Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Blast Furnace (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Carson Palmer a little above average? (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2157)

wildjames 10-16-2005 07:48 PM

Carson Palmer a little above average?

Hi I am a new user from Cincinnati interested in interacting with rivals from the AFC North. I am responding to the remark made by the fellow in this thread

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...6&page=2&pp=10

I find that remark about Carson Palmer about as ridiculous as you can get. Now I could go on about the 30 or something odd other ludacris (sp) remarks I have read from you in only 7-10 minutes of browsing your forums, but this one jumped out at me. Since you're so good at statistics, let's take a look here shall we?

Carson Palmer is 7-2 in his last 9 games played. (Missing the last 3 games of the 2004 season with an injury). He has now tied an NFL record with 8 games of 100+ passer rating in each game. Hardly an average quarterback. The only 2 losses in his last 8 games? At Superbowl champion New England by 7 points last year, and this year's Jacksonville game by 3 points.

Big Ben (awesome quarterback), right now as of 8:30 on Sunday night leads the NFL in passer rating with a rating of 123.8. Second is Carson at 111.4. Looking deeper at the statistics, is it true Ben has thrown 0 interceptions this year, but he has also attempted about half as many passes as any other quarterback in the league. Carson is first in the AFC in touchdown passes with 11. Combine that with only 2 interceptions (none in the last 14 quarters), and I hardly see a 'slightly above average quarterback'. Also consider that Carson was in the top 10 for quarterbacks in the preseason fantasy projections, while Big Ben was down in the 20's. Today Carson was 27 for 33 with 2 TDs and 0 INTs in Tennessee against a decent Tennessee defense ranked 9th in the AFC in yards allowed.

Unless you think that your own quarterback is just slightly above average, then it's absolutely ridiculous to think anything near that of Palmer. Maybe your standards of quality for an NFL quarterback are different than mine, and if so, you are correct in your own assessment. The way I look at it is, we both have QBs that will become probably the most elite quarterbacks in the league (save for Manning), for a very long time to come, as well as an enjoyable rivalry for the division crown year after year. I rooted for Pittsburgh in the playoffs last year since Cincinnati didn't make it. Most people on this board seem to enjoy saying that the Bengals have not played anyone yet and their record means nothing. They have no control over whom they play, and playing in Chicago is no guarantee, and we lost to Jacksonville by 3 points in Jacksonville...and you guys couldn't beat them at home (without 2 starters, but alas we were without TJ, our starting safety, and lost the starting and backup center during the game). Today we beat a decent Tennessee team on their home field, and look forward to the showdown next week in Cincinnati. I would expect that we may win next week, and you guys will beat us when we visit Pittsburgh later in the year, as is usually what happens when two good teams play twice in one year. Yes the Bengals don't have near the history that the Steelers do, but we're excited with what we have now, and we've been waiting a long time to have a team that kicks ass, so we're excited. If you thought so little of the Bengals, why are there so many Bengals threads on the smackdown board? I dont see many if any at all Browns or Ravens threads. It's a good rivalry, and you may ask why don't I just stay put on my own teams boards? Well it's no fun AGREEING with everyone the entire time....

<bengals_fan1> Bengals win we rule!
<bengals_fan2> yeah man we rule!

I find that boring, lol. Now I know I'm in an ocean full of sharks posting at a site like this, but I enjoy the challenge, it's the NFL right? Cheers all

James

tony hipchest 10-16-2005 10:26 PM

Re: Carson Palmer a little above average?

james, we can agree on alot. ben and carson should be considered the future of the afc north. both of our teams should be glad that k. boller is not our qb. mush respect goes to c. palmer and its nice to see it coming to ben from a bengals fan. many fans of other teams in the afc north like to bash bens accomplishments even though they secretly would love him on their team. pittsburgh should be happy for their #11 draft pick (it is seldom they have a pick in the top 10, and will probably never have a #1 pick in the draft) the bengals finally got it right with their #1 draft pick. i wont mention all their failures wityh early 1st round picks. ben and carson are the 2 best young qb's in the league and only a sb win or career victories will define which one is better. (ill put my $$$ on ben) welcome to the steelers forum. logical debate like that which you presented is always welcome in my eyes.

tony hipchest 10-16-2005 10:29 PM

james, keep in mind that ben has had a bye week and didnt play today when looking at pass attempts. why throw for 3 interceptions a game and lose when you can hand off 10 more times than the league average and win?

BlitzburghRockCity 10-16-2005 10:57 PM

Ben and Carson are 2 of the youngest and most successful QB's this league has seen in a long time.. the issues that most have on this board about carson and the bengals in general is that they havent really played anyone yet.. the teams they've defeated are sub par at best w/ inadequacies all over their teams.

I and most of us on here dont have a problem w/ the bengal fans tooting their own horn..they have a right to cheer for their team and be excited..but when you read the threads over on cincybengals.com and others like it..all to many of them are already touting their team is the greatest thing in the NFL. A combination of good play from the team in general and also a weak schedule are BOTH responsible for the success of the bengals.

Glad to have you on SF !! Welcome!

ironcitychef 10-17-2005 12:53 AM

I agree that Carson is a bonafide legit QB. I'm biased so lets not talk all the best stuff, all I wan't to point out is Ben is currently upping him in all career categories just enough to keep all Bengals fans miffed. All I can say is blame the other USC Trojan that spoiled Carson last year, cause Troy made sure Carson didn't leave with a win. But here is to putting your eggs in a better basket than Kyle Boller.

BB2W 10-23-2005 11:59 PM

I think Palmer will be a great QB, but it seems like Ben will always be just a little bit better. :smile:

Head to head QB ratings from this weeks game...

Ben............... 109.7

Carson.......... 72.1

BlitzburghRockCity 10-24-2005 01:32 AM

Yep, Ben is still the highest rated QB in the league !!

RoethlisBURGHer 10-24-2005 09:44 AM

I agree,Carson Palmer is one of the top QB's in the game right now.He's got the weapons at WR and the smarts.

But I think the Jax game showed that Ben does more than jsut hand the ball off.

ironcitychef 10-24-2005 11:01 AM

Again, just another addition to Ben beating out Carson by just enough to make Bengals fans jealous. Carson still does have a cannon though.

clevestinks 10-25-2005 04:39 AM

Palmer is good, Ben is better right now. Fact is Palmer has not beat a team over .500 yet. So these meaningless wins mean nothing. When he starts playing well with the big boys , then we will get a better idea of what he is made of.