Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   An interesting discussion... (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21146)

Edman 11-07-2007 03:22 PM

An interesting discussion...

How do the 2007 Steelers(as of this point) fare against the other good Steelers teams of the past? This may sound blasphemous, but this includes those 90's teams.

Ths guy calls them the best, most balanced Steelers team since 1979. Debates ensue.

http://forums.stillers.com/forums/de...g=posts&t=2560

HometownGal 11-07-2007 03:30 PM

Re: An interesting discussion...

In all honesty, Ed - I'd have to wait to see where this season goes before I could legitimately agree or disagree here.

Atlanta Dan 11-07-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal (Post 318359)
In all honesty, Ed - I'd have to wait to see where this season goes before I could legitimately agree or disagree here.

Yep - after the 2005 rollercoaster (7-2 to 7-5 to 8 straight wins and a ring), comparing how this mid-season team compares to those who ran the complete course is premature.

Injuries to Ben and Marvel Smith nearly derailed the 2005 season and obviously can do so again.

BlastFurnace 11-07-2007 04:45 PM

I'll take a stab at it:

I'm not going to compare it to any team before 1992. The 70's is out of the question and the 80's were...for the most part...a bunch of average to bad teams.

IMO, we had 3 era's under Cowher. 1992 - 1997, 1998 - 2000, and 2001 - 2006.

If you compare this team to the 1992-1997 Steelers...

I believe we are stronger at:

QB

WR / TE

RB (overall) - I think Willie and Dump Truck as a whole are better than the 1994 tandem of Foster / Morris, 1995 tandem of Morris / Pegram and better than Bettis / Pegram of 1996.

DL - Seals / Steed / Buckner were really good in 1994 and 1995, and Nolan Harrison and Kevin Henry were OK, but nothing special in 1997-8. Our current group is better when you take the starters and add Hoke and Kirshcke to them.

We are weaker at:

OL - I don't think there is a comparison here at all.

LB - I like our LB's now, but the tandem of Lloyd / Kirkland / Brown / Greene was downright intimidating and good. Gildon wasn't bad either in 1996-97.

DB's - Woodson / Figures / Williams / Lake / Perry / Bell vs. Taylor / Townsend / Polamalu / Smith / Clark. Woodson is better than Taylor, but Townsend is better than Figures. Lake was a special safety and I would take him over Polamalu. Perry was better than Smith is......right now...but I believe that will change in a year or two.

1998 - 2000 is not worth discussing. We clearly regressed. And...do we really want to discuss the merits of Kris Farris, Jamaine Stephens, Carlos Emmons, etc.

It's hard to compare this team to the Cowher teams of 2001 - 2006 because many of the same players are on this team. The one clear advantage from 2001-3 is at QB. This could be a special year, but so far, the only thing we have accomplished is a 6-2 record at midseason. We will see where it goes.

jjpro11 11-07-2007 04:51 PM

the oline is what keeps us from being as good as those teams and even the 2004-2005 team. maybe the oline will gel and become a strength by the end of the season. right now though its just too weak.

SEMP 11-07-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

DB's - Woodson / Figures / Williams / Lake / Perry / Bell vs. Taylor / Townsend / Polamalu / Smith / Clark. Woodson is better than Taylor, but Townsend is better than Figures. Lake was a special safety and I would take
D.J Johnson played across from Woodson for a few years and was pretty good considering the pressure a corner who plays across from one of all time greats gets.

BlastFurnace 11-07-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMP (Post 318540)
D.J Johnson played across from Woodson for a few years and was pretty good considering the pressure a corner who plays across from one of all time greats gets.

DJ was a decent CB. The thing I remember about him was getting thrown out of the playoff game against the Chiefs for kicking someone in the head.

We could have used him on that final drive that Montana made to win the game for them. The Steelers should have won that game.

jjpro11 11-07-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMP (Post 318540)

townsend has been playing very well this year. he has been flying under the radar of the other dbs.

Rhee Rhee 11-08-2007 01:45 AM

idk like name wise that 70's team is incredible how many HOFers? like 6 or 7? sometin like dat on offfense again incredible i dont think any team ever can compare to the steelers teams of the 70's

Atlanta Dan 11-08-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlastFurnace (Post 318545)
DJ was a decent CB. The thing I remember about him was getting thrown out of the playoff game against the Chiefs for kicking someone in the head.

We could have used him on that final drive that Montana made to win the game for them. The Steelers should have won that game.

The blocked punt that set up the tying TD didn't help either:dang:

That Chiefs loss is when Cowher's playoff woes really got rolling.