perfection. If we can get Woodley and Timmons in for Haggans/etc a little more often I do believe we can find a beautiful rotation of players as our quality finds its way onto the field a-many times a game.

How bout you guys?? Agree? Disagree? Have other changes you'd like to see??

Black@Gold Forever32 10-10-2007 05:18 PM

Re: Coming off the bye, what do you change??

Well right now at the bye there isn't much I would like to see change....My only real concerns are the offensive line and the WR depth....But the Oline played better against the Seahawks and both Wilson and Washington had better games....I'm still not sold but those are areas of some concern...If the right side of the Oline continues to struggle there is Chris Kemoeatu and Max Starks that could take over for both Simmons and Colon.....I dread the fact of Starks back in the lineup but I havn't been impressed with Colon at all this year....

I hope both Washington and Wilson build off their strong play against the Seahawks....If not no depth at WR could really become a problem for the Steelers.....I actually wouldn't mind seeing more of Willie Reid at WR.....Just a thought....

I think one area that needs some change in the punt return unit....I know Rossum has done fine as a kickoff returner but he still hasn't brought nothing to the table as a punt returner....Plus Willie Reid looked very bad in the pre-season on punt returns.....I don't know if its just the return men though...It could be the blocking on the punt returns as well....So that could maybe use some change.....

I wouldn't mess with the defense right now....They're playing great but at the sametime I wouldn't mind seeing both Woodley and Timmons get more playing time as well....So hopefully they continue to grow and just add to the defense.....

The Duke 10-10-2007 05:35 PM

when the seahawks gave up on sunday and put seneca wallace in the game would have been a good time to put in timmons and woodley, we were already gonna win that game so would be nice to see the vets rest a little more on those moments and see what we have in the rooks.

Lord Stiller 10-10-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke (Post 306963)
when the seahawks gave up on sunday and put seneca wallace in the game would have been a good time to put in timmons and woodley, we were already gonna win that game so would be nice to see the vets rest a little more on those moments and see what we have in the rooks.

That's a great idea

BozMan 10-10-2007 06:05 PM

I'd like to see red zone touchdown percentage improve a little bit.

We should try to get Willie Reid involved more in the offense. The guy looks dangerous with the ball in his hands. Maybe try some reverses or screen passes to him.

Dino's suggestion here about using Batch as a holder for FGs and PATs is a good idea. That would allow us to setup at some point a fake field goal -> touchdown or fake extra point -> 2-point conversion.

That's another thing I'd like to see at some point this season - more points and big plays on special teams. We've already had a KR for a TD. Besides a punt return for a TD, how about a successful on-sides kick, successful fake punt, successful fake field goal for first down or touchdown, etc. I hope with all the emphasis on special teams this preseason that these types of plays got some attention.

slippy 10-10-2007 06:19 PM

hobgoblin holmgren is such a wuss! giving up on a game by pulling the qb in the middle of the fourth quarter is shocking to me. what a message to send to your team! and who can forget all those 50+ field goal atempts in SBXL.

to the point:
i like the D rotation so far, and more tight end action in the red zone is a no brainer. i always thought heath miller was our best third receiver option.

kreider needs more playing time, davis is still very lost and raw. he can get some reps in mop up time.

punt returns suck, but at least they hang onto the ball.

O-line could use some work on pass protection. bettis is really missed in blitz pick-up.

RoethlisBURGHer 10-10-2007 06:43 PM

I would like to see Kreider in blocking for Parker more. I gaurantee if they put Kreider in more often Willie would be breaking some of those huge runs.

verks36 10-10-2007 06:53 PM

Work on the 2 minute drill,
Work on RB blitz pickup i think someone already said that

BozMan 10-10-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slippy
more tight end action in the red zone is a no brainer. i always thought heath miller was our best third receiver option

Good point. Miller's talent is not utilized nearly enough.

Atlanta Dan 10-10-2007 08:07 PM

Compared to last year this time there certainly is less to complain about

Having seen Rossum's punt returns in ATL the last several years, he is not going to suddenly bust out after the bye - Tomlin does not trust Reid but at some point the status quo will not work - would have liked to see Reid return punts in the 4th Q after the Hawks game broke open last Sunday.

Also would like to see some of the no huddle and I do not think Parker will hold up through January with 375 carries - hope Davenport keeps getting more touches

Believe we see start seeing something a little different starting in Denver