Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   NFL Football (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Deion Branch was spit on by Steelers fan? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21162)

SteelersMongol 11-08-2007 11:43 AM

Deion Branch was spit on by Steelers fan?

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) -The last time Deion Branch was in uniform on a field, he was getting spit on by a fan while limping into the locker room in Pittsburgh.

Since that disgusting exit a month ago, the Seahawks' leading receiver and former Super Bowl MVP has gone from soaring to just plain sore. After 20 catches for 329 yards in three games, Branch has missed Seattle's last three games with a badly sprained right foot that he initially feared may require surgery.

The foot was tightly wrapped and propped on a seat Wednesday, as Branch sat behind the wheel of an equipment cart and watched the middling Seahawks (4-4) practice yet again without him.

He joked with kicker Josh Brown and laughed as teammates passed by preparing for Monday night's game against San Francisco (2-6) without him.

"Feeling good. Just day-to-day," Branch said, smiling unconvincingly on a day coach Mike Holmgren said that Branch was iffy to return against the 49ers.

At least Branch wasn't getting spit on.

"I'm probably one of the most notorious, hated guys in Pittsburgh, just from the New England days ... when they feel like they should have won a Super Bowl," he said.

His former Patriots beat the favored Steelers on the road in the AFC championship game at the end of the 2004 season, when Branch had a game-high 116 yards receiving and the game-breaking touchdown in the fourth quarter.

As Branch was sitting on the back of a cart getting driven into the locker room during the first half of a 21-0 loss at Pittsburgh Oct. 7, he said a fan in the lower deck of Heinz Field who had been heckling him for hours spat on him and yelled, "I told you I was going to get you!"

Branch could be seen on network television looking up, angrily gesturing to the fan and shouting, "I'll be back."

Sure enough, Branch hobbled back out to confront the fan.

"I went in, came right back. But I think they went and got the guy," Branch said. "He was arrested.

"A drip landed on my arm. I think that's the worst thing you can do. They ask us, as professionals, not to go in the crowd. But these guys, the fans ... you can say whatever you want to say to me, but don't try to do that. Don't try to spit on somebody." ...

http://sports.excite.com/news/11072007/v3879.html

SteelersMongol 11-08-2007 11:46 AM

Re: Deion Branch was spit on by Steelers fan?

What kind of Steelers man would spit on the opponents' player? :dang: Sorry, just found this out, didn't know before. :banging:

fansince'76 11-08-2007 11:54 AM

Nice "unbiased" reporting by the writer in Kirkland, WA. He conveniently forgot to mention what prompted it - namely, Branch acting like a classless assclown during the '04 AFCCG (while he was still with the Patriots - what a stretch, huh?). I don't condone the act, and the guy who did it is a complete jackass, but it wasn't completely undeserved either.

HometownGal 11-08-2007 11:58 AM

Even the Steelers fan base has some classless idiots. From my own personal experience in dating a member of the team back in the early 90's, I can tell you that not only are players exposed to fans' vile behaviors, but so are family members and g/f's. I had beer spilled on me deliberately several times and was hit in the head with a foil hot dog wrapper rolled up into a ball because he had a bad game one Sunday afternoon and I was wearing his jersey (sitting with the players' wives and g/f's). I also was spit on once and called filthy names by some of the drunken morons who took a loss way too far.

X-Terminator 11-08-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HometownGal (Post 318698)
Even the Steelers fan base has some classless idiots. From my own personal experience in dating a member of the team back in the early 90's, I can tell you that not only are players exposed to fans' vile behaviors, but so are family members and g/f's. I had beer spilled on me deliberately several times and was hit in the head with a foil hot dog wrapper rolled up into a ball because he had a bad game one Sunday afternoon and I was wearing his jersey (sitting with the players' wives and g/f's). I also was spit on once and called filthy names by some of the drunken morons who took a loss way too far.

Yep, this says it all. As much as we all love to rag on Bengals and Patriots fans for being classless idiots, we can't ignore what goes on in our own back yard. It's why I hate reading this message board after a loss, because the way some people post and how pissed they get over a freaking football game, I see the same mentality that causes this kind of behavior. It's unconscionable, unacceptable behavior and cannot be justified under any circumstances.

onthebus36 11-08-2007 12:45 PM

I don't excuse this kind of behavior but when you get 65,000+ people together, you are bound to have some classless idiots. And that goes for any group.

By the same token, you can't judge a group by the actions of a few.

HometownGal 11-08-2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onthebus36 (Post 318708)
I don't excuse this kind of behavior but when you get 65,000+ people together, you are bound to have some classless idiots. And that goes for any group.

By the same token, you can't judge a group by the actions of a few.

More like drunken idiots. Those who usually cause trouble at sporting events have had a few too many brews.

Crushzilla 11-08-2007 01:51 PM

Every fan base has great fans and obnoxious jack asses.

What dictates if a team's fans are D Bags or not is how much those ones stand out

Except for Patriots fans... they are all jack asses...

Today one said. This year we're going to get our 5th Super Bowl in 10 years. How long did it take the Steelers to do that 30 years?

"Actually it would be their 4th in 7 years and to answer your question, the Steelers did it in 6. So... they aren't sweating it either."

rbryan 11-08-2007 02:21 PM

So are you gonna keep us in suspense, who was the player you dated??

Dynasty 11-08-2007 04:34 PM

It's a secret, protected by a mysterious order only known as.... the Moderators.