Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Young Secondary (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=2158)

SteelProven 10-16-2005 09:07 PM

Young Secondary

I know it's kind of hard to find a bright spot. But, Mcfadden Int, Taylors near Int if it wasn't for Wee Williams, and Coke. I think we have the makens of a very formidable unit, IMO. If it wasn't for T. Maddox there would be a lot more talk on how they played today.

Koopa 10-16-2005 09:22 PM

Re: Young Secondary

yup, mcfadden i loved it, has more ints then tackles but that's good lol, on a few other steelers message boards i said he's the future for us and today we got a glimpse of what we gonna be seeing next year and many years after. something about him that i like, plus he wears the same number as manu ginobili of the spurs so you know he's gonna be good lol.

tony hipchest 10-16-2005 09:27 PM

the zone blitz scheme requires the steelers secondary to often be matched up one on one. they play excellent considering the scheme they play in. they take alot of heat but it is often overlooked that they dont play in a cover-2. they are also great in run coverage. the zone blitz is not cb friendly and this secondary (other than polamalu0 will never see the credit it deserves. much like casey haqmpton doesnt put up any numbers but is integral in what the steelers do. i. taylor was plastered to the dude he was covering all day. great job.

TasmanianTroy271 10-16-2005 09:31 PM

Yea, I was starting to wonder where we traded our second round pick to (sarcasm). I hope he really steps it up and starts sometime next year, cause I like his attitude and that INT, even though those arent his specialty. I have a feeling if he meshes and plays up to potential, he could be a staple in the steelers defense for a while

P.S. This draft might be looked back on as an excellant draft. We have definite starter Heath Miller, and alot of potential from Bryant, Goo, Chris, Shawn Nua, Noah, and Andre Frazier. Here's to the class of 2005/2006!

Koopa 10-16-2005 09:37 PM

well the reason he didn't get a lot of ints in college is cause they never really threw his way, according to him and all the scouting reports i read on him.

SteelProven 10-16-2005 09:56 PM

With D. Townsend ailing with a hamsting injury we could see a lot more of Coke, or Mcfadden. Which could be a good thing for the steelers right now. To me Ike can cover the opposition best WR and Coke or Mcfadden can cover the other. Ike to me has reminded me a little of R. Woodson, by the way he plays the run and is good in pass coverage. If he could just hold on to the ball people would be talking about him be the best cover corner right now. He should have at least 4ints he's in position at least once a game to pick one off. But I'll say the ones he's dropping now will be catches towards the end of the season. Cause once he gets a taste for that first one it's all down hill after that.

BlitzburghRockCity 10-16-2005 10:00 PM

I have no problems w/ the way our secondary is. we've got 4 great starters, and solid depth..they are all fast, young, and hit hard !! thats what you want. Even willie williams is still playing at a high level. Our defense doesnt have a real weakness, we've got solid players all around and the secondary is no different.

tony hipchest 10-16-2005 10:05 PM

mcfadden was drafted for a reason and most of the time the steelers scouting dept is correct. most defenders have no chance of sniffing a starting spot on the steelers defense because it is such a complex system to learn. i. taylor only played one year of cb in his life before being drafted. it took him a few years. polamalu was a bench dude his 1st year. foote and hope waited several years to get a start just like every steeler lb except for bell. mcfadden will be really good. he needs to learn though. no one knew who porter, haggans, gildon, harrison, foote, colclough, smith, von olhoffen, farrior etc. were before they became steelers who learned the system

TasmanianTroy271 10-16-2005 10:15 PM

The only real Gripe you can have is that we're in the inbetween phase; We're in that place when out Vets are going out and the future's getting better. We don't have any real big playmakers besides Troy, but that'll change with time. I just hope Colclough progresses...

ironcitychef 10-17-2005 01:22 AM

Considering we can continue to add depth, our secondary will become a strength in future years. Need to start thinking about the aging line in four years though...