Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bad year in NFL (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20641)

SteelDogFan 10-17-2007 09:32 PM

Bad year in NFL
 
I don't know if statistically the past few year was this bad but the play in the NFL seams to be on the decline this year. There are two divisions that the leader is at five hundred. The Pats have almost won their division and its only week 7. There is only 8 QB's with a passer rating of 100 or more. Last year the season ended with fifteen. I don't know maybe its me but is justs seams like the level of play has declined.

jjpro11 10-17-2007 11:47 PM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelDogFan (Post 309075)
I don't know if statistically the past few year was this bad but the play in the NFL seams to be on the decline this year. There are two divisions that the leader is at five hundred. The Pats have almost won their division and its only week 7. There is only 8 QB's with a passer rating of 100 or more. Last year the season ended with fifteen. I don't know maybe its me but is justs seams like the level of play has declined.

i think i agree as well. when i look at the schedule, it just seems like there are so many mediocre teams playing each other.

Indy_Steelers 10-18-2007 04:21 AM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
I agree. I hope we can take advantage of this. A win is still a win.

Edman 10-18-2007 07:06 AM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
It's really too bad the AFC Least is so horrible. New England is going to run away into the playoffs in only a matter of months.

fansince'76 10-18-2007 10:04 AM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
The quality of play in the NFL, IMO at least, has been trending downward for years now - it's not just a recent thing. I think the biggest culprits have been unfettered free agency and the salary cap.Teams can no longer stockpile talent like they could in the past. Think about it - do you think a QB tandem of Joe Montana/Steve Young could exist in the 21st century NFL? Not very likely.

Atlanta Dan 10-18-2007 10:11 AM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fansince'76 (Post 309163)
The quality of play in the NFL, IMO at least, has been trending downward for years now - it's not just a recent thing. I think the biggest culprits have been unfettered free agency and the salary cap.Teams can no longer stockpile talent like they could in the past. Think about it - do you think a QB tandem of Joe Montana/Steve Young could exist in the 21st century NFL? Not very likely.

But the instability gives every team hope - the drift to mediocrity is the downside - no cap means Redskins and Cowboys buy up the talent

In the 1970s it was a great era and great to be a Vikings, Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Oilers or Dolphins fan - for the rest of the league knowing you had no shot was probably not real entertaining

In some ways this season is like the 70s where a limited number of teams have broken from the pack

fansince'76 10-18-2007 10:14 AM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan (Post 309168)
But the instability gives every team hope - the drift to mediocrity is the downside - no cap means Redskins and Cowboys buy up the talent

In the 1970s it was a great era and great to be a Vikings, Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Oilers or Dolphins fan - for the rest of the league knowing you had no shot was probably not real entertaining

In some ways this season is like the 70s where a limited number of teams have broken from the pack

Great point and one that I neglected to mention - the "leveling of the playing field" across the board for all teams has been a benefit. Just about every team has a shot in any given year nowadays.

Mosca 10-18-2007 10:33 AM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
I think you are seeing the actual decline of some previously good teams (Cincy, Chi, NO), and not really believing in the resurgence of some doormats (Cleve, Ari, Det). But the wins and losses have to even out.

I like that every team starts the year with a real chance... a real chance to be great OR awful. case in point: Bungles, Bears, Saints, '06 Steelers. Remember that people were all over the Pats last year, wondering if they were starting the downslide; but, here we are.

The '99 Falcons went from 7-9 to 15-1; recently the Cowboys went from 5-11 to 10-6 to 6-10.

That's the beauty of it. There's no resting on talent; you have to bring it every game, every snap. I just heard it said within the last week that the difference in talent from top to bottom is less than 10%; I believe that. The difference is coaching, training, and desire. And that is why tradition plays such a strong part in the Steelers' success; it gives continuity in those areas. Even when our talent is off that 10% (Kordell, Tommy Gunn), we still win most seasons.

It's coming around; Jacksonville is quietly winning, Baltimore seems to have found their feet, the Giants are playing mistake-free football. Tampa's allowed only 87 points, Washington 69, Tennessee 72. There are some teams that are 3-2 and 2-3 now who know that 1/3 of the season isn't over yet. SD is already back to 3-3.

Like Coach Tomlin says, We have to keep getting better, because everyone else is going to get better. Just because a team stumbles early doesn't mean they suck; look at the '05 Steelers for proof.

Edman 10-18-2007 12:00 PM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
We're approaching that stretch of the season where teams that are still in it start jockeying for playoff position. Right now, the Steelers are in a great position. They just have to stay focused and keep winning. Besides the Broncs game, they have three critical divisional matchups after that. If they can get out that stretch no worse than 2-1, they'll be in even better shape.

Just gotta take care of business. It's business time. Tomlin is hungry and wants to win to set his own legacy in Pittsburgh. I'm sure he won't let the players rest on their laurels because of a hot 4-1 start.

SteelDogFan 10-19-2007 10:32 AM

Re: Bad year in NFL
 
Good points all and I agree with both points on the free agency issue. I believe the list of QBs with a passer rating of 100 or more is the result of bad play. Last yer when the season ended there was 15 QBs over 100 QB rating as of week six there are only eight. Thats just bad i think.

Now I will say the defenses are catching up to the offenses and maybe its just that we need a new crop of talent to enter the league at that position. I dont know. I just know you used to be able to see a good QB match-up every once in a while. Now all you here is there a good manager of the game. even the Romo, Brady battle was one sided.

I hope the Steelers win but I would like to see a good football game from both teams not a lopsided one because Jay Cultler through 3 interceptions. I was exstatic when the Steelers won the Superbowl and I also DVDed the game. When I watched it the second time I came to the conclusion that was one of the ugliest football games (not superbowl but football games I have ever seen).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum