Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20785)

lamberts-lost-tooth 10-24-2007 08:50 AM

Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
I think that Chad is a ridiculous selfish butt-clown...but I have to agree with the writer that his selfishness isnt the cause of there woes.


Quote:

Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
By Tom Archdeacon
Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Emmitt Smith came to Chad Johnson's defense the other day on ESPN ? said the flamboyant wide receiver is being made the "escape goat" for the Cincinnati Bengals' woes this season ? and now a lot of those hide-behind-a-bogus-name Internet posters and airwave anonymous radio callers are mocking Smith.

Inarticulate, they say. Embarrassing. A mush-mouthed former jock who doesn't know a scape from an escape.

In my book, some of those web weasels and talk-radio toadies need to get a life. Verbiage aside, Emmitt had it right.

I wrote this in my "Through the Arch" blog after Sunday's Bengals' game and I'm bringing it up here again. Johnson is being unfairly singled out by certain media types, some Bengals fans and, if ESPN's Chris Mortensen is to be believed ? and he's one of the best in the business ? "a prominent member of the Bengals organization."

They say Johnson ? for all those catches against double-and-sometimes-triple-coverage ? might not be worth the trouble. He's high maintenance, they say. Egotistical, divisive, not team-oriented.

Some think the Bengals might be better off to trade him after the season. A few say get rid of him now.

And that brings us back to Smith. His escape goat is perfect terminology.

The Bengals most dynamic player is being turned into a can-chewing, head-butting billy goat while the real culprits are slipping back into the barnyard shadows. I'm talking about:

? A defense that misses tackles, doesn't pressure the quarterback, rarely stops a big-time runner and gives up more than 31 points a game, second-worst in the NFL.

? A coaching staff that hasn't always brought its A game on Sunday afternoons and one Monday night.

? A front office that too often brings in on-their-last-legs, fire-sale free agents who never create so much as a spark here.

? Fellow teammates who flaunt the law and NFL rules until they are arrested, suspended and mothballed for much of the season.

Meanwhile, what has Johnson done?

He's the only player ever to lead his conference in reception yards four years straight. And this season he's second in the NFL to Randy Moss, who's played seven games to his six.

His mere presence on the field ? and the defensive attention that draws ? opens things up for receiving mate T.J. Houshmandzadeh and often spreads the defense enough so that Bengals runners Rudi Johnson and now Kenny Watson don't face an overstacked defensive front.

Johnson works hard in practice, has an overwhelming passion to win and is fun in a mostly tongue-in-cheek way. Off the field, he stays out of trouble, does a lot for the community and charities worldwide and he brings favorable national attention to a city often over looked and a franchise that has been a flop for the better part of two decades.

You want to trade that?

If the team were 4-2, not 2-4, none of this would come up.

And Mortensen's reporting aside, if you want a real insider's tip on this team, there are Bengals players who are malcontents, disrespectful of their coach and poor teammates.

But they're not Chad Johnson.

Like Smith said, he's being made a goat while others escape.

CantStop85 10-24-2007 08:59 AM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
That's ludicrous.

Chad is the reason the defense sucks and why other players can't stay healthy or out of trouble. Damn that selfish bastard.

revefsreleets 10-24-2007 09:00 AM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
There is an awful lot of apology going on in this article. First off, Emmett has to go. The dude just doesn't grasp the English language and I cringe almost as much watching him as I do Michael Scott on "the Office".

Secondly, Chad's antics are a distraction. They ARE "me first". The do run counter to a team philosophy. He DID punch a coach in the locker room at halftime in the Steelers playoff loss. He mouths off in the media. He did have a couple events where he offerred prizes then never gave them away, and I wonder, given his past and his character, as well as the team he plays for, if he's just as much trouble off the field but simply hasn't been caught yet.

Just because the guy throws up stats and is talented shouldn't let him off the hook. He's just as accountable as anyone else on the team IF he kept his mouth shut, but by being vocal, he calls all the extra BAD attention to himself as well. It works both ways.

lamberts-lost-tooth 10-24-2007 09:29 AM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
I think that Chads antics take the attention off some of the real issues...Having a self-promoting idiot on your team would suck....but it STILL beats having a worlthless double-talking coach and a handful of players that cant produce because they are suspended.

83-Steelers-43 10-24-2007 09:33 AM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by revefsreleets (Post 312190)
Secondly, Chad's antics are a distraction. They ARE "me first". The do run counter to a team philosophy. He DID punch a coach in the locker room at halftime in the Steelers playoff loss. He mouths off in the media. He did have a couple events where he offerred prizes then never gave them away, and I wonder, given his past and his character, as well as the team he plays for, if he's just as much trouble off the field but simply hasn't been caught yet.

Just because the guy throws up stats and is talented shouldn't let him off the hook. He's just as accountable as anyone else on the team IF he kept his mouth shut, but by being vocal, he calls all the extra BAD attention to himself as well. It works both ways.

Agree 100%.

By no means do I feel Chad is the ONLY reason why that 'organization' is a complete joke. I mean, look at the head coach for starters. But Chad Johnson doesn't help the problems in my opinion. I wish Chad and that team nothing but the worst. They made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.

tony hipchest 10-24-2007 09:37 AM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
heres delusional chad in a nutshell-

last friday, on his weekly sirius radio spot, he was explaining to schein and wilcots how he has been getting fined for uniform codes violations. he likes to use the black or orange tape to tape up. the nfl mandates players use the white tape. heres his take:

"white doesnt even match... im not gonna go out there looking like a dork."

schein and wilcots appeased his insatiable hunger with much laughter. and i wondered when he hasnt looked like a dork.

clown

TackleMeBen 10-24-2007 09:52 AM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
i find chad to be funny. although i wouldnt mind seeing william gay jack him up this weekend..lol

MasterOfPuppets 10-24-2007 10:41 AM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
here's an old cliche that sums it up......

"if your not part of the solution, then your part of the problem "

Chad's assclown antics certainly aren't making his team better !!! the moron wants no part of being a team leader, because he's to busy trying to be a one man show.

KYSteelersfan 10-24-2007 11:33 AM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 (Post 312203)
Agree 100%.

By no means do I feel Chad is the ONLY reason why that 'organization' is a complete joke. I mean, look at the head coach for starters. But Chad Johnson doesn't help the problems in my opinion. I wish Chad and that team nothing but the worst. They made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.

Is that with or without the underage girls :flap:

I agree, Chad is not THE reason but he doesn't help matters any.

dhosmer 10-24-2007 12:38 PM

Re: Bengals have issues; Chad's not one of 'em
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony hipchest (Post 312204)
heres delusional chad in a nutshell-

last friday, on his weekly sirius radio spot, he was explaining to schein and wilcots how he has been getting fined for uniform codes violations. he likes to use the black or orange tape to tape up. the nfl mandates players use the white tape. heres his take:

"white doesnt even match... im not gonna go out there looking like a dork."

schein and wilcots appeased his insatiable hunger with much laughter. and i wondered when he hasnt looked like a dork.

clown

Porter used to do the exact same thing with his yellow gloves. He would accept league fines every week because he wanted to wear yellow since it matched.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum