Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bad Mouthing Bill Cowher!! (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=20996)

SteelDogFan 11-03-2007 09:55 AM

Bad Mouthing Bill Cowher!!

The reason for this post is to say that any negative things said about Bill C. is just plain stupid. That is not a personal attack on anyones character but to think that any real Steelers fan would have a negative mindset towards a coach that kept the Steelers winning tradition going for over ten years is just plain sad. Also to say we could have won more SBs with another coach, any team in the NFL can make that statement, but most of them would take Cower in a heart beat.

I know that we had bad years and i also know that there were some times where his coaching decisions seemed wrong or not right for the situation, But so what, No-one can name a NFL, forget just NFL lets say any professional sporting franchise that has had the same coach, general manager, leader ect, that has kept their team at the top of their league for that amount of time. In the past yes but not at this day and age. You may find one or two but you wont find over five. The Steelers have been at the top in or actually in 1st place in rushing and rushing defense the entire time he was the coach.

Some are actually going as far as to say ALREADY!. That Tomlin is better than Cower.
That doesn't make any sense. Don't misunderstand I think Tomlin is a great coach and believe he will keep the Steelers tradition going strong. Heck I actually believe he will win a Superbowl if he does not change his style.

But to compare him to a Hall Of Fame Coach doesn't make sense. Lets put it like this
Not to put down Tomlin but, he is like George Siefert, Barry Switzer or John Gruden to which he inherited a great team with a lot of talent and everyone is screaming how great his coaching is. I love his style but he hasn't even been through a year of coaching.

If Cower had went to the Cleveland Browns and not the Steelers they may have been the Team with the Superbowl in the last ten years and not us.

I'm going to stop their because I could go on for ever. The next time any Steelers fan reads or hears something negative about a coach that kept you positive and looking forward to Sundays for over t tens years tell them they could go be a Detroit or Arizona fan.

HometownGal 11-03-2007 10:22 AM

Re: Bad Mouthing Bill Cower!!

I'm the type of person who appreciates every contribution made by those who currently wear or formerly wore the black and gold - no matter how much I may like or dislike them (Kordumbell is a prime example).

Having lived in the Burgh all but 2 years of my life, I've become quite accustomed to the breed of "what have you done for me lately" Steelers "fans". I hate to segregate here, but I see this attitude more in the younger crowd than those of us who experienced the highs of the 70's and the lows of the 80's. That being said, I have nothing negative to say about Bill Cowher - he is a legendary Steelers coach and future HOF'er who came here and made a huge difference. He gave us far more good seasons than bad and motivated a 2005 team that was "left for dead", taking them all the way to and winning SB XL. His accomplishments in 15 years as our HC speak for themselves. When I see an anti-Cowher post, I have myself a good laugh and just shake my head in utter amazement. Did the man have faults? Hell yes he did, but don't we all?

Appreciate Coach Cowher for his accomplishments as the HC of the team we all love, wish him well and move on. The Steelers have begun a new era under Coach Tomlin and his staff and thus far, it's looking like a darned good start. :thumbsup:

P.S. I'm waiting with baited breath for the anti-Tomlin thread and posts should, God forbid, the Steelers hit a skid. Who knows - I may need a good laugh then too. :sofunny:

OX1947 11-03-2007 12:38 PM

Re: Bad Mouthing Bill Cowher!!

I cant understand how much more Cowher could have done. The man never had a real QB until Big Ben and it took him 2 years after Ben came to win a title. If O'Donnell has one more come from behind victory in SB XXX, Cowher is sitting with 2 Super Bowls. If Kordell doesn't throw an INT in the 97 AFC championship game in the end zone, we may have gone to SD that year and beat the Packers. Sports sometimes is about the little things that cant be controlled. In 2001, we knocked out Brady, played great D and didnt make mistakes on O until our special teams blew it and then the pressure came on and KS threw 3 INTS.

There is only so much a coach can do. Belecrap wouldnt be where he is right now on 3 rings if it weren't for Brady. I don't care what a genius he is. Give Cowher Brady in 94 and 95, and more then likely the Steelers win those two bowls and who knows how many more after. The game is played by the players, talent wins, coaches can only tell you what you need to do, after that the players have to go out and do it.

RoethlisBURGHer 11-03-2007 02:33 PM

My ONLY problem with Cowher is that he decided to retire right after SB XL but still showed up for the hed coach paycheck through all of 2006.

tony hipchest 11-03-2007 03:44 PM

bunglefans badmouth the likes of coslett and schula. the brownies bemoan palmer and davis.

i look at any badmouthing of cowher as pretty much lightweight.

Quote:

My ONLY problem with Cowher is that he decided to retire right after SB XL but still showed up for the hed coach paycheck through all of 2006.
had he not done that, we woulda missed out on tomlin this year, who i think will prove to be one of the finest head coaches hired in the 21st century.

Steeler in Carolina 11-03-2007 04:25 PM

Last year was a doomed year anyway. With Ben's wreck before the season, to his surgery in training camp. I don't fault Cowher for coming back after the SB. I will always think highly of him and wish him the best in the future.

steelegg 11-03-2007 05:37 PM

i agree that last year had a lot more to do with ben's injury than cowher

Atlanta Dan 11-03-2007 06:35 PM

Roger Angell, who is a writer for The New Yorker specializing in baseball, had a line about game 7 of the 1975 World Series, which followed the epic game 6 - "a very good play that opened the night after the opening night of King Lear."

Most franchises would regard 6 AFC championship appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl ring in 15 years as the pinnacle of the franchise's history - it is Cowher's fortune that he happened to be the coach for a franchise that once won 4 Super Bowls in 6 seasons.

He was a very good coach who approached but did not achieve greatness (4 losses in 5 home AFC championship games:dang:) - certainly no shame in that

Black@Gold Forever32 11-03-2007 06:40 PM

No shame in that at all....But the Bill Cowher era to me was bitter sweet....I very much like Bill Cowher and still do....But it was time for a change and I was ready and happy with the change.....

It wasn't all his fault also for his less then stellar record in AFC title games...But still coaching has to take part of the blame.......

Now Bill takes no blame for the Super Bowl XXX loss....Thats all on Neil....lol Freaking rat....lol

Black@Gold Forever32 11-03-2007 06:43 PM

Re: Bad Mouthing Bill Cower!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal (Post 315261)
I'm the type of person who appreciates every contribution made by those who currently wear or formerly wore the black and gold - no matter how much I may like or dislike them (Kordumbell is a prime example).

Having lived in the Burgh all but 2 years of my life, I've become quite accustomed to the breed of "what have you done for me lately" Steelers "fans". I hate to segregate here, but I see this attitude more in the younger crowd than those of us who experienced the highs of the 70's and the lows of the 80's. That being said, I have nothing negative to say about Bill Cowher - he is a legendary Steelers coach and future HOF'er who came here and made a huge difference. He gave us far more good seasons than bad and motivated a 2005 team that was "left for dead", taking them all the way to and winning SB XL. His accomplishments in 15 years as our HC speak for themselves. When I see an anti-Cowher post, I have myself a good laugh and just shake my head in utter amazement. Did the man have faults? Hell yes he did, but don't we all?

Appreciate Coach Cowher for his accomplishments as the HC of the team we all love, wish him well and move on. The Steelers have begun a new era under Coach Tomlin and his staff and thus far, it's looking like a darned good start. :thumbsup:

P.S. I'm waiting with baited breath for the anti-Tomlin thread and posts should, God forbid, the Steelers hit a skid. Who knows - I may need a good laugh then too. :sofunny:

I wanted to follow up on the younger generation of Steelers fans that Hometown mentions...I think she is exactly right......Growing up a Steelers fan my whole life I heard all about the great Steel Curtain teams from my family and so wanted to experience at least one Super Bowl win...Thats why until Super Bowl XL I was really getting tired of seeing Cowher led teams fall short...lol But I can die happy that at least I saw one Super Bowl title......I hope its not the last though.....:thumbsup: