Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top 10 NFL QB's All-Time? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20519)

GBMelBlount 10-11-2007 07:36 PM

Top 10 NFL QB's All-Time?

It's half time of the nationally televised game between Trinity and Thomas Jefferson. They did a special on great professional players from with Western PA roots. They highlighted the amazing number of great QB's. So I googled the Top Ten pro QB's of all time and between 3-6 (depending on website) had Western PA roots, whether it is high school, college or pro. A few mentioned were Marino, Bradshaw & Montana, . Any thoughts?

Kittyfish 10-12-2007 10:23 AM

Re: Top 10 NFL QB's All-Time?

Don't forget Jim Kelly (who grew up just a few miles from my small town) and Johnny Unitas. I know there are a couple of others. Joe Namath was from PA too, but I'm not sure if he came from the Western half.

ETA - I was only commenting on quarterbacks who had Western PA roots. I sure don't know enough about football to try and compile a top 10 list of my own, though I am very interested to see other's lists and opinions. Who knows - I might learn something!

RoethlisBURGHer 10-12-2007 10:33 AM

My Top 10:

1. Joe Montana
2. Terry Bradshaw
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Otto Graham
5. Dan Marino
6. Roger Staubach
7. Tom Brady
8. Jim Kelly
9. Troy Aikman
10. Steve Young

I don't personally feel that Namath is a Top 10 QB. Top 10 Jets QB's? Yes. Top 10 in NFL History? No. We probally wouldn't know who he was if he never made that gaurantee. And if he would have made it and lost, we'd probally only know because people would talk about how stupid he was for doing it.

Indy_Steelers 10-13-2007 06:27 AM

1-Joe Montana
2-Terry Bradshaw
3-Bart Starr
4-Troy Aikman
5-Roger Staubach
6-Brett Favre
7-Lynn Dawson
8-Bob Griese
9-Dan Marino
10-Peyton Manning

I would take Brett Favre over Steve Young

rog 10-13-2007 07:54 AM

These lists are hard when you do it "all time greatest" because the game has changed so much. Lists like this should be separated between presuper bowl and then the Super Bowl era. I won't give my whole list but #1 during the Super Bowl era is Montana and pre-Super Bowl would be Sammy Baugh (Ithink I spelled it right) Not only did he lead the league in passing and TDs but I heard he also lead the league in interceptions atleast one year.

Mosca 10-13-2007 08:29 AM

To me Namath is one of those "coulda been". But his knees took such a beating, and his hard living didn't help.

Still, he was a great NFLer, top 10 or not.

Tom

MasterOfPuppets 10-13-2007 02:14 PM

1 dan marino
2 john elway
3 joe montana
4 brett farve
5 jonny unitus
6 jim kelly
7 roger staubach
8 steve young
9 dan fouts
10 terry bradshaw

honerable mention
troy aikmen
len dawson
bernie kosar
ken anderson
fran tarkington
bob griese

top 5 upon retirement
peyton manning
tom brady

Dynasty 10-13-2007 05:27 PM

where do u get bernice kosar as an honorable mention... i'm too young to have ever seen him play, but i dont recall him being held in that high of regard among QBs

MasterOfPuppets 10-14-2007 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynasty (Post 307713)
where do u get bernice kosar as an honorable mention... i'm too young to have ever seen him play, but i dont recall him being held in that high of regard among QBs

i'm too young to have ever seen him play,
key words......if you never seen kosar play then you've never seen bradshaw,, griese,or staubach play. had none of them won superbowls then they wouldn't be "in high reguards " either. outside of todays NFL films there were quality players that don't get the attention that superbowl winners get.