Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What exactly was Casey Hampton doing? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20742)

revefsreleets 10-22-2007 11:45 AM

What exactly was Casey Hampton doing?

I haven't seen anything posted about this anywhere, and it disturbs me deeply. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the game, but there were at least two plays by Hampton that defy logic. Can someone help me understand?

On two seperate occasions, I saw Casey Hampton line-up over center, then, as the ball was snapped, simply stand up and not move at all. The first time I saw this, I thought perhaps this was some kind of zone-blitz play where he occupies the short middle zone, but the rest of the play developing around him didn't seem to support that. Inexpicably, he did the same thing again a few plays later, and it was glaringly obvious because Cutler scrambled right past him and just made him look silly.

Does anyone have any kind of reasonable explanation as to why the NT in a 3-4 would not only NOT be occupying blockers, but just stand up in the middle of the field and do nothing?

Lord Stiller 10-22-2007 11:52 AM

Re: What exactly was Casey Hampton doing?

Im not sure what you are talking about.

how about on the goaline D. Did you notice CAsey busting through the line every time. That penetration stuffed all of their runs

Hampton played a good game

Godfather 10-22-2007 11:53 AM

Possibly playing a read and react role similar to what MLBs do sometimes? That could be the idea--even if he didn't execute well on the Cutler play.

revefsreleets 10-22-2007 11:55 AM

I can't believe I'm the only one who saw this. There were two plays where he stood up and just stood there in the middle of the field. I know everyone watching the game with me saw it, and none of us had any idea what was going on.

lamberts-lost-tooth 10-22-2007 11:57 AM

I had a bigger problem with Marvel Smith staring at the fumble like an alien had just crapped on the field..instead of falling on it.

revefsreleets 10-22-2007 11:59 AM

And I'm not necessarily criticizing Hampton. I'm just trying to figure this out.

moedap 10-22-2007 12:06 PM

Hampton was playing QB spy on that Cutler scramble. He was suppose to be shadowing Cutler but due to him being short and the O line being stood up Hampton couldnt see where Cutler was before it was too late Cutler was 6 yards to the right of Casey and proceeded to run up the field. Casey is a 300 LB nosetackle that just came off of the DL with hamstring problems. He was going to lose that footrace.

revefsreleets 10-22-2007 12:10 PM

I'll buy that, but I have to question the personel move here. Hopefully LeBeau learns from the mistake and doesn't repeat it. There are 3 guys on the defense who's job is occupy multiple blockers, and it seems like taking one of them almost completely out of the play is very counterproductive, especially against zone blocking. And if this was Kent Graham he was spying the match-up would be better, but Cutler can move a little.

moedap 10-22-2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 311353)
I'll buy that, but I have to question the personel move here. Hopefully LeBeau learns from the mistake and doesn't repeat it. There are 3 guys on the defense who's job is occupy multiple blockers, and it seems like taking one of them almost completely out of the play is very counterproductive, especially against zone blocking. And if this was Kent Graham he was spying the match-up would be better, but Cutler can move a little.

If I am not mistaken that was a 3rd and long play. And the LB's had all dropped back into coverage to stop Denver from gauging the middle of the field. I think it was a good play call just a blown assignment on Hamptons part.

nicesteel4life 10-22-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth (Post 311336)
I had a bigger problem with Marvel Smith staring at the fumble like an alien had just crapped on the field..instead of falling on it.

Well actually on that play if you would of looked at the replay, he was cut blocked from behind and very lucky he wasent hurt. Sorta hard to move when a guy just hit you in the back of your shins.