Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Sports Dimension (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bonds indicted by federal grand jury (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21365)

Mosca 11-15-2007 04:24 PM

Bonds indicted by federal grand jury

Perjury and obstruction of justice. Headlines only so far, story still being written.

83-Steelers-43 11-15-2007 04:31 PM

Re: Bonds indicted by federal grand jury

I'm sure he will get off clean.......:yawn:

Barry Bonds indicted on perjury, obstruction charges
Associated Press
Updated: November 15, 2007, 5:27 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO -- Baseball superstar Barry Bonds was charged Thursday with perjury and obstruction of justice for allegedly lying when he said he did not use performance-enhancing drugs.

The indictment, unsealed Thursday by federal prosecutors in San Francisco, is the culmination of a four-year federal probe into whether he lied under oath to a grand jury investigating steroid use by elite athletes.

The indictment comes three months after the 43-year-old Bonds, one of the biggest names in professional sports, passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's career home run leader, his sport's most hallowed record. Bonds, who parted ways with the San Francisco Giants at the end of last season and has yet to sign with another team, also holds the game's single-season home run record of 73.

While Bonds was chasing Aaron amid the adulation of San Franciscans and the scorn of baseball fans almost everywhere else, due to his notoriously prickly personality and nagging steroid allegations, a grand jury quietly worked behind closed doors to put the finishing touches on the long-rumored indictment.

"I'm surprised," said John Burris, one of Bonds' attorneys, "but there's been an effort to get Barry for a long time. "I'm curious what evidence they have now they didn't have before."

The indictment charges Bonds with lying when he said that he didn't knowingly take steroids given to him by his personal trainer Greg Anderson. He also denied taking steroids at anytime in 2001 when he was pursuing the single season home-run record.

"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment reads.

He is also charged with lying that Anderson never injected him with steroids.

"Greg wouldn't do that," Bonds testified in December 2003 when asked if Anderson ever gave him any drugs that needed to be injected. "He knows I'm against that stuff."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112487

verks36 11-15-2007 05:10 PM

I know barry probblly took riods

but i hope he doesnt get convicted

He is the scape goat for all the other steroid use in baseball at the time it isnt like he was the only guy on it and its not like you inject yourself and poof you automatically get the home run record

polamalufan43 11-15-2007 05:32 PM

Uh,

Simple,
work hard, don't do 'roids
you'll be better off

simplest lesson ever.

~PF43:tt02:

verks36 11-15-2007 05:51 PM

Ok they investgated him fo 4YEARS
IF the government watches any1 that long they will find them doing something illegal

btw nice sig

Godfather 11-15-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 (Post 322799)
I'm sure he will get off clean.......:yawn:

Why would you possibly think a famous person will beat the rap in California?

Borski 11-15-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verks36 (Post 322812)
I know barry probblly took riods

but i hope he doesnt get convicted

He is the scape goat for all the other steroid use in baseball at the time it isnt like he was the only guy on it and its not like you inject yourself and poof you automatically get the home run record

I agree, I've been defending this guy in the past, I know he most likely took 'roids, but back then every one was doing it and it wasn't against the rules or even against the law back then. some people recommended them saying it was good for your body.

83-Steelers-43 11-16-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polamalufan43 (Post 322818)
Uh,

Simple,
work hard, don't do 'roids
you'll be better off

simplest lesson ever.

~PF43:tt02:

:thumbsup::cheers::nw:

http://www.scaredmonkeys.com/fun-ima...ater_small.jpg

HometownGal 11-16-2007 07:39 AM

Maybe he can get a job as a water boy with the Cheatriots since they have so much in common. :thumbsup:

I hope they fry this loser. His Dad must be turning in his grave.

revefsreleets 11-16-2007 08:07 AM

"During the criminal investigation, evidence was obtained including positive tests for the presence of anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing substances for Bonds and other athletes," the indictment reads."

Barry is a 600-650 career HR guy who cheated, then lied (and is continuing to lie) about it all.

Hope he gets 10 years, a permanent MLB ban and excommunication from the HOF.