Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Reasons to be optimistic about C. Batch (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2076)

tony hipchest 10-11-2005 09:40 AM

Reasons to be optimistic about C. Batch

first of all ben is not replaceable, and their may only be about 5 STARTERS in the nfl that could replace what he brings to the table, let alone 2nd and 3rd stringers. but there are plenty of reasons steelers can succeed with batch or maddox.

the steelers went through this last year. rallying behind a back up qb is not unfamiliar to them.

batch has been on the team for a while and is trully a team mate. the players, and more importantly, coaches know, like , and respect him and im sure they will lay it on the line for him.

t. maddox started the final game against the bills last year and didnt play real well. however the defense and running game stepped up big for what was a huge win securing a 15-1 record.

batch will probably look like ben did as a rookie, making early mistakes and possibly throw some untimely interceptions but just as the other players picked up the slack for ben as he improved they will do the same for batch.

not to much game film on batch for the opposing defenses to study.

batch is still young for a veteran. this is when many 8 year qb's would be entering their prime.

batch is from pittsburgh, loves the city and the team and will be living out a dream. this has to give him extra incentive to do well.

j. bettis, w. parker, d. staley, excellent wr and te core. and the best d in the nfl.

hes not a complete unknown like b. st. pierre. batch has proven he can play and start in the nfl. im sure no one would rather see brian in there at this point.

we all know steelerfans can be quick to turn on a qb who doesnt perform. i hope the fans at the game next week cheer loud and often and keep the boo-birds away if he makes an early mistake. confidence will be key for him and i think the fans support will give him this. no need to shake his confidence and turn on him too quick, because at this point he is critical in going 4-1, and on.

squirreljr_98 10-11-2005 10:07 AM

Re: Reasons to be optimistic about C. Batch

So true, Hip...

I though CB looked great in preseason.

I have all the confidence in the world that he'll come in and keep pur ship afloat...

Definately not a Big Ben, but has been around our offense enough to know what he has to do for a couple of weeks.

Like you said, if we can have back-ups proforming like starters like last season we'll be OK.

Untill he proves us wrong I'm cheerin' him on... :tt:

SteelR1 10-11-2005 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirreljr_98

Earn your paycheck Charlie, that's all we ask!!!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity 10-11-2005 04:22 PM

we all gotta rally behind charlie if he's the starter. We have enough play makers that we can win w/ him on a temporary basis. :tt:

Prosdo 10-11-2005 04:34 PM

I think Charlie will do well. He has a lot of tools around him to help him do that. Go Charlie!

SteelerFanInATL 10-11-2005 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirreljr_98
So true, Hip...

I though CB looked great in preseason.

I have all the confidence in the world that he'll come in and keep pur ship afloat...

Definately not a Big Ben, but has been around our offense enough to know what he has to do for a couple of weeks.

Like you said, if we can have back-ups proforming like starters like last season we'll be OK.

I second that. I thought he looked good as well. I like the situation we have with our QB's.

HeroDecks 10-12-2005 09:09 AM

With the schedule in front of you the next couple of weeks, there's no way you're gonna win with Batch. Cowher doesn't even trust him to throw the ball. If Batch is in you better hope Bettis, Staley and Parker all bring their A-Games.
Ben is so good because he doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't make any real spectacular plays, just gets his 200 yds a couple TDs and no picks each game and lets the playmakers and defense do their thing.
Batch in a showdown against Cincy for first place in the division is not going to look like Batch in preseason against a bunch of 3rd stringers

squirreljr_98 10-12-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeroDecks
With the schedule in front of you the next couple of weeks, there's no way you're gonna win with Batch. Cowher doesn't even trust him to throw the ball. If Batch is in you better hope Bettis, Staley and Parker all bring their A-Games.
Ben is so good because he doesn't make mistakes. He doesn't make any real spectacular plays, just gets his 200 yds a couple TDs and no picks each game and lets the playmakers and defense do their thing.
Batch in a showdown against Cincy for first place in the division is not going to look like Batch in preseason against a bunch of 3rd stringers

It doesn't look like we'll need CB for an extended period- thanks to a negative MRI...

By the way... I just check'd out your Hero decks and pre-ordered mine

Pretty cool!