Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Waaaa you can't do that (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20496)

I-Want-Troy's-Hair 10-10-2007 10:21 PM

Waaaa you can't do that

Are you kidding me. What is up with Wade Phillips and all the crying. That is why they call it icing and believe it or not Wade it does work just ask Vanderjerkoff.

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/262863.html

Phillips calls NFL office

Wade Phillips said he called the league office Tuesday to complain and said he wants the NFL to change the rule that allows coaches to call timeouts just before a field-goal attempt.

Buffalo coach Dick Jauron tried to rattle Cowboys rookie Nick Folk by calling timeout just before Folk kicked a 53-yarder.

Folk then drilled a second kick for the game-winner as time expired.

"It's unfair to the kicker to have to kick it twice, no matter what happens," Phillips said. "I think you should be able to call timeout, but it should have to get to the umpire or the referee so they can stop the play."

However, Phillips said he would use it to his advantage if the situation happens again.

Steeler in Carolina 10-10-2007 10:30 PM

Re: Waaaa you can't do that

It could also backfire. If the coach calls timeout and the kicker misses, they have given him another chance.

Mewtwo 10-10-2007 11:17 PM

I think that if you call a time out within a couple seconds of the ball being snapped, and they actually end up running the play (the kick gets in the air) before players stop and realize timeout was called, the kicking team either gets to do one of two things:

*Take the result of the kick (if good)
*Take 15 yards and an automatic first down -- icing a kicker like that should be considered unsportsmanlike.

tony hipchest 10-10-2007 11:23 PM

a time out can be called anytime, when the ball is not in play, in between the whistles.

it is what it is and shouldnt be changed for any single player.

plus, alot of atheletes would gladly take a practice put, swing, kick, or shot right before it counted.

Borski 10-10-2007 11:35 PM

I agree with TH, Its the teams Timeout, they can use it when ever they want. as long as the ball hasnt been snapped yet (even down to a fraction of a second of being snapped) it should be legal. It hardly ever works, and it backfire sometimes to. If a coach has a TO left and wants to take the risk of it backfiring, by all means, let him use it

Counselor 10-11-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 307046)
a time out can be called anytime, when the ball is not in play, in between the whistles.

it is what it is and shouldnt be changed for any single player.

plus, alot of atheletes would gladly take a practice put, swing, kick, or shot right before it counted.

Agreed, I see no issue with this---sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Its like icing a foul shooter in basketball.

Look, kickers are making longer and longer field goals all the time, give me a break that we should "protect the kicker" from having to kick twice----its his JOB!. The defense should be allowed some strategy.

this seems like such a dumb controversy to me.

lamberts-lost-tooth 10-11-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina (Post 307033)
It could also backfire. If the coach calls timeout and the kicker misses, they have given him another chance.

Exactly...that crap will stop cold...after the first couple of times the kicker misses the initial try...and then makes the freebee granted by the opposing coach!!!!

revefsreleets 10-11-2007 10:21 AM

For what it's worth, the entire Raider fanbase (I refuse to call them the Raider Nation since they stole it from us) was screaming bloody murder after Shanahan did the same thing to them.

Godfather 10-11-2007 10:17 PM

I think it's a lot better than just icing the kicker. Making him kick again is great psyops.

Didn't Cowher invent that tactic in the 2002 playoffs?

fansince'76 10-11-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 307312)
I think it's a lot better than just icing the kicker. Making him kick again is great psyops.

Didn't Cowher invent that tactic in the 2002 playoffs?

No, the credit for that has to go to the "illustrious" DeWayne Washington. :dang: