Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fair catch call.. (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2087)

Black-n-Gold 10-11-2005 05:10 PM

Fair catch call..

I couldn't believe that they called fair catch interference on that play. He didn't hit him at all, just caught the ball that bounced off the guy's chest. Maybe I missed it, but that got me heated last night...

Prosdo 10-11-2005 05:11 PM

Re: Fair catch call..

I think they need to seriously look at the rule.

SteelerFanInATL 10-11-2005 05:14 PM

I think we will see a rule change at some point due to that play. We clearly should have maintained possesion

tony hipchest 10-11-2005 05:18 PM

bill cowher was quite the diplomat in addressing that play after the game. it was called according to the book. it is a bad rule. bens "fumble" and hines negated td were 2 other bad calls.

Ambridge 10-11-2005 05:22 PM

The ball clearly bounced off of Sproles chest and into Chidi Iwouma's hands.
What was Chidi supposed to do........let the ball fall on the ground so the return man has a clear opportunity to recover his own muffed punt???

RoethlisBURGHer 10-11-2005 05:24 PM

The officiating in that game was absolutley atrocious.Those horrible calls,and then some of those phantom holding calls!

Just like players and coaches,refs seriously need to be fined when they screw up.

tony hipchest 10-11-2005 05:26 PM

atleast the chargers got some flags too. kept me from believing the refs were being paid of. now i think theyre just dumb.

Black-n-Gold 10-11-2005 05:41 PM

this ranks up to that holding call on (I believe it was Tuman) a few weeks back when we were in the redzone. The defense actually held him and they called it on us, I dont see where these calls come from. I got a little too drunk last night, almost threw somehting at the screen in the bar when I saw that bullshit call. I dont see what the rule is that defends that call, fair catch only allows the player to have a clear chance to catch the ball. If they dont make the catch it's a fumble, plan and simple, so maybe he should have let it hit the ground first? Unbelievable..

hardwork 10-11-2005 05:55 PM

I agree with the intent of the rule. If you signal a fair catch, and you bobble it, if it's within reach so you can make a second attempt, you should be able to make that attempt without being interfered with. See, it's really part of the same attempt to catch the ball.

Now, you could argue that last night the ball bounced to far away from him to make a second attempt. Maybe, maybe not. But the point is the guy has signaled a fair catch, and I see no reason why that protection should be sacrificed because you bobble it a bit, yet it's still within reach.

tony hipchest 10-11-2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardwork
I agree with the intent of the rule. If you signal a fair catch, and you bobble it, if it's within reach so you can make a second attempt, you should be able to make that attempt without being interfered with. See, it's really part of the same attempt to catch the ball.

Now, you could argue that last night the ball bounced to far away from him to make a second attempt. Maybe, maybe not. But the point is the guy has signaled a fair catch, and I see no reason why that protection should be sacrificed because you bobble it a bit, yet it's still within reach.

good call hw. b. cowher pretty much expressed the same sentiments. it was still cool to see how pissed off he was on the sidelines when that fumble was overturned.